5th Nat'l NT Rally - Jul 8-11, 2015 - Spearfish, SD

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Heck, $7.50 would only get you a few hours at Bell's Motor Lodge, even less time at Day's Inn, etc! Sounds great to me.

I camp a lot at various KOA's with my Airstream, and about the cheapest spot to park these days with full hookups is 40 bucks a night.

However, on my way north to Calgary in June, I'll have to pay $37 a night for a tent site with NO hookups at KOA in Green River, UT.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Whoa! $37/night??? No hookups? Outrageous. You could camp out at Gobln Vallley, south of I-70 on the way to Hanksville.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
Oh yeah, I'll be there. Staying at Bell's again. Should be good times, as usual.

I'll post info on my Canadian trip itinerary shortly, with stop off in Spearfish on the way home.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Doug and Rich...Have either of you checked out the Rodeway Inn? It's pretty modern compared to Bells and is closer to the campground being used. I liked out beverage and cigar session last year at Bells, so I will be staying there if most everyone else is. Doug...I'm working on that T-Shirt also.
Len

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug and Rich...Have either of you checked out the Rodeway Inn? It's pretty modern compared to Bells and is closer to the campground being used. I liked out beverage and cigar session last year at Bells, so I will be staying there if most everyone else is. Doug...I'm working on that T-Shirt also.
Len
Hey Len - -

I'm already registered at Bell's. In kinda like the funky little place. And - I'll bring the cigars!!

T-shirt - that would be WAY cool. Looking forward to seeing (and buying) that.

You riding the Can-Am?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Its a game time decision on which bike I will be on. I love the Spyder but the NT is soooo good on the twisties.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I visited Chris's Campground today. I personally don't like it as much as the City Campground. It's not very level and for people with short little stubby legs, parking off the road is going to be "interesting." Tent sites are going to leave us rolling down the hill. Gritch, moan, grumble...

It'll probably be OK, but I wasn't that impressed. Lynn (I think that was her name), the campground manager, was nice.

From left to right, the pictures show: 1) where our tentsites will be; 2) tentsites on left, bath house on right; 3) pavilion to right of road, bathhouse on extreme right of picture; 4) tentsites.

Attachments

Last edited:

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
The photo's don't look bad at all. But, like others, I have reservations at Bell's Motor Lodge. Not fancy, not a dump. Juuuust right.

Tourguy

Chris' can't be TOO bad . . . is rated a "9" out of 10 on Woodalls/AAA !! . . . and for $7 a nite Wow! I'm signing up. And look for flattest spot i can find. :smile:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tourguy, it's not bad at all. They were just starting to get it in shape for the season when I visited and I'm sure it'll work great.

The Spearfish City Campground just had an ambience that I loved. It was the creek bubbling away as I went to sleep and then when I woke up 3 or 4 time during the night. :)

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
Hmm. I'm up enough times during the night that I don't need a babbling brook in the background giving me ideas.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have tentative approval to be off work for this year. Did a test run last weekend with the Tiger and did over 400 miles in six hours to test comfort and work out any issues. Well didn't have any issues, so the new bike and I should be there as planned. The tiger came from the factory with Cruise control and is my first bike with it. The day I did over 400 miles of testing was the first time I used it for more than a few miles. It was great. I may have to add a mechanical one to the DR650.

Thanks for posting the photos Phil. I don't think it looks bad at all. I too really liked the city campground, but am willing to give this a try. I have never purchased one of those hammock tent things, but the number and spacing of the trees looks perfect for hammock camping.

I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well, a conflict of interests has arisen. It turns out that our Wisconsin State Field Archery Tournament is on July 11 & 12 this year and I really want to attend. So that means a 700+ mile road burn on Friday (and riding to an earlier time zone) to get back in time to shoot Saturday AM, or simply missing the 5th Natl. Rally. I hate to miss gathering with you folks and exploring the new campground. And I'll have to miss the pizza eating as well. I may be one of the first to arrive and to leave this year. My riding season is only about half of what some of you folks are used to so I don't mind squeezing it a bit.

So, for now, my plan is to arrive early (I don't think that is against the rules) and leave early Friday (I don't care if that's against the rules) and do whatever socializing I can during the time I'm there. Sorry if I have to miss some of you later arrivals.

See you at Chris's

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I was planning on coming up on Wednesday, but I could come up on Tuesday if you'll be there by Tuesday evening, Jim.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well, a conflict of interests has arisen. It turns out that our Wisconsin State Field Archery Tournament is on July 11 & 12 this year and I really want to attend. So that means a 700+ mile road burn on Friday (and riding to an earlier time zone) to get back in time to shoot Saturday AM, or simply missing the 5th Natl. Rally. I hate to miss gathering with you folks and exploring the new campground. And I'll have to miss the pizza eating as well. I may be one of the first to arrive and to leave this year. My riding season is only about half of what some of you folks are used to so I don't mind squeezing it a bit.

So, for now, my plan is to arrive early (I don't think that is against the rules) and leave early Friday (I don't care if that's against the rules) and do whatever socializing I can during the time I'm there. Sorry if I have to miss some of you later arrivals.

See you at Chris's
Just glad you can make it.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I was planning on coming up on Wednesday, but I could come up on Tuesday if you'll be there by Tuesday evening, Jim.
That sounds like it could be a plan. Lets keep in touch. I won't hold you to it if you don't hold me to it. We both know how things come up and interrupt "retired" people (and old people forget).

Top Bottom