Headlight Modulators

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
There's an excellent thread going on now about conspicuity. Lots of information most of us all know, such as wearing hi-viz clothing, lighting reflectors and SMIDSY. Rather than add to that thread, I thought I'd start a new thread.

I ride with a Kriss headlight modulator. I had it on my last bike, and frankly, would not own a bike without one. I know people see me - it is not uncommon for people to flash their high beams at me - they're telling me there is something wrong with my lights. I've had very nice LEOs stop and tell me I have a problem with my headlight. If you will, its like doing the whole SMIDSY routine all the time.

All the usual caveats apply - there is no substitute for good brain input. I've always liked the idea of riding like I was invisible.

But one thing has puzzled me - there are some fellow motorcyclists who don't seem to like the idea of using headlight modulators - and some (few) to the point where they argue against it. True - I can see that it might be annoying in a group ride, and I turn it off then - but why would other riders object to my using a modulator?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have thought about using a modulator but I am concerned that some drivers might respond in a negitive manner so I prefer to stick to riding smart and wearing hi viz

Bike
2011 NT
Coming back to Mn from Idaho Sunday and Monday we met quite a few bikes with modulators. I looked twice and then realized they had the modulator going for them. Thinking about getting one for mine. Along with my floresant yellow jacket I should be a bit more visable.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have thought about using a modulator but I am concerned that some drivers might respond in a negitive manner so I prefer to stick to riding smart and wearing hi viz
Just curious, Warren - what negative manner action do you think they might do?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Pull out in front of me thinking that I am signaling them to do so. Pulling me over like happened to you to tell me someting is wrong or just generally irritating them. I would rather not do anything that requires a driver to interpret what I am trying to communicate. Since I primarily commute in city traffic my headlight is usually blocked by the car in front of me anyway and I am sure they would enjoy watching my modulating headlight in their review view mirror. My commuting is more like being in a pack of wildebeests. Being visible is of less importance than predicting what the cars around me are going to do and then reacting before they make their move.

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
RCASE13 who bought his slightly used nt (he just listed for sale now) had a headlight modulator on it. for him it was negative, had cars in front of him slow down and stop thinking police where stopping them. also at other intersections problems when driver saw that blinking light. he disarmed it. so you have positive and negative problems or solutions. i never thought of one, and now will not put one on, for me - no need

Bike
2010 Red NT700
When I see a guy with a headlight modulator I automatically hate them. I dont know why, I just do. Those lights just hiss me off for some reason .
Of course, I would give you a pass, Doug:D

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
When I see a guy with a headlight modulator I automatically hate them. I dont know why, I just do. Those lights just hiss me off for some reason .
Of course, I would give you a pass, Doug:D
:smile: Thanx for the pass, Clay!! And thanx for your answer - I love your honesty!

By the way - they are extremely rare around here. The only other one I have ever seen locally was the one on my former bike - I was startled when I saw him pass in the other direction one day.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanx for the pass, Clay!! And thanx for your answer - I love your honesty!

By the way - they are extremely rare around here. The only other one I have ever seen locally was the one on my former bike - I was startled when I saw him pass in the other direction one day.
Now, what would be cool would be if you could get a 'Mars' light off a diesel locomotive!!! Same concept except you could see it for miles and I think the whole light moved around

I am curious about the difference between Kriss and Kisan. I started a thread a month or so ago describing how I soldered leads to connect a Kisan modulator unit into the Honda NT headlight mini harness. The Kisan plugs for the headlights wouldn't fit inside of the NT's rubber bulb covers. So for me, Kisan was not "plug and play." Sounds like Kriss uses a different approach that may be easier to hook up. But it also sounds as if the Kriss unit only strobes one of the NT's two bulbs. (IE high or low, but not both.) The Kisan modulator I installed strobes both bulbs when you hit the high beam during daylight.

As I said in that posting, I am a believer in modulators. Not to leave on all the time, that would be annoying. I think of the modulator as another arrow in the visibility tool kit, to be used sparingly. But if you ever find yourself wondering, "does that driver see me." Or "could someone come out of that sidestreet," its nice to be able to take an "active measure," an addition to slowing and preparing to brake. Also, I think it is unlikely someone will think the strobe is a signal to "go ahead." It has an emergency "I am coming through" appearance to it, in my view.

A final advantage to a modulator: If you ride in a group and need to signal the leader, a modulator can help get their attention.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Doug,

I thnk especially in open country where there is only a little traffic they can be a very good thing to get the attention of he old frme / ranche types who will pull out with out looking closely as they either think it is their road , and or are not expecting anyone to be coming, even though most of them have real good eyesif counting cows etc , or watching for VARMITS , or game animals. In heavier traffic I am not sure how much I would use it. I do know tha in low light situations it will get others attention. I do not like it hanging in my mirror for a steady diet any more than bright lights from four wheelers. The irritable tuk driver syndrome comes up when someone goes to tail gating , or just hangs behind me with any distracting lighting. My cure for it is to let my vehicle slowly drift onto or over the fog line or edge of road just a little which will pick up some of the rock gravel etc derbis and usurally will encourage the vehicle to get its butt in gear and pass , or else back off to a respectable distance. Some big trucks will have a very bright bock up light mounted under the rear of their trailers especially if it is their own that will really encourage a aggravating light to really back off and go away.

