Lid Catch Repair

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
One of the other members here installed this combination lock.
http://franzeninternational.thomasnet.com/item/standard-case-locks/drawbolts/item-1020

Chris
These are the ones I am going to use. I've had a set of large lids on order for five months from David Silver Spares, and they're supposed to be here by next Tuesday. That is the project for Saturday, May 31st.

I will install one of these on each side. In addition. I'll put an unlocked draw latch on each side. This way I have lockable panniers with an extra latch for safety.

IMHO, the latching mechanism and the screw boss are all highly suspect - mine cracked long ago. I have already disconnected the latching mechanism and merely take the seat off and push the lever. Once this is done, I'll still have a flimsy hinge, but those don't seem to fail often.

silverdevil

Warren, the straps are in case do to vibration etc the holes holding the part try to enlarge, the straps are extra and not needed unless the holes enlarge, added safety

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Warren, the straps are in case do to vibration etc the holes holding the part try to enlarge, the straps are extra and not needed unless the holes enlarge, added safety
Thank you. I like the simplicity of the latch you have choosen

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Doug, did you get them all ready? The website is sparse about price and what they look like open and from underneath, and how big they are....
These are the ones I am going to use. I've had a set of large lids on order for five months from David Silver Spares, and they're supposed to be here by next Tuesday. That is the project for Saturday, May 31st.

I will install one of these on each side. In addition. I'll put an unlocked draw latch on each side. This way I have lockable panniers with an extra latch for safety.

IMHO, the latching mechanism and the screw boss are all highly suspect - mine cracked long ago. I have already disconnected the latching mechanism and merely take the seat off and push the lever. Once this is done, I'll still have a flimsy hinge, but those don't seem to fail often.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug, did you get them all ready? The website is sparse about price and what they look like open and from underneath, and how big they are....
Yes, I have them Chris. They're about the same size as the ones you own, and the flange seems about the right size. Their web site leaves a lot to be desired ;-) I think they are used to dealing with bigger companies - and I had to call them to order them, but otherwise, delivery was quick and easy. The invoice is somewhere on my very messy desk, but if IIRC, they were about $12 each. (Don't hold me to that.)

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks Doug, if you get bored, post a few pics....I am going to go see if the BearTooth Highway in Montana is still there so I will be in and out.....so many projects, so little time!
Yes, I have them Chris. They're about the same size as the ones you own, and the flange seems about the right size. Their web site leaves a lot to be desired ;-) I think they are used to dealing with bigger companies - and I had to call them to order them, but otherwise, delivery was quick and easy. The invoice is somewhere on my very messy desk, but if IIRC, they were about $12 each. (Don't hold me to that.)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I am going to go see if the BearTooth Highway in Montana is still there so I will be in and out.....so many projects, so little time!
Chris, I'll betcha' a nickel that it's still there. I'd be tempted to bet you another nickel that it's not open yet.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil. You are getting rather extravagant aren't you? Wagering two nickles!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil,

Aren't you getting extravagant wagering two whole nickels??:rolleyes:

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK, so it's open now. If it's open when you get there, I'll send you your nickel.

BTW, Chris, the first time I rode Beartooth, I was up on top when I saw a P2V Neptune fire bomber heading WSW into Yellowstone. On the west side of Cooke City, I saw a lone plume of smoke that the fire bomber had been heading to. He got the fire put out with one dump. A hot shot crew got to it within an hour of so of that and finished extinguishing the whole thing. The fire had been caused by the crash (unexplained as far as I know of the replica of the Hughes HR-1 that was on its way back from Oshkosh.

I had seen the original HR-1 in the Smithsonian in '73 and had never heard of the plane before that. I walked around a corner and there it was. I think it was indeed the most beautiful plane I'd ever seen.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Ah yes...I saw the H-1 replica at OSH and I saw it fly and break a speed record at Reno......I read the NTSB report...it suffered a prop failure which made it crash....so sad...it was a magnificient aircraft...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_H-1_Racer

Last time I did the Beartooth it was very smokey out.....yuch....
If a sudden squall or slide closes the highway, I will give you a nickel at the ralley. Otherwise I will send you a pick of me an my Honda at the top!

OK, so it's open now. If it's open when you get there, I'll send you your nickel.

