Olympia AST2 vs Darien Light

I tend to acquire more gear than I should. Its a bit of a compulsion.

I am looking forward to doing more touring on my NT, including pushing the envelope on riding in hot weather mixed with scattered thundershowers. IE about what you expect in the mid-Atlantic region from mid-June through August.

I have a high vis Olympia AST 2 jacket that works quite well for me, but I have not tried it in the rain. I just got a Darien Light jacket from Aerostich on sale, also hi vis, and I am wondering whether to return it or keep it.

The jackets have similar coverage and venting. Main advantage of the Darien seems to be the waterproofing. Right now its rather uncomfortable compared to the AST, but I understand the Dariens "break in" after some use.

Can anyone comment on how the AST2 performs in the rain? Does it work reasonably well on its own or does it need a rain overjacket?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I really like my AST2. I have been in the rain but I wouldn't say its really been tested yet. One thing I did notice just yesterday after only 6 months of use; The reflective piping has already begun to crack. As long as that doesn't compromise how the jacket works, I am OK with that, but it seems awful soon to have that kind of degradation of materials

I really like the way the piping reflects light, even before sunset
Its extremely eye catching

Right now, for the money, I wouldn't buy anything but Olympia gear

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
+1 on the AST2. I have ridden through some pretty good downpours without any water getting through. My low-temp commute record in it is an hour at 28 degrees, but with the vents open and no liner I was also comfy at 80 degrees. Anything warmer, though, and I'm in my mesh jacket.

I agree with RedNigel; Olympia has my "bang-for-the-buck" vote!

OP
OP
Thanks all for the feedback on the AST2. I have had good results from all the Olympia gear I have purchased over the years.

But as I said, I have a gear compulsion, and I think I am going to keep the Darien Light as well. Main reason is I am becoming a convert to non-mesh "close the vents and wet the undergarmets" approach to hot weather riding recently endorsed by Comanche. I tried a pair of LD Comfort sleeves under my AST2, and I believe it works.

I think the Dairen Light may be the best jacket for this approach. Its a bit lighter and looser than the AST, the vents can be adjusted while on the bike (at least the underarm vents), and it still has reasonable protection. So while it looks a bit goofy new, I will give it a chance to break in.

If I had to chose one or the other, I would stick with the AST2. But I have some space in my closet . . .

Bike
Silver NT700V
I have a set Olympia GT Air Transitions gear, jacket and pants, I purchased in April 2008. With north of 80,000 miles on it now, it is showing some wear. Therefore I have started ogling new gear. The only real complaint I have on the GT Air is that the shell is not waterproof, or even really resistant. In any but very light rain, I need the liner or a rain suit. Both get VERY hot quickly. Also, I started trying the "close the vents" technique in temps over 95, and we have a lot of that in SE TX. On a long ride this technique really does produce a more comfortable ride, long term. Fpr commuting, I still open the jacket panels to get a mesh jacket effect. The difference is that my commute can involve miles of slow work, under 30 mph.

In any case, I have been looking at jackets with Gortex or similar treatments to enable rain riding when on a trip. Top three so far are Roadcrafter 3, Tourmaster Transitions 3, and First Gear Kilimanjaro.

Good luck in your search,

Chuck

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have a Transitions 3 and a Kilimanjaro. The Kilimanjaro has a waterproof outer shell and comes closest to Gortex. The Transitions 3 outer shell is not waterproof and will get waterlogged. It has a waterproof mid layer for keeping you dry. I prefer the Kilimanjaro for wet weather. It is also a heavier jacket than the T3. Neither is all that good in very high heat. I still prefer mesh jackets for high heat commuting where wetting your clothes is not practical.

OP
OP
So here is a quick update on my personal comparison between the AST and Darien Light.

I decided to take the plunge and keep the Darien Light High Vis jacket rather than returning it. I could feel my wallet get lighter as I snipped off the tags and got ready for my first ride.

So far I give the Darien Light a major endorsement. We have been in the low 90s, and the Darien Light (which is a single layer garment) slips on easily without giving me the feeling I'm putting on too much gear. Once moving, with vents open, I have more cooling air than I get in my several mesh jackets. (Don't ask how many; as I said buying gear for me is a compulsion.) I have tried LD Comfort sleeves, wetted down under the Darien, with vents closed, and got good results. The air circulates better under the Darien as compared with the AST. I got a standard sized Darien and the sleeves are a bit short for me, but actually this works better. I get good intake through cuffs when I wear short gloves, but gauntlet gloves cover the cuffs when I want.

I have not yet tried the Darien in rain, but the attention to seam sealing is really impressive.

The Darien looks a little goofy, particularly when new. But on the fashion side, I also just purchased a Shoei Quest Overt helmet from Motorcycle Gear at a closeout price. And the high vis on the helmet is a close match for the high vis on the Darien. So I do look rather pulled together, at least in terms of color coordination. (The Olympia shade of high vis is a better match for the high vis on some HJC helmets.)

The AST has a more tailored look, and its got better ballistic nylon protection as compared to the Dairen Light. (Aerostich points out that the Darien Light gives up some abrasion resistance compared to the standard Darien.) So there is a place in my closet for both jackets. But the Darien Light seems to be the clear winner for warm/hot weather riding, combining rain protection when needed with great air flow and circulation. And a somewhat lighter weight.

Top Bottom