Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Avon Storm Ultra 2

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Re: Avon Storm Ultra 2

Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I use a precise ratio of 78% nitrogen in my tires, with 21% oxygen. It seems to give me better handling response and mpg.

My tires only get a couple pounds of air added every 2-3 months, so it must be working.

Chris
    I've found that the same mixture has worked, even at Colorado's higher altitudes.

› Site Search for: Avon Storm Ultra 2
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 115,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

I think only someone like Woodaddict on this would benefit from nitrogen. The rest of us are doing insufficient mileage. As the article says: "Get a good, accurate tyre pressure gauage and use it often".
    Regards,
    John
    Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking than men spend thinking.

My Gallery

I replaced the original 023's with pr4's. These are now near end and will require replacing early this season. I generally ride distances and in warmer weather, loaded. The Avons may save a few dollars and last a wee bit longer, but I will stick to the pr4's. I like the sipes when caught in the rain and I just trust them! Thanks for all the discussion, everyone!
    Last edited by olddy55; 02-19-2017 at 06:15 PM.

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Try starting a fire in an atmosphere of nitrogen, fire - rapid oxidation. funny how that will not work. Science is not liberal Fake news.
    Karl
    2010 ABS "Jezabell"

My Gallery

Filling with Nitrogen is a con-job for the average person.
    Phil is right, 78% Nitrogen/21% Oxygen is good and has been for over 100 years.
    Yes, Nitrogen is an advantage for aircraft and Formula 1 tyres which suffer extremes of temperature.
    Nitrogen expands and contracts less than air so the pressure stays more stable.
    Proponents of Nitrogen use say that Oxygen molecules leech out of the tyre faster than the Nitrogen molecules.
    That appears to be true but if it is, it is therefore logical that every time you add air to your tyres you are effectively increasing the percentage of Nitrogen inside.
    By the time your tyres are worn out they should have nearly 100% Nitrogen inside anyway.
    I have been selling and fitting tyres for nearly 50 years and could charge my customers $5 to top up each tyre but I cannot do that with a clear conscience.

Macka

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

[...Science is not liberal Fake news...]

I love that statement!

I've had some new tires that bled air more rapidly than other new tires without rhyme or reason. When there is a drop from warm-to-cold ambient temps, recheck your tires and fortunately, our temps are heading in the other direction and we really haven't had a winter where I live in west central OH. In cleaning-up my garage yesterday (while wearing shorts & t-shirt!), I almost put my snow shovel into attic storage above the garage but decided to wait for a few more weeks. You never know when Mother Nature might throw in a last sucker punch!

I'm going riding today with some pals and that'll be my 4th or 5th ride for February.

+ New Posts
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345