Better late than...

Bike
2010 Red NT700
At 30K miles I am taking the bike in tomorrow for the 24K service. I skipped the 16K and 24K but I can't put it off any longer
I will be very curious to hear what the mechanic finds when he checks the valves

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Mine does as a matter of asking also designating that I want them corrected to SPOT - ON ! when They go deep enough to check them it is only a few more minuts to do the adjustment its self! It is a case of whether you trust the tech doing the job not to pencil whip it! There are plenty of those out there as well.In answer to John C It is definatly possible to do them yourself, Worst part of it is the Tupperware that has to come off. They aer a simple screw & lock nut adjuster basically like a old Chevy car except a bit more tedgiouse to get at on the front cylinder. You need to have a double set of feeler gauges so you keep the valve opposite the one you are adjuxting on at it's exact spec. Just like a older BMW air head.i can't remember if sevice manual calls for that or not, for Honda, but my tech does them tha way!

Other thing one needs to be careful of is getting the gaskets back into place so as not to have a oil leak / seep.Primary reason I don't do mine myself is that my back can't handle it and my eyes are not real good for close up work.

Eldon

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
You cannot check the valves yourself?
John the short answer is "no"

Its not that I couldn't do it.
I am not afraid of the engine
I am mortally afraid of the Tupperware and what I might do to it and how much more it would cost to replace any Tupperware I mortally wound trying to get it apart
If I lived closer to Chuck I would humbly ask him for tutoring, but he's just too far away

I used to adjust the valves on 3208 Cats all the time...30 yrs ago, but the engine wasn't encased in plastic...and you could climb up and find a seat to get comfy while doing it

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Clay, I agree with your thoughts although the tuper ware is more of a PIA than anything else. MY techstrips it all of in a matter of minuts, and I have sat there and watched him, BUTT my short term memory can't remember the what fors and whys etc. I agree if you have the wrench experience with cat's you definatly KNOW what to do as I do, . MY back would go out on me and I would be in bed for a month more or less in todays world. I find it much easier to write a check when the job is done. The Tech who usred to do all of my NT work left the Honda sop for a job with the state of Oregon for much better retirement and medical and is working out of his garage now . $40.00 per hour and he is very fair about only charging for his actural wrenching time. He gets most of my buisness that is not covered on service agreement, or warranty.

Eldon

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Its funny. When my bike is in the garage and I can ride it anytime I want, but I dont...sometimes for weeks at a a time, it doesn't seem to bother me. Much

But when my bike is in the shop and there's no way I can ride it, it makes me so antsy

Bike
Silver NT700V
I am one of those emphatic "no's" regarding this sort of work. My brother comes to watch me use tools for the comic relief. I am terrified of the plastic as I tend to break things. Also, even if the dealer "pencils" the adjustment, you are covered on any sort of warranty claim as they have represented the proper maintenace being done.

Bike
Honda NT700V
Also, even if the dealer "pencils" the adjustment, you are covered on any sort of warranty claim as they have represented the proper maintenace being done.
Except that the warranty would be expired before a problem showed up.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
George, make that "the warranty could be expired before a problem showed up."

Top Bottom