Which TPMS to buy?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I would never mount a rubber mounted 90 degree stem on any tire. They are plain dangerous unless the rim is designed for it. Those designed for it have a clip that attaches to the stem to keep it from flexing.

The 90 degree solid mount stems are not an issue if correctly installed.

Last time I tried a 90-degree stem, I had a catastrophic loss of pressure. Seems the centrifical force tore the new stem away from the rim. I admit that it was a rubber stem, but don't know that I'd feel that much safer with a metal one. My shop won't even install them anymore and actually pulled all the valve caps off the shelves that had any significant weight to them - you know, the ones that look like an eightball or dice or whatever - even the caps that are designed to show (green/yellow/red) the current pressure.

I'm looking to get the Orange Electronic TPMS with the internal sensor to prevent them from being stolen. I'll have the shop install them. Looks like I'm going with the M202 version.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
It depends on the size of the sensor but in general, it is not difficult to remove/install tires without damaging the sensor. You just need to be disciplined to stay about 5" away from the location of the sensor. Just never use a tool in that general area and you'll be okay.

You also need to be cognizant of when removing the final bead that the edge of the tire doesn't catch the sensor. You just need to make sure the tire is above the sensor before pulling the final bead.

You guys with the internal systems, do you change your own tires? Just wondering how easy it is to avoid them with the tire irons.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
That might be possible if you have a high profile 90 degree stem. I use the low profile solid aluminum ones and if you turn the stem, you wouldn't be able to screw on the sensor as there isn't enough room between the valve and the rim.

Another possibility is mounting those 90-degree stems offset from being parallel to the axle, so they are like 45 deg from the plane of the wheel.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
When putting any weight on the valve stems one needs to recognize that there is not just centrifugal/centripetal force at work. But the valve stem, indeed all of the wheel, tire, brake disc, etc., even at a constant speed is continually undergoing oscillating acceleration forces fore and aft. The velocity change is proportional to the distance from the center of the axle. The simplest depiction to use is that the upper surface of the tire is going roughly twice the speed of the vehicle and the road-contacting patch has essentially zero speed. The valve stem, of course, is closer to the axis of rotation, so the velocity oscillations are less severe. At the typical straight-stem valve cap location, a good back-of-the-envelope approximation would likely be a variation between 50% above and below vehicle speed, so maybe 90MPH-30MPH at 60 MPH., at maybe 15 Hertz. Picture the valve stem wiggling back and forth in the plane of the wheel to some degree. A heavier valve cap increases the force required to produce the velocity variation, so more motion in the stem.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Metal valve stems don't seem to notice the weight of these things (bike or RV). Last time I mounted a new tire I checked balance with and without. No change.

But, I don't use 90 deg stems either.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The Doran TPMS valve caps are heavy enough that I needed to add .5oz more weight to balance the tire.

Doran has a very stern warning to NOT place these on anything other than a solid mount, steel stem.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
ALL of the external sensors I have looked into have warnings to only use on metal valve stems. It may only be a little weight, but, it will move enough to crack a rubber stem.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It depends on the size of the sensor but in general, it is not difficult to remove/install tires without damaging the sensor. You just need to be disciplined to stay about 5" away from the location of the sensor. Just never use a tool in that general area and you'll be okay.

You also need to be cognizant of when removing the final bead that the edge of the tire doesn't catch the sensor. You just need to make sure the tire is above the sensor before pulling the final bead.
Thanks. I guess I just don't trust myself enough with the spoons. If I ever got a tire changing rig I might consider the internal ones.

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
At first, I was going to go with the Orange Electronic internal TPMS (Model M202), but Amazon remarks are much more negative than positive. Anyone here had any issues with them? If there's a better internal brand, I'd be interested to learn more about them.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Actually, with spoons you are less likely to damage the sensor because you have much more control with where you insert and how you lever. Most of the damage is from breaking the bead at the sensor. The tire is pressed onto the sensor and "snap". As long as you stay away from levering the tire near the sensor, you'll be good to go. I've yet to break a sensor and I use an pneumatic machine with assist arms.

The other area that people get in trouble is using the semi-auto machines. You always want to start after the sensor and stop before you get back around to the sensor. Most shops just get in a hurry and break them.

Thanks. I guess I just don't trust myself enough with the spoons. If I ever got a tire changing rig I might consider the internal ones.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have the wheel on a couple of 2x4's anchored with my knees :) I guess I could miss the sensors if I really paid attention. For now the external ones works just fine.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
At first, I was going to go with the Orange Electronic internal TPMS (Model M202), but Amazon remarks are much more negative than positive. Anyone here had any issues with them? If there's a better internal brand, I'd be interested to learn more about them.
I have had my Orange Electronics TPMS installed for over two years now with nary a problem. What kind of issues were posted on Amazon?

Mike

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have the externals also. I think it is a wash between the internal and external as far as pros/cons. If I didn't change my own tires, I would definitely stick with the externals. I wouldn't trust the tire shop to not break the sensor. In fact, before I mounted my own tires, I would place tape and instructions on the rim cautioning them of the sensors and where they should NOT use any tools on the rim.

I have the wheel on a couple of 2x4's anchored with my knees :) I guess I could miss the sensors if I really paid attention. For now the external ones works just fine.

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Complete lack of customer service on batteries that died early and required replacement in a year or less. Intermittent reading of pressure on one or the other tire.

I have had my Orange Electronics TPMS installed for over two years now with nary a problem. What kind of issues were posted on Amazon?

Mike

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I've been using my Hawks Head TPMS for 2 years now. It has worked great and I can easily switch between the RV and the bike. I am looking to change to internal sensors on both in the next year or two. But, the only internal sensors I can find for bikes are the Orange and BMW.

Does anyone besides Orange make an internal sensor for motorcycles? I really do not want to use the Orange system because of the issues with battery life (unless they change their distribution and ship a system with a mfg date near the ordering date).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Doran's can be mounted internally. My rear sensor has a dead battery but they've said they replace it for free. I don't know how long it's been since my system was manufactured. I bought it from someone on the Forum (sorry, but I can't remember who) and I didn't install it for nearly a year. As far as I can tell the sensor must transmit from the day of manufacture until the battery dies.

BTW, mine are mounted externally.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, I saw the internal Doran mounting. That is scary! I'd not trust any tire mounting method to not screw those up.

I wonder if any of the external electronics are compatible with Beemer sensors.

I'm planning a longer ride into British Columbia and had the tire pressure checked at Les Schwab. I have the valve stem covers that mark if you go under 36 psi. I'm mildly ashamed to admit it, but I just look at the 'green' showing that the psi is at 36 or above. The front tire was exactly at 38 psi after not actually checking by pressure gauges in the last year. The back tire, alas, was at 36 and I had them put it back to 42 psi. It seems like the psi has been fairly stable.

Terry

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My tires do stay fairly stable and I rarely checked tire pressures.

On a couple of longer trips I'd hit some different pavement and the tires would 'feel' funny. Sometimes bad enough that I would pull over and check pressures. Of course they were fine, but it would nag me.

So, got the TPMS. Now I have instant confirmation that the pressures are good and I can attribute the different road feel to the road instead of the tires. I also know that if I do get a slower leak I will be alerted before I can tell there is an issue.

I have also found how much the tire pressure changes over a day. Going from a 30deg morning to a 100deg afternoon on a trip is really interesting.

And, yes, I used to be proud of being able to tell when tire pressure was low due to the feel of the bike. Have proven myself wrong on more than one instance :)

Top Bottom