Lid Catch Repair

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
As most of you know the Lid catch on my right pannier stripped out. The plastic screw boss split. I had to ride back to Colorado from TNT with a strap wrapped around the pannier lid. This lid had been repaired by me before using JB weld on the screw bosses. With the vibration of the trip out to TNT, the boss split again. So I decided that I would build up the split screw boss with JB Weld and then drill a new screw hole completely through the lip on the lid. Installed some machine screws, washers and nuts and presto, I believe I have solved the problem. I will retro fit the other pannier lid at a later date. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Chuck,
That looks like a good fix (JB Weld is great stuff) The problem is that with this fix the original Achilles Heel is still in place. I am going to search through some of the forum threads--I recall where one chap found some black external latches and put them on his panniers to relieve the stress on the Honda latches. He mounted them with bolts. I am thinking of using two latches similar to suitcase latches and applying them with some of that 3M stuff with the red tape that is used by car manufacturers to fasten trim. Honda uses the same stuff for its wind deflectors and tank pad. That 3M double sided tape has a shear resistance more than adequate for this application.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good ol' JB Weld... a triumph of Texas Aggie engineering.

Alex, I've thought about adding external latches, but IMNSHO, they would need to be attached with nuts and bolts. When my bike blew over onto the grass in a 95mph gust in Colorado Springs a few years ago, the wind deflectors pulled loose from that 3M tape. I think when you're closing one of those latches, you'll have quite a lot of shear force as the latch cams shut.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
As most of you know the Lid catch on my right pannier stripped out. The plastic screw boss split. I had to ride back to Colorado from TNT with a strap wrapped around the pannier lid. This lid had been repaired by me before using JB weld on the screw bosses. With the vibration of the trip out to TNT, the boss split again. So I decided that I would build up the split screw boss with JB Weld and then drill a new screw hole completely through the lip on the lid. Installed some machine screws, washers and nuts and presto, I believe I have solved the problem. I will retro fit the other pannier lid at a later date. Here are a couple of pictures.
Chuck, I think I see JB Weld under the nuts. Did you epoxy the bolt into the hole you drilled through? When I look inside my lid it looked like one of the holes would come through real close to the lid face. Is that correct.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck, I think I see JB Weld under the nuts. Did you epoxy the bolt into the hole you drilled through? When I look inside my lid it looked like one of the holes would come through real close to the lid face. Is that correct.
Not intentionally, but there was some wet epoxy in the hole when I inserted the screw. Not a big deal as the metal latches will never be removed anyway. There is enough room to drill through, just be careful.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Thanks. One of the posts on my lids is cracked and I like your repair method and will give it a try.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
OK, Chris: Where did those come from? What's the part number? What's the price?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I don't have lots of experience with JB weld but I have lots with Supermend
http://www.amazon.com/Eclectic-Products-5330060-Supermend-16oz--/dp/B002ZHW8V0/ref=sr_1_3/176-4797142-5021435?ie=UTF8&qid=1400646553&sr=8-3&keywords=supermend
I have used it in applications like this. I have only used the two part "you mix 'um" Supermend. Don't know about the paste.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
BTW, they appear to be very well made....now if I could just stop the wall clock and have a week to myself....don't ever retire, you will loose all your free time.....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
They are sitting right in front of me now....they are saying, "Install me...Install me...." Instead, I have to go to my "Wecome to Medicare" physical tomarrow...two days after the biannual urologist visit...where does the time go?

Those look great. Thanks, Chris.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I think the reason why the "tongues" are weak is so that they break before the catch inside. It's easier the repair/replace the tongue/lid than the catch mechanism.

Mine has broken and been repaired a couple of times after numpties have run into me. I've been toying with a stronger fix but I would prefer to do the repairs to the lid rather than the catch...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Numpty

Scottish usage:
a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Numpty

English usage:
a) "Complete cretin who should have been put down at birth"
b) See Scottish usage above

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Anybody know why there's only one latch on the left side of the bike and two are on the right side?
Im going to speculate it has something to do with doing the job without disassembling anything. He may have been able to do two on the right OK without taking anything apart but got the one on the left and wasnt confident he could get a second one up front without taking th bike apart
:shrug2:

Thats a good guess...I think

Top Bottom