Headlight Modulators

kenstone

I jiggle the bars left/right/left to create the modulation effect, works better on a bike with a fork mounted headlight, and is more selective than an on/off switch, as I only do it when the situation warrants it.
I see people/drivers doing a double take/2nd look so I know it works, and I don't think it has ever annoyed anyone:biggrin:.

I have an old bike with an elaborate headlight mount designed to isolate it from vibration, now the old rubber bits have softened and the light has a constant wiggle/jiggle, and people feel the need to tell me my headlight is loose:wink:.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I was filtering on the A86 which is the middle ring road around Paris when a B*W with a headlight modulator came up behind me. It was the first one I'd seen. I nearly stopped and smashed his headlight as it was so distracting when I needed full concentration on the cagers around me.

When filtering in heavy traffic they're probably going to get someone killed due to the distraction. Yes, I know, in the US you can only filter in California but that's still a lot of bikers.

Prior to seeing one, I thought they were a good idea. Now, I think anyone using one in an urban environment should be shot!

I flash my main beam half a dozen times as fast as possible at anyone who exhibits the slightest wayward movement or bad road positioning. Any less and they think you are giving them priority and any more just p*isses them off.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have often thought about a headlamp modulator, but I wondered how it effected bulb longevity. The bulbs on an NT are a dickens to replace as it is. Since I saw the vid on the UK site about the SIAM maneuver, I have been doing that. Seems to get their attention as they look at me funny.

Mike

slider

That's the whole point. To be seen.

It all depends, like everything else, on your perspective. We may differ in our views of the thing, but if you ever smack into an 80,000 lb full size dump truck towing a bulldozer on a flatbed trailer like I did, after he didn't see me and turned left, that may make you a believer.
I have quite the perspective. I have over 1.4 million miles without a preventable accident and I've seen pretty much everything. I've trained over 100 drivers and have taken many safety courses. I was also in a worse accident and only one of us is around now.

A person riding a motorcycle with a light like that will distract everyone else. That next dump truck guy will see you and you'll be saved. Everyone else will be distracted when you ride behind them or they're coming the other direction. Just hope the other guy with one isn't flying up behind a car when you're beside the car. You'll get a new perspective.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
It's almost like an oil thread or "dark side" thread on other forums.Chris
Ahhh, Chris!!! You read my thoughts.

I kinda knew when I started this thread that there were strong opinions, and I thought about equating it to an oil thread or dark side thread.

Kinda like a Harley or BMW thread too. (No - I won't start the "Did you here about the "Do Not Ride" recall of the 2014 wethead R1200RT thread.)

I won't argue with anybody - I asked for opinions and I got 'em. No problem with that.

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
I've installed Kisan modulators on the two bikes I ride the most but:
1. I connected it to the high-beam so it can be switched off; and
2. in group rides I only switch the modulator on if I'm the lead rider.

Here's a link to an excellent article on 'motion camouflage' and 'the looming effect' by Duncan MacKillop: Sorry Mate, I didn't see you ...

And a video demonstrating 'motion camouflage' and 'the looming effect' presented by Duncan MacKillop:
[video=youtube;eqQBubilSXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU[/video]

elizilla

I have these things instead of a modulator and they are fantastic, best of both worlds IMHO.

Skene Photon Blasters

The website really can't show how they look. They have this barely perceptible flicker, that you can only see in peripheral vision, not when you look straight at them.

Two weeks ago I was on a group ride and loaned my Super10 to a friend there. I was the group leader. The Super10, with the Skene Photon Blasters on its forks, was the easiest bike to pick out in my mirrors, even easier than the bike with the modulator. Yet it wasn't even remotely annoying in the mirror.

And I really do think they have reduced the number of cars that don't see me and turn in front of me.

Best of both worlds, I tell ya. Get seen, without getting hated.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
You're right, Katherine - from their web site, I really can't tell that they're not just another brand of modulator.

