Bummer - right side pannier latch broke - made one too many grocery runs with my NT!

I guess I've made one too many grocery runs with the NT as I was max-packing some in. My right side pannier latch which screws into the plastic - the plastic broke. I was able to close it - but its hanging on by a thread and I don't dare to open it. Because the plastic broke, which is part of the right pannier cover, I think I'll have to replace the whole thing.

Where do people replace such things? I called my friendly local Honda dealer and the right pannier cover costs 250 bucks + labor to fix.

If I just buy the part somewhere, is it easy to replace the right pannier cover? i.e. - remove from the hinge etc?

Looking for some pointers - I know these are common problems with our beloved steeds,

David Fields

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The broken plastic post can be repaired using epoxy and perhaps some metal as a stiffener. I've used alum spacers to build-up missing height when posts have broken. I've yet to break any of the latch posts on the lid but did notice some cracking around the screw holes so made a repair before it got worse.

Some of the damage to the posts, either on the lid or inside the saddlebag, are caused by a gorilla overtightening the screws at the factory.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Superglue and Baking soda. Superglue the two plastic parts together, sprinkle on baking soda, when the reaction subsides brush off the excess.

Dave. I did the same thing tonight. Not paying attention, I opened the left pannier lid without providing proper support. As the lid flung open, the force broke the plastic tabs on the lid that that retaining screws go into. I hope to upgrade them to the larger pannies at some point, but until then I would like to reattach the support straps to the lid if at all possible.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
John mentions Super Glue and Baking Soda. My question is--Does the Baking Soda act as some sort of catalyst? Is it a thickener for the Super Glue? This is the first time I have heard of this.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
When added to baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), cyanoacrylate glue forms a hard, lightweight adhesive filler (baking soda is first used to fill a gap then the adhesive is dropped onto the baking soda). This works well with porous materials that the glue does not work well with alone. This method is sometimes used by aircraft modelers to assemble or repair polystyrene foam parts. It is also used to repair small nicks in the leading edge of composite propeller blades on light aircraft. The reaction between cyanoacrylate and baking soda is very exothermic (heat-producing) and also produces noxious vapors.

Video
Sounds not too good.

Last edited:
Bike
choosing
Gorilla Glue kinda foams up as it dries, but I promise you, it wont come apart after it dries.

Just make sure you have things lined up properly.

Joe

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Debbie has a 2010 NT (27k miles) and the lids have always closed without any grief - just a gentle push and they locked in place. Three weeks ago before a long trip to AR, she couldn't get the left side to lock and it occurred about an hour before our scheduled departure so all I could do was used bungee cords to secure the lid. We did the entire trip that way.

Over the weekend of the 4th, I finally had a chance to look and see what was amiss. Hoping to find some loose screws and linkage stuck with grunge, I was aghast to see all four of the plastic towers that hold the linkage mechanism were broken. Two of the screws had fallen out and who knows where they are? For both sides, she ordered some luggage locks posted on this website so we'll make a permanent fix next weekend.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Having the latch breaking is not a bad thing. I like to be able to open the lids without having to use the key. At a gas station sometimes you want to change your riding gear or get out some water etc., it nice not having to get the key out. Secret I usually leave a naked key in the ignition, no one is going to steal and NT. At night at a motel you can come back out after checking in without a key and gain access to the stow gps, etc.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Debbie has a 2010 NT (27k miles) and the lids have always closed without any grief - just a gentle push and they locked in place. Three weeks ago before a long trip to AR, she couldn't get the left side to lock and it occurred about an hour before our scheduled departure so all I could do was used bungee cords to secure the lid. We did the entire trip that way.

Over the weekend of the 4th, I finally had a chance to look and see what was amiss. Hoping to find some loose screws and linkage stuck with grunge, I was aghast to see all four of the plastic towers that hold the linkage mechanism were broken. Two of the screws had fallen out and who knows where they are? For both sides, she ordered some luggage locks posted on this website so we'll make a permanent fix next weekend.
Its been a year and a half since I installed my luggage locks, and they still work fine. One caution - be sure you fit them snug so that the clasp fits snuggly over the lip. I keep tools and other "junk" in the right side, and it has never opened accidentally, but the left lid has opened three times, always when there in nothing in the pannier. I assume the weight keeps the clasp from bouncing when I have luggage in it.

I do put a tiny dab of water replacing lube in the number wheels on occasion - just to keep them functioning after rain.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had both panniers come open when stuff's been in them. Tools, etc. in the right one and, once, a book, a bill, and my checkbook in the left one. That time I rode about 60 miles at speeds of up to 80 and then through Denver on I-25 at 60-70mph. I still haven't had anything fall out of a pannier. (Knock on wood! I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow!)

I'd like to see some wind tunnel data or computer modeling of the aerodynamics of an opened NT pannier.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[I do put a tiny dab of water replacing lube in the number wheels on occasion - just to keep them functioning after rain.]

She bought the type that uses a keyed lock. And I'll be sure to fit them with light tension on the internal hook mechanism. Thanks.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Bought my NT last November, after reading on this forum about all the problems with the mechanism and latches I went with external locking latches from Southco. They are all keyed alike, about $15.00 each. I bought a set of large lids from David Silver Spares, I live a 75 minute drive from their warehouse in Hanover, Pa., so I drove over and picked them up. I now have the latches on both sets so I can use either the small or large lids. You have to be very careful aligning them up during install. Problem solved. BBIMG_0729.jpgIMG_0730.jpg

Top Bottom