Bridgestone T30 Tires

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I guess I'll go back to PR4s or Pirelli Angels like Jim's trying when the T30s wear out.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Final report on the Bridgstone T30s.
The tires felt good at first but seemed to give a more harsh ride than the PR4s. The tires were very stiff when I mounted them - stiffer than most tires.

After about 5,000 miles the rear was squared off and the bike didn't hold a good line in corners. At 6,500 miles the tread was 57% worn down to the bars. At 9,000 miles the rear was junk. It seemed to ware very quickly at the end.

The front tire is about done for now at 16,000 miles (about .038" off the bars). I could ride it another 1 or 2 K miles in ideal conditions, but I don't like riding on marginal tires in bad conditions (and this is fall).

So overall the tires were a good value, but aren't the best tires on the market in my opinion. I only paid $155 for the pair (on sale with a rebate) so that was a good deal. I replaced the rear with a Pirelli Angel GT and it performing and wareing well so far. So my preference is going back to PR4, Avons, or the Pirellis. I never had good luck with Dunlops on my Concours (I know they are a different line of tires) and I never had a primium Bridgstone on the NT. I guess that all the primium tires are good and the "best" one is pretty subjective. I have a cheap GPS, but I like good tires.

Bike
2011 NT
Have just over 5,000 miles on my T-30's and like them so far. Front tire is wearing fine, but the rear has a 2 inch flat strip all the way around. But I don't push it very hard in the corners.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
my experience with the t-30s was like jim's. i'm back on pr4s -- or will be when I get back to riding.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Hello all, I am finishing an 1800 mile trip in New England and heading back to south central Pa. this weekend. The T30s on my NT need replaced. I bought the bike on consignment from a Honda dealer, the T30s were new. Both tires have flat center bands, I very seldom ride on interstate highways. My trip has under 50 miles of four lane roads. There are about 5000 miles on the tires.

Has anyone tried the Metzler Z8 Interact sport touring tires? Motorcycle Consumer News rated the Z8 first, Angel GT second, and PR4s third. I ride at a brisk, controlled pace through the twisties. The reviews I've read rates the Z8s great for traction in both wet and dry conditions, but I also want to get some good mileage out of tires.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. BB

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I'm about to replace my PR4 rear is has done 24,206 miles (38,949 km) and although the centre has about 1,000 miles left the sides are nearly on the limit. Bad weather will be upon us soon, November, so now is a good time to change. I've booked her in for a new rear tyre and rear brake pads the 1st week of October.

My last PR4 rear did 23,422 and still had some life left (replaced 6th Dec 2014 - ?1 year and 10 months ago). So the mileage is consistent.

I'm getting considerably more mileage from the PR4s than I am from the Bridgestones. About 6,000 miles more!

Last edited:

JQL

Bike
I use my bike for commuting only. She rarely goes out of the Parisienne suburbs. I do quite a lot of miles on urban motorways between 30 mph and 70 mph as well as urban roads. I live just in the country and do about 3 miles a day on country roads. A good mixture of twisties, slab and street riding. So that could be the reason.

Note: I go through 2 sets of brake pads to a set of tyres. :frown::eek1:

Bike
2010 NT700V
So, it seems the PR4s come out consistently at or near the top in most reviews. My local Honda shop service manager was pushing the Commander, but after some reading the Commander is more suited for the much heavier Gold Wing. Looks like I'll probably go with the PR4s. BB

JQL

Bike
I am/was "a dyed in the wool" Metzeler tyre fanatic and have been for about 30 years. I still am for sports bikes "scratching" on country lanes.