Are they legal?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
When someone with extra bright headlights or overly annoying modulator lights comes up behind me I move my rearview mirrors. Vehicles behind me are not my primary concern for "who is trying to kill me?". My concern is on the vehicles in front of, and especially the ones aiming at me. My concern is the typical mini-van with a woman yacking her jaws on a cell phone & no lights on in the rain/dark. She obviously is not concerned about her own safety, much less mine.

When I move my rear-view mirrors sometimes they accidentally shine the annoying light back at the vehicle behind me. I'm sorry if it is annoying and it makes you back off or turn off the intense lights. Understand it is for my own safety, as I can not focus on the cell-phone-yacking-minivan drivers crossing the center line coming at me when your bright lights in my rear view demand my attention.

This arrangement should be found reasonable by safety conscious riders and drivers.

elizilla

You're right, Katherine - from their web site, I really can't tell that they're not just another brand of modulator.

Are they legal?
They are legal, yes. And they're not a modulator. They are small amber lights and on my bikes I have put them on either side of the front forks, attached to the fender bolts. They're no brighter than any other similar LEDs, but they draw the eye because of the flicker. It isn't blinky like a modulator. It's much more subtle, and in fact when you focus on them they don't appear to flicker at all. The flickering is only visible in your peripheral vision. Y'know how things that move are much more noticeable in your peripheral vision, than things that are stationary? The effect of these is more like that; they turn you into the moving object. And with them mounted low on the forks, they give that triangle effect that makes it easier for people to judge distance.

Their website can't show this flicker because it wouldn't appear in a video. Even very bandwidth-intensive videos don't have high enough frame rate for it to be noticeable.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have these things instead of a modulator and they are fantastic, best of both worlds IMHO.

Skene Photon Blasters

The website really can't show how they look. They have this barely perceptible flicker, that you can only see in peripheral vision, not when you look straight at them.

Two weeks ago I was on a group ride and loaned my Super10 to a friend there. I was the group leader. The Super10, with the Skene Photon Blasters on its forks, was the easiest bike to pick out in my mirrors, even easier than the bike with the modulator. Yet it wasn't even remotely annoying in the mirror.

And I really do think they have reduced the number of cars that don't see me and turn in front of me.

Best of both worlds, I tell ya. Get seen, without getting hated.
Katherine - -

I've been thinking about installing the Photon Blasters. (Name sounds like a shoot-em-up computer game.) I wandered around the web site awhile, and really like the brake lights as well.

However - with the front facing Photon Blasters, I'm a little confused. The site says that when someone looks right at the light, they don't see the Photon, but when they see it in their peripheral vision, they do see.

Can you explain that a little better? I guess it has something to do with the high frequency of the flashes.

I'm also thinking of installing a set of Denali lights. If I go with the Photon Blasters, I obviously cannot mount the Denalis on the forks. I'll keep the Denalis on all the time, but the real reason I want them is not for conspicuity, but for night riding. I seldom ride at night, but winter brings less daylight and I have to ride at night on occasion. Do you see any problem with running both the Denalis and the Photon Blasters?

Thanx in advance.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I recently had the low beam bulb burn out on my NT. No biggie, I bought a cheap replacement until the LED bulb I ordered came. Turns out I couldn't physically fit the LED bulb as the fan on the back was in the way of the wire bail that holds the bulb in place. I then saw a PIAA Ion Yellow bulb and remembered seeing an old BMW with a yellow headlight. It really stood out. The yellow bulbs are mostly for fog/snow and rain as there is much less glare from the yellow light. Long story short I am in love with the yellow light! It is great in the fog (we normally don't get much fog in Portland Or) and the rain (which we do get a lot of) but more importantly it makes the white painted lines on the street really stand out when the pavement is wet at night. Normally the painted lines are fairly hard to see when wet at night. I have also had several people, both drivers and riders, tell me that the yellow light is very distinctive and grabs their attention without being harsh or glaring.
I have read complaints that the yellow bulbs in general aren't as bright as the standard white, but the PIAA bulb doesn't seem any less bright. Not really cheap, but pretty much guaranteed not to annoy other drivers and it makes the bike really stand out.

Top Bottom