BTW, Chris, the first time I rode Beartooth, I was up on top when I saw a P2V Neptune fire bomber heading WSW into Yellowstone. On the west side of Cooke City, I saw a lone plume of smoke that the fire bomber had been heading to. He got the fire put out with one dump. A hot shot crew got to it within an hour of so of that and finished extinguishing the whole thing. The fire had been caused by the crash (unexplained as far as I know of the replica of the Hughes HR-1 that was on its way back from Oshkosh.

I had seen the original HR-1 in the Smithsonian in '73 and had never heard of the plane before that. I walked around a corner and there it was. I think it was indeed the most beautiful plane I'd ever seen.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
FWIW, This seemed to work well..

I've been tempted to install something on a purely prophylactic basis.
Bob,

They did work well. Have to contact the current owner to see if they are still working. Last pic I saw of the bike they were still on there.

And mine were installed as a prophylactic as well. Never had an issue with the stock latches, but, I tend to stuff bags so figured mine would break if I didn't do something about it.

Charlie

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I had my left side saddlebag off the bike a few weeks ago to remove the rear fender for repainting. While it was off, I removed and cleaned the latch mechanism and lubed with silicone spray, then installed new OEM tension springs. Each side has two short springs and one long spring. It now locks much quicker when I close the lid but perhaps that's wishful thinking on my part? :)

At some point, I'll probably try BobAgain's fix of using the nylon washers at the sliding points but it's pretty low in priority.

ett

As most of you know the Lid catch on my right pannier stripped out. The plastic screw boss split. I had to ride back to Colorado from TNT with a strap wrapped around the pannier lid. This lid had been repaired by me before using JB weld on the screw bosses. With the vibration of the trip out to TNT, the boss split again. So I decided that I would build up the split screw boss with JB Weld and then drill a new screw hole completely through the lip on the lid. Installed some machine screws, washers and nuts and presto, I believe I have solved the problem. I will retro fit the other pannier lid at a later date. Here are a couple of pictures.
Sorry for re-opening a very old thread.
But of all the broken saddlebag latch/catch threads.
This is one where I found someone who did a repair similar to what I just did.

Yesterday morning, in the parking lot at work.
I opened the right saddlebag to remove the motorcycle cover and cover the NT.
And I noticed the rear most screw, on the rear most catch was missing.
And of course the boss for that screw was broken. Fortunately I found the broken piece of the boss.
Just like what has happened to nearly everyone else on here.

Reading about this issue on this forum in all the various threads.
I planned to stop by the dealer and pickup a replacement screw and "repair" using JB weld.
Unfortunately dealer did not have a screw.
And the head sale guy; who used to be the head mechanic; said that JB weld would eventually crumble.
And suggested simply drilling a hole through the bottom of the boss and use a nut and bolt.

So that is what I did today.
Although I did manage to save the broken boss piece.
I did not bother to try a glue it back into place.
Rather; I simply drilled a hole and used bolt, washer and thread lock.
Unfortunately; while the local Home Depot did have bolts, nuts, and flat washers. They did not have lock washers.
And I was having a hell of a time to get a flat washer in place under the nut.
So I settled on only using a flat washer under the head of the bolt.

Anyway here's the results:

For reference; my NT was just a few miles shy of 40k.
And I noticed that the equivalent screws on the left saddlebag were loose.
So I put thread lock on all screws in all the catches.
Odd that the screws in the rear catches came loose while the screws in the front catches did not.
Would that be due to more flexing occurring near the back of the saddlebags ?

Chucksklrst,
How long did your fix last ?

Anyone care to guesstimate how long my "fix" will last ?

Thanks;
--ET

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
ET, your threadlock may have been a mistake. The plastic that is used for Honda's bodywork reacts badly to threadlock. Somebody, can't remember who, but it may have been RedLdr, used it when he used the fender bolt mounting kit for Denali LED lights and the whole fender started crumbling. Keep an eye on things!

tawilke46

ET, your threadlock may have been a mistake. The plastic that is used for Honda's bodywork reacts badly to threadlock. Somebody, can't remember who, but it may have been RedLdr, used it when he used the fender bolt mounting kit for Denali LED lights and the whole fender started crumbling. Keep an eye on things!

That was me Phil when I was mounting my Denali's on the front fender. The plastic cracked and had to replace the fender.

Seagrass found my post.......painful lesson.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
That was me Phil when I was mounting my Denali's on the front fender
Tim, I was thinking it was one of the other moderators. It was one of those lessons I was glad to learn from someone else's experience!

Top Bottom