On the NT700 the Michelin PR3/4 really does complement the bike. They are excellent for touring type bikes.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
When I bought my last set of PR4's I checked several online sources for the lowest price and then asked my dealer if they would match it and install them which they did. At that time I think Revzilla was the lowest for a set but that probably changes all the time so you should check a few current online sources.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'd love to have my local Honda dealer change my tires, but they aren't very cooperative. The charge is $50 pre tire (on the bike) but they always want me to leave it and they will call when work is done. They say maybe an hour or maybe two days. That is unacceptable. It is 50 miles to the dealer so if I haul the bike I have 200 miles on my truck and about 6 hours of my time driving and loading. Or I could have my wife pick me up and return me to the dealer and that way it is 200 miles on the car and 100 miles on the bike and a grouchy wife (twice).

It is much quicker and easier to change the tires at home with levers and a little lube. I just use a gravity balancer and it has worked fine.

There is a private motorcycle shop 50 miles in the opposite direction that will do the work on a ride-in/ride-out basis for the same price, but he wants to charge close to MSRP for the tires.

There are a lot more snowmobile and ATV shops around here than motorcycle shops.

JQL

Bike
Remember that getting the rear splines "Molyed" when changing the rear is much more important than a cheap fitter.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Remember that getting the rear splines "Molyed" when changing the rear is much more important than a cheap fitter.

Agreed. When I have service done at any other shop I take my own tube of Moly, leave it with them, and make shure they know to use it.

Bike
2010 NT700V
When I bought my last set of PR4's I checked several online sources for the lowest price and then asked my dealer if they would match it and install them which they did. At that time I think Revzilla was the lowest for a set but that probably changes all the time so you should check a few current online sources.
Checked prices online before going to my local Honda dealer that is 5 minutes from my house. Their price on a pair of PR4s was only $20.00 more than online, they charge $119.00 to mount and balance on the bike. For $20.00, I'll give them the business. I'm also having them do the valves, they charge three hours at $79.00/hr. BB

Bike
2010 Red NT700V w/ trunk
I''ll spoon on a new set of tires this coming spring. I wore out a set of T30's in about 7,000 miles. Mostly commuting and some fun days up the canyons. Fortunately my commute also has a few good curvy parts that are excellent fun. I'm torn between another set of T30's or trying out a set of PR4's for the first time. Given the cost difference, I'll need to get over 10,500 miles from a set of PR4's for it to be worthwhile. I know some have gone well over that mileage, but we all have different habits that wear out tires differently.

Has anyone run both tires so they can comment on the mileage difference?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Has anyone run both tires so they can comment on the mileage difference?
Yep. My T30 rear did about the same as yours did. The front went much longer though. The T30s were a great value, but not a great tire.
Before the T30s I had PR4s which were a great tire. But at least two of us on this forum had their second rear PR4 wear out prematurely. Both of had pretty good luck with the first PR4s though. Others have not had the premature wear on the flat that the two of us had.

I went with a Pirelli Angle GT to replace the T30 and I like that tire. Good traction and good wear so far. And a much better ride than the T30. My next tires will probably be PR4s again even though I said "never again" when Michelin wouldn't even answer my letter of complaint. Or, maybe I'll just buy a new motorcycle that comes with new tires.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm the other guy who had much faster wear on my 2nd rear PR4 than on my 1st one. Michelin did answer my letter when I wrote asking if there had been a change in the tire. My first one had lasted nearly 14,000 miles; the second only a little over 7,000. Michelin told me that I must have ridden differently -- faster, harder, and on more abrasive roads. Wrong.

I replaced that PR4 with a T30. I agree with Jim -- it's an OK tire, but not a great one. It only lasted about 8,000 miles and never felt as good as the PR4. I'm back with a PR4, but I've only got about 700 miles on it so far. There's hardly any wear visible so far. :rofl1:

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
When I purchased my NT just over a year ago, it still had the original equipment Bridgestones (BT023). I replaced the worn to wear bar Bridgestones with PR4s at 7800 miles. I just ordered a new set of replacement PR4s as I am very pleased with how my NT handles with them (wet or dry) and 16400 miles traveled to reach the wear bars. Yes the PR4s are pricey, but the handling and excellent treadwear makes them a great deal.

Top Bottom