There was a time in my riding life when a lot of folks I rode with carried a few pebbles in thier jacket pockets where they were easily acceptableSimilar game different players. in a different world from today.

Comon sense , and appropriate discretion should probly be used with the modulatoer,

Eldon

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I am curious about the difference between Kriss and Kisan. I started a thread a month or so ago describing how I soldered leads to connect a Kisan modulator unit into the Honda NT headlight mini harness. The Kisan plugs for the headlights wouldn't fit inside of the NT's rubber bulb covers. So for me, Kisan was not "plug and play." Sounds like Kriss uses a different approach that may be easier to hook up. But it also sounds as if the Kriss unit only strobes one of the NT's two bulbs. (IE high or low, but not both.) The Kisan modulator I installed strobes both bulbs when you hit the high beam during daylight. . . .
Sorry, but I haven't the foggiest notion. I had a friend install it for me on both occasions.

And yes - you are correct in that the modulator works only in the daylight. It is against federal law for them to be when its dark. There has to be a switch that will turn off the modulator automatically when light fails.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my question on the Kriss. When its activated, does one bulb strobe or both? My impression from the Kriss website is that it only works on one bulb, you can wire it to the low or the high beam, not both. Kisan has modulators that can work two bulbs at the same time.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Seems to me that a modulator should only strobe the low beam. I don't have one and probably won't get one. I think the triangle created by my Denalis and the headlight get more attention than a modulator.

I do know that on a COG ride of about 200 miles, I had a guy on a BMW R75RT behind me for probably 175 of the 200 miles and I was ready to shoot out his headlight. The modulator drove me crazy. I asked him to turn it off and he refused. He also refused to quit following me. I wasn't sorry that he never came on another of our rides.

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
I have a Kisan modulator on both of my bikes. The Kisan has a daylight indicator and won't modulate @ night. If I'm following someone and I think it's bugging them I'll switch the lights to the dim position (only modulates in the bright position). Wouldn't ride without a modulator. I also have modulation of my brake lights that flash prior to full on @ braking. I think they're Kisan also.

Wanda P.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I think headlight modulators are better then the very bright illegal head lights you see on many bagger bikes. I have been stop by a police officer and been told I am breaking the law, he of course was wrong: I just switch off the bright light-never argue with a man with a gun (you can download a copy of the regulation to carry). You notice the motorcycle equipped a modulator, and that is the goal. I really don't care if someone does not like them, they are legal, and effect. When I support a bicycle race I have blinking lights that draw attention (these are technically illegal-but the police seem not to care during a race).

I once was riding down in West Virginia behind my son, an 'old boy in his rusted pickup' pulled over and let us pass: he may of been thinking I was a police officer (I was glade he was going 20 miles an hour under speed limit).

Last edited:

slider

I despise them. I see no use for them and think they're a distraction to everyone else. You'll be seen though.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have a neighbor who has a headlight modulator on his Kawasaki Vulcan. Every time he gets behind me, regardless of what I'm riding or driving, I want to stop and "fix" his headlight. To me they are visual equivalent to "loud pipes" that are annoying and distracting at best.

How effective are they? Well the Mars Train Headlight, the concept the modulator emulates, did not stop people from pulling in front of trains after its adaptation in the 1930's and has fallen out of use with most rail lines. The problem is with only one light, modulated or steady, it is darn hard to estimate how close the light is to you and how fast it is moving. The railways have since went to adding alternating flashing lights on either side of the engine that activate with the horn. Since they sound the horn when approaching crossings that activates the alternating lights providing some distance perspective...and having a train horn really makes most folks aware of you! That design supports the "triangle of light" concept we've been hearing about for years now.

If you added running lights, to create the "triangle" and then used a modulator as well that might be fairly effective. My concern is the modulating headlight would "hide" the dimmer running lights from being noticed and render them ineffective. Plus with all the background light on the roads from cars with DRLs it is getting harder for any "white" colored light to be noticed...

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I don't understand how motorcycle headlights got to trains, but so be it. If you find modulating headlight annoying stay home in your bedroom under the covers where your safe from the distracting outside world. Funny how the modulating headlights don't work, but the are annoying-and to compare them to load pipes. Load noise effects every thing, not just traffic that out to kill you, and load pipes sound are behind you, not in front.
True is they draw attention to a motorcycle, and that is the point. I seen H-D's with them, rider all black, and the blinking headlight is the only thing that makes them visible. I find them much less annoying then air craft head lights mounted on the front a motorcycle.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my question on the Kriss. When its activated, does one bulb strobe or both? My impression from the Kriss website is that it only works on one bulb, you can wire it to the low or the high beam, not both. Kisan has modulators that can work two bulbs at the same time.
Sorry for the late answer, Chris.

Kriss gives you the choice to set it up on the high or low beam, but not both. Mine is on the low.

Top Bottom