Which TPMS to buy?

Id4rob

I see an older thread in this Tire & Wheel forum that at first extols the virtues of the TP Checker TPMS about four years ago, but then comes back to give an update to say they are junk. The system discussed appears to be Orange Electronics M202, the very unit I had in my Amazon Cart until I came to my senses and realized I needed to do more homework.

I have seen reviews on several inside-the-wheel systems stating that some do not fit certain rear wheels. I guess a way around this issue is to use the type that installs on the valve stem, but that seems kind of Mickey Mouse to me. I prefer a unit that mounts inside the wheel like on my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500. But, maybe the fit risk is too great?

What have other NT owners installed?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
As I responded in another thread, the Orange Electronics unit has worked well for me the last two years and sensor fitment is not an issue on the NT's wheels.

Mike

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I use the Hawks Head, external type. Mainly cause I can use it with my trailer and the bike.

I chose not to get the internal type because I change my own tires. I just know I'd crack one of them with a tire iron :)

If I didn't already have a GPS I'd seriously look at the Garmin unit that has GPS as part of it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just bought the Doran Manufacturing unit from Mac. It came yesterday and I'll mount it in the next week or so. It has external sensors, but I can't see any reason that they won't work. I'll let you know how it goes when I've had some experience with it.

The sensor batteries supposedly last 4-5 years and then you have to buy new sensors. I don't know how much they'll cost yet, but have sent Doran an email asking that question.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That's one reason I bought the Hawks Head. Replaceable batteries (2016's).

Most of the external sensors cost $25-30 each.

OP
OP

Id4rob

Well, since I have some big rides coming up (San Antonio x 2 and Minneapolis x 1), I went ahead and bought the Orange Electric M202. I just received them yesterday and will have the sending units installed this week/weekend and I'll do the power wiring and mounting of the display unit. I'm thinking of putting over one of the "vents" on the dash. I'll let everybody know how it goes and post some pics.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Well, since I have some big rides coming up (San Antonio x 2 and Minneapolis x 1), I went ahead and bought the Orange Electric M202. I just received them yesterday and will have the sending units installed this week/weekend and I'll do the power wiring and mounting of the display unit. I'm thinking of putting over one of the "vents" on the dash. I'll let everybody know how it goes and post some pics.
That's where I put my display, on the left side vent. Works well there and the wiring is easily accomplished by removing the left side cowl vent. You will be very happy with the unit.

Mike

OP
OP

Id4rob

Mike, you're right. I am pleased with the TPMS, although I used a different mountin glocation than the vent. I also noticed the TPMS sensors have an August 2011 manufacture date so I am a little concerned with their longevity. Attached are some photos. Also shown is the Centech auxilliary fuse block I mounted to power it. I just need to move the 12VDC lighter socket mounted in the my right side stash pocket from driectly fed from the battery to the new fuse block.

Attachments

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
That's what I did. My wife has been wanting a GPS for her NT, so I picked up the Garmin Zumo 590LM with 2 TPMS sensors. Very nice system. It provides pressure read out to 0.1lbs and provides a history of pressure readings so you can see how the pressures go up/down during a ride among the other standard TPMS options (pressure setting, warning level, etc).

The sensors are quite small compared to the other external sensors I've seen and used. I also like that the batteries are easily replaceable.

The only downside with the external mount is with the front rim. I had installed 90 degree valve stems on both rims. The rear has plenty of clearance with the TPMS sensor cap and the angled stem. The front however does not. It was within 1/32-1/16" of the brake caliper. A bit close for my liking. So I purchased a 3/4" straight stem and replaced the angle valve stem. Something to keep in mind for anyone mounting external sensors on the front rim. You'll want to use a straight metal stem.

I use the Hawks Head, external type. Mainly cause I can use it with my trailer and the bike.

I chose not to get the internal type because I change my own tires. I just know I'd crack one of them with a tire iron :)

If I didn't already have a GPS I'd seriously look at the Garmin unit that has GPS as part of it.

