cee bailey shields

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Does anyone have any idea of whether the OE windshield is acrylic or polycarbonate? When it came time to replace Traveller's shield, I was gonna give the Cee Bailey's a close look, but after this thread and video, I think I'll look elsewhere.

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Mike.... I have the CB +4 for 2.2 yrs and have had zero problems.....and 60,000 miles

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I ran the Cee Bailey on my Concours after trying the Laminar Lip. The Lip was an improvement, but the Cee Bailey was better. Lots of old Connie riders run the Rifle. I have a Cee Bailey on my NT too, but I modified it. It started with a +4 and I found it too high. So I cut 3" off the bottom leaving me with a +4-3 (or a +1) The top mounting holes became the bottom ones and I drilled new holes for the top. I normally run with it in the 2nd from top position.

Last week I put the stock windscreen back on for a while because I thought it would be better in the "full down" position. It actually produced much more turbulence than the CB. I like the full down position on back roads and under 50 mph.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
My Cee Bailey windshield has been in use for 9,000+ miles on the Burg with no problems at all. It is a completely different design than the NT, but is the same material I believe. Don't know if it has suffered a direct hit from any rocks to test it. The companys willingness to stand behind their product is one reason I went with them.

Id4rob

I've had my Cee Bailey +4 for a year and a half and 15k miles with no problems. However, I have been considering going back to stock with a Laminar Lip added. Other than looking unusual, reports seem to indicate it does give a pocket of calm around the dirver and passenger. Anybody have any epxerience with it?

kenstone

I did this, so you wouldn't have to :) I crashed a ST1300 with a Rifle windshield (which is acrylic, I believe). Sure enough, it shattered as I went through it leaving scary jagged points. All it did was poke a very small wound in one knee, dealt with by a single bandaid.
Thanks for the review, I hope that bandaid was all that was needed:wink:
Ken

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
I just lost my second Cee Bailey shield to cracks...the V-Stream is already on its way.

I will no loger use any acrylic windshields on my bike, ever.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've lost two CeeBaileys as well. The one I've got now is my last one.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[I have a CB +2 and the upper "curl" distorts the view...I am considering a shield from National Cycle.]

I have a Cee Bailey that I use for 8-9 months of the year then switch to a National Cycle shield for winter. The NC shield is extremely flexible but does offer more upper body protection when compared to the CB. And if you think the CB has distortion, it's nothing compared to the NC. The NC shield makes cars look like they've been widened & lowered with the top chopped by 2"! Almost
like every car I see is on its way to a custom car show.

I've never had a problem with the CB shield cracking around the mounting holes. One of my precautions is to chamfer the edges of the mounting holes and also make sure not to overtighten the bolts. I can't recall what it is but the torque spec provided by CB is low so I adhere to that plus use a mild LocTite on the screw threads

Bike
Silver NT700V
I am one of those with the Laminar Lip on the stock screen. I like the set up and have had no issues with it in 55,000 plus miles other than replacing the Duo Lock fasteners. The installation is totally without drilling unless you just want to. If you go to the Laminar Lip site and look at the NT700v photo, this is my bike.

Bike
'10 nt700v red
I just lost my second Cee Bailey shield to cracks...the V-Stream is already on its way.

I will no loger use any acrylic windshields on my bike, ever.
This my story exactly, except I already have a V-Stream and love it.
John

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
FYI, do NOT use loctite on the windshield bolts. The fumes attack the plastic and cause it to become brittle.

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
Got the V-Stream installed, seems nice so far but will get a better idea of how it will perform with some more miles.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...do NOT use loctite on the windshield bolts. The fumes attack the plastic and cause it to become brittle...]

Was your statement aimed at all windshields or just acrylic windshields? So far I haven't had any problems with the Cee Bailey and it was only a tiny drop on each screw thread.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I aimed it at all plastic stuff. Glad you have not had a problem.

FWIW. I never had a problem with the bolts working loose on mine. Usually the opposite. They seemed to get tighter the longer they were on there.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have a + 4 with about 45,000 miles on it and no problems. I normally run it at about the 1/2 way point on adjustment settings. I have the tension set so I can reach forward and slap it at the top to move it lower if that is desired, however I have to stop and get off bike to raise it. I also have a full Vario on my Shadow VLX. It does a ok job , better tan what was on it previously . for the FJR I am going to try the Yamaha touring shield which is 4 inches over stock and 1/2 inch wider. It was cheap enough that if it works , great, if it don't I am not out a whole lot.

Yes the top portion of the vario can be purchased separately either in a clamp on version , or in a bolt on unit, or at least that was the options in addition to the full unit when I got the one for my shadow.

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
One of the only issues I had with the vario option is it does not extend the width of the shield, which I considered a fault of the stock one, ie, it was not wide enough. The CB was just enough wider that it got the wind off my shoulders a little and it handled some crosswinds better. Also why I would have tried the VStream. The CalSci was also lacking in that dept, although it had the little 'wings' at the bottom to help protect the hands. It had other issues, like the vent that did not work well when the shield was raised (I taped over it).

I have the vario on my Goose, but, it's only function is the smooth the flow a little and to raise the flow a couple of inches to get it over the top of my helmet. For that it works very well.

Top Bottom