Newest Member of Broken Pannier Latch Club

Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
Unfortunately, I became the newest member of the broken lid latch club yesterday AM. I figured it would come eventually, but I didn't expect it at 8,200 miles and light use.
After picking up some Permatex PermaPoxy 5 min. Plastic Weld (they were out of JB Weld) last night on my way home from work, I attempted repair today after searching the saddlebag forum for ideas.
Since I'm not mechanically inclined, I attempted the straightforward welding of broken "screw bosses?" and then I partially filled the rectangular bowl with some more epoxy to provide further strength. I must admit that I expected the epoxy to be more liquid and that I could "flow" it into the cracks and bowl. However, it became putty-like almost immediately which made it difficult to work with. I was working in direct sunlight for a better view and I wonder if that set it off too fast? Anyway, it doesn't look pretty but it's holding for now. Testing revealed that it was almost impossible to get the sucker latched but easy to unlatch. After fiddling for a long time (and probably weakening the new repair) I found a combination of washers that seem to allow the left pannier lid to operate normally.
I didn't go for a test ride, but I may take the bike to work tomorrow anyway. I made sure I threw a spool of fishing line in the other side as a repair kit-hopefully I don't have to use it.
Have a good weekend.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
John, the video is attention getting. I guess some chemist must have thought of mixing those two products and the results speak for themselves. I hope to remember this for future use. Thanks.

Red's posting on the broken pannier lid spurred me to use Plast-Aid to build up and reinforce the screw bosses on my lids -- which so far have no signs of cracking, but I hope to avoid problems in the future. Plast-Aid is an alternative to epoxy, but starts out almost water-thin, and then sets up over about 15 minutes, giving you more time to get the product in place. If you are interested in my experience, read on.

I purchased a six ounce Plast-Aid kit after reading about the product in Motorcycle Consumer News. Its a two part material (a powder and a liquid). It is also supposed to naturally bond with plastic.

I assembled a bunch of little plastic cups, plastic spoons, and stir sticks. The instructions are not very specific about how much of the powder to mix with the liquid; when its first mixed it is so thin its hard to believe it will ever set up, but it will. I found more powder cut the curing time, but I was never sure about the exact proportion.

I worked slowly in small batches, tilting the lids (off the bike) so the material would settle to the proper position, using blue painters tape to dam up the ends of the screw bosses. It worked best to wait until the product set up to a molasass consistency, and then spoon into the desired location. I am a naturally messy person and even working gradually my results are not photo-worthy, but it did work out and I was pleased with the product once I got used to working with it. I used less than half the six ounce kit to reinforce all four latch mounts. I attempted to mix acrylic artists color into the mix to match my NT red, but found the acrylic did not mix with the liquid, it just remained in little globs, so that did not work out. The stuff stinks and I would suggest using it outside if at all possible.

I also managed to let some of the stuff dribble onto the exterior of one of the the lids (again, I have a problem with neatness). After a bout of panic, I was able to wipe off and then gently scrape the Plast-Aid off the outside of the lid with my fingernail before it set up completely; it did not craze the finish. So I only have a bit of a smudge, rather than a disaster.

No idea if this will insure that I have no problems with the lid latches, but I felt it was worth a try.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
One of the reasons why I am so happy with the solution I found for the "pannier problem" is that none of the OEM screws are used. No plastic to crack - no screws used to break the plastic.

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?8841-Pannier-Latch-Solution

All the stress is now borne by the new external latching and the hinge. I have about 5,000 miles on the system since installation last May, and have yet to see any cracks or other indication of failure. I've removed every last part of the original latching system. I might add that I have never been accused to under-stuffing my panniers. :p

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
Comanche, I took a long look at your solution prior to my epoxy repair.

I really like the look, operation, and the aluminum plates spreading the stress over a larger area. I may use this in the future if current repair fails.

My main concern is the lack of skill on my part. Would I be able to properly position the new mechanism so that it wasn't too tight or too loose? I would also leave the OEM mechanism in place but I would remove the latches that are held on with Phillips head screws. I assume this would still allow the seat to be opened with the OEM latch.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hey Red - I'm kinda like you. I am not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, but Big Phillip is. If you decide to use the latches I use, Phil will be more than happy to help - even to a phone call. I know he measured, remeasured and really sweated being sure the mechanism wouldn't be to tight or to loose.

Let me know if you need some help.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
Let me know if you need some help.[/QUOTE]

This is why I like this forum. Everyone is eager to help and courteous.

If the rest of the U.S., and world, acted with the civility as the members of this forum, the world would be a better place.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Let me know if you need some help.

This is why I like this forum. Everyone is eager to help and courteous.

If the rest of the U.S., and world, acted with the civility as the members of this forum, the world would be a better place.
Not so long ago the world was going in that direction then the god of greed looked down and saw it wasn't good. So now, in a lot of places, though thankfully not here, it's every man for himself.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you decide to use the latches I use, Phil will be more than happy to help - even to a phone call. I know he measured, remeasured and really sweated being sure the mechanism wouldn't be to tight or to loose.
I assume you're talking about another Phil than me, Comanche. I'm not that "ept" mechanically, even though I'm not completely inept. I'm one latch failure away from adopting your fix.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I assume you're talking about another Phil than me, Comanche. I'm not that "ept" mechanically, even though I'm not completely inept. I'm one latch failure away from adopting your fix.
Yep - talking about Big Phillip.

But then again, doesn't that describe you too? :wink:

Top Bottom