Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avon Storm Ultra 2

My Gallery

Avon Storm Ultra 2

I bought a set of Storm Ultra 2s in February of this year to replace the Bridgestone 023s on my bike. I put the rear on first as the front Bridgestone was still OK. Calculating the rear mileage now, I was amazed to find that I'd put 8200 miles on the rear Avon and it looks great and still without a wide, flat band down the center.

The front Bridgestone will be replaced today at 14,600 miles. Although it provided great mileage it had been noisy for about the last 2,000-3,000 miles. The rear 023 was the same way in that it still had rubber remaining but I could no longer stand the noise! Noise and rapid wear for the rear tire was a major complaint with the 023s.

Avon replaced the Storm Ultra 2 with an updated tire so this particular model is no longer available unless you can find NOS sitting somewhere. A lot of the online shops no longer show this model.

› Site Search for: Avon Storm Ultra 2

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Re: Avon Storm Ultra 2

Thanks for the report! The Storm 2 Ultra seems to be the favored tire (or tyre) by the guys in the UK forum. I gave serious consideration to the Avon before settling on the Dunlops, with which I have been well pleased. Keep us advised on longevity, performance etc. I have been seeing an ad here and there for an "extra mileage" version of the rear tire.

Mike
    "tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...." Mark Twain

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Mike,

My rear Avon Storm Ultra 2 which was installed in March still has no flat band down the center and it's been ridden a lot on the slab, going/coming from South Dakota for MSTA event in Rapid City. The other day, I was shocked when I did the math and discovered the rear tire has 8800 miles on it and it still has a rounded profile!

I honestly wanted to stay with Bridgestone but their replacement tire for the 023 only talked about increased grip and made no mention of extended mileage. The front 023 provided long miles but the rear was toast by 10k miles. That's when I decided to try the Storm Ultra 2 which a few close friends have been recommending for years.

My Gallery

Old Man with too little time and too much to ride

My Gallery

The Avon's weren't near as good as the PR3's. The rear on mine squared off nicely at around 6k. I wore it down to the belts at 10-11k IIRC.
    2010 Honda NT (sold), 1984 Moto Guzzi 850T5
    2009 Dodge 3/4T diesel, 2011 Honda Element
    "I wish the NT had 20 more hp and 6 speeds..."

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Rear Avon now at 9322 miles and it still looks rounded and handles great. A tiny bit of noise from the rear but not objectionable.

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

That sounds pretty good. My last PR3 was pretty well squared-off at 10K. My "new" PR4 has over 9K on it and still looks and feels good.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 118,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

How do some of you get such high mileage from your tires?

I vowed to not get the Avons again given their limited life and price (they were better than stock). The PR3's looked almost new at the same mileage the Avons squared at.

My Gallery

Much of it, is the surface of the road. I know that on my last bike, I routinely got 14-15000 out of a rear tire, when owners living in Texas only got about 8000.

My question about the Avons though...is how well do they work in rain? How do they compare to a PR4 for traction in the wet?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT, Ebenezer - 2011 Honda NT700V (Gone, but not forgotten!)
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

My Gallery

Don't know about PR4s or PR3s, but the Avons did pretty good in really wet, at least they did the two times I rode them in the rain

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast