USB power ports

elizilla

Rob posted something in another thread that reminded me to tell you guys about this. He found this:

Dual USB Sockets With Handlebar Bracket

Which is perfect if you want to put this on your handlebars.

And if you prefer to panel mount them, here's another:

Waterproof Dual Port USB Charger

A couple years ago when I was farkling my NT, I was looking all over the place for USB power ports and finding nothing. I eventually settled for a second-rate thingie that didn't panel mount OR attach to the bars, and which had a lump of guts on the wire that I had to find a place to hide inside my bodywork. But now the market has caught up and we have multiple great choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

elizilla

I don't know about powered tank bags. There's Helen Two Wheels who makes a variety of bags, maybe she has an electric powered bag, I dunno.

I was running with those adapters, until the market caught up and started providing these things. But cig sockets don't handle vibration very well, and the more adapters I have to chain up, the more chance of trouble, the more parts to get lost, and the worse the jumble in my luggage. I have a lot of devices with proprietary plugs on the device end and USB on the other end. I'm never going to be able to plug them straight into the bike without at least one cable. My goal was to get it down to just that one cable per device and no more, and get away from cig lighters and their accompanying coil cords and warts.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Linda T does great work! I still have her tank bag/ pannier , and rally book package built for me and my GL 1800. It is a little too large for the NT, although I have used it on a few occasions.

AS with most of the custom made farkles it is not economy priced, BUTT you get what you pay for!

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Guessing by Ron you meant Rob - I get that a lot, since the letters are next to each other on the keyboard!

the chaining together thing you mention is what gave me problems. The cig to dual usb piece would vibrate out of the powerlet to cig piece just enough to cut power to devices now and then. On a gps with a dead battery that only works when plugged in, this caused problems.

I have this new Bikemaster one mounted in the middle of my bars but have not ridden with it yet. Note that it does light up blue when it's powered. Not terribly bright, but it is lit - which some people may not like. I keep the old weatherproof usb port that is direct wired connected and under the seat in case I need another port (when I camp, I have multiple things I could charge: phone, gps, external battery, helmet headset, bluetooth speaker, etc).

Also, for charging multiple devices when you get to a hotel room or friend's house I highly recommend this 40W 5V/8A product from Anker. It auto-senses the correct voltage for the device to charge and max speed and eliminates the need to bring multiple power bricks.

OP
OP

elizilla

Sorry Rob. I always say that if I could type I'd be dangerous. :) Fixed.

I have that same 5-port Anker USB charger on my desk. Works great.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That Anker Charger is a nice find. I hate using multiple chargers for our phones, tablets, cameras, etc while on the road. :rolleyes1: I just bought one off Ebay from AnkerDirect for $25.99 with Free Shipping....

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Here is the link to Anker's EBay's listing. It is actually cheaper than Amazon as you don't have to spend $35 total to get the free shipping...

OP
OP

elizilla

It was $16 with free shipping when I got it. Still ships free but price is now $19.99 at newegg.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Thins like this always have special deals going on. I have prime, so 25.99 on amazon included the free shipping for me. tiger direct and kotaku are two other sites good for checking prices (among many others).

Most multiport chargers only have 2 or 3 amps total, so if you plug in ONLY an ipad, it will charge normally - but plug in multiple things and the charging degrades and everything takes longer. whereas this one is a beast at 8 amps.

I also like that the power cord has a normal plug and not a brick that covers up the socket above it.

OP
OP

elizilla

I think they're slightly different gadgets. The more expensive one has fancy electronics in it to figure out what you plugged in and tailor to it, while mine has labeled plugs for iPad, Samsung, android, etc. I have one iPad, one android phone, one Sony reader, and a couple of Sansa MP3 players that aren't picky, so it all works out.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
After setting up for camping I got my power needs down to two cords in the evening.

When riding Icharge my aux battery (2400mAh LiIon) and my tablet. I have a dual usb outlet wired in my trunk. My phone and GPS are plugged in on the handlebar.

So, in the evening I use the aux battery to recharge my helmet headset and keep my phone topped off. I surf and read on the tablet.

Next morning I start over.

If I do have meetings and such during the day I do carry a two outlet wall USB adapter that will keep my tablet and phone charged.

As long as I stop for 4 or more hours I can keep going indefintely.

PS I have a dual USB outlet on the dash and a 12V cig lighter (with another high output USB socket if Ineed it).

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Who is the lady that makes all the powered tank bags for the ldrider bunch?
Don't know who the lady is, but White Horse has plugs of all sorts designed to be put on tank bags.

Pretty soon someone will wire an inverter up on a bike. Then we can charge our stuff up with 120VAC.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
LOL, I did carry an inverter with me for a trip. Had my laptop and powered it from the bike.

But, the danger of using too much of the battery and not being able to start it in the morning led me to start carrying the tablet instead :)

Top Bottom