OP
OP

Id4rob

Sailariel -

I believe an M202 is an M202. It my research, I did not find any variances that led me to believe there were multiple models with same part number.

Rob

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
According to the Orange Electronic website, they have two models.

M202 which has a 1.9 cm valve length and the M202L which has a 2.9 cm valve length.

My current ones are about 2.5 cm so I'm trying to figure out which size to order. I'm thinking the shorter one as my electronic tire guage is pretty tight on what I have now.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, I lied about 2-3 months ago when I said I was going to mount the Doran TPMS in a week or two. I still haven't gotten around to doing it.

But I'm going to! I promise. This week!!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You guys with the internal systems, do you change your own tires? Just wondering how easy it is to avoid them with the tire irons.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
That's what I did. My wife has been wanting a GPS for her NT, so I picked up the Garmin Zumo 590LM with 2 TPMS sensors. Very nice system. It provides pressure read out to 0.1lbs and provides a history of pressure readings so you can see how the pressures go up/down during a ride among the other standard TPMS options (pressure setting, warning level, etc).

The sensors are quite small compared to the other external sensors I've seen and used. I also like that the batteries are easily replaceable.

The only downside with the external mount is with the front rim. I had installed 90 degree valve stems on both rims. The rear has plenty of clearance with the TPMS sensor cap and the angled stem. The front however does not. It was within 1/32-1/16" of the brake caliper. A bit close for my liking. So I purchased a 3/4" straight stem and replaced the angle valve stem. Something to keep in mind for anyone mounting external sensors on the front rim. You'll want to use a straight metal stem.
Another possibility is mounting those 90-degree stems offset from being parallel to the axle, so they are like 45 deg from the plane of the wheel.

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Last time I tried a 90-degree stem, I had a catastrophic loss of pressure. Seems the centrifical force tore the new stem away from the rim. I admit that it was a rubber stem, but don't know that I'd feel that much safer with a metal one. My shop won't even install them anymore and actually pulled all the valve caps off the shelves that had any significant weight to them - you know, the ones that look like an eightball or dice or whatever - even the caps that are designed to show (green/yellow/red) the current pressure.

I'm looking to get the Orange Electronic TPMS with the internal sensor to prevent them from being stolen. I'll have the shop install them. Looks like I'm going with the M202 version.

Another possibility is mounting those 90-degree stems offset from being parallel to the axle, so they are like 45 deg from the plane of the wheel.

I'm off to Glacier National Park and Yellowstone in about three days. My cheap version of a tire sensor has been to buy the tire pressure caps that simply go onto the valve stem. Car stores carry them. The highest psi reading they have is 36 psi. At or above that psi, a little 'green' bar is showing. This is a very cheap and easy way to see if I've lost pressure. I think the tire pressure for the front is supposed to be 36 psi and this stem is 'perfect.' The back psi is supposed to be 40 psi I think, but this gauge gets me close. I think four valve stems pressure caps were about $8.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I admit that it was a rubber stem, but don't know that I'd feel that much safer with a metal one.
Cameron, I had a rubber valve stem break when I put a BMW 90-degree valve stem adaptor on it so I could air up the rear tire of my C-10 Concours. It was an exciting few seconds getting stopped from 75-mph!

But I've had both 45-degree and 90-degree metal stems on every wheel since then. I don't think there's any danger of them breaking even with the weight of the Doran TPMS sensors added. They attach through the wheel and have a nut on the backside of the rim that holds them secure. If that were loose, you wouldn't be able to hold air in the tire and I've never seen one loosen.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I also have no problem not having a TPMS. The advantage is when my tires feel funny I can just press a button to see the pressure rather than have to stop and check them.

Before I would check once a week and would usually have to add a few pounds.

It is also interesting to see how much tire temp and pressure changes during a day and a ride. Start out at 60deg. Ride a distance and ambient temp up into the 90's the pressures and tire temps get high enough to be scary :)

Top Bottom