Missing in action black side cover

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
When I stopped at motel I got off the NT and as unloading I notice the black section on the right side, that covers the battery area under the seat is gone! How I lost that piece. I did a check before I left and there was nothing out of place.
So now I have to replace that piece, but when I look I don't see the part
http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/l/hon/5053fe12f870021c54beaa4f/2010-nt700v-ac-parts

I guess I tape up the area till I can find a way to purchase the missing section. It seems I would of felt it go, I think on the first gas station I looked over the packing and nothing caught my eye as wrong.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
You must have been really trying to lose that bit. :D

I did lose one off a CX500 many years ago on the M6 in Lancashire, UK. The garage hadn't re-installed it properly after the service. Now I always check all bodywork is properly attached.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
I almost seems impossible to loose that section. I only find the fasteners one line not the cover. I guess I try a dealer and see if he can order the part. I looked all over Ebay, and I don't see part listed. I decided to get external fasteners for the side cases, I think the lock system is starting to wear, seems to turn hard then when purchased. The more I ride the NT the more I like the thing, sure it has some minor issues, but it can handle any thing. I rode some of the worst roads in WV,gravel and just stone, and the best curved roads you can find anywhere. The NT can do more the I can.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...almost seems impossible to lose that section...]

I agree. You or someone else didn't install that part correctly. It has an angle tab in front plus one of those plastic studs in the back that fits into a rubber grommet, along the back edge, there are 2 or 3 male tabs that into into slots in the saddlebag, and in front it has a round socket that fits tightly over a lug.

In regards to the latching mechanism, it is exposed to the elements from the inside so water and crud can gum-up the works. It helps greatly if you remove the saddlebag, remove the mechanism and clean it thoroughly, then lube with something light that doesn't attract dirt. I've been using silicone spray. Yup, it's a lot of work but it's one of my winter projects so I don't mind.

The last one I had off, got cleaned and reinstalled with new springs. The springs are fairly cheap and I figured it couldn't hurt. So far it works great.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
The one part that keeps trying to fly off my NT is the cover over the top right side cowl pocket (the non locking one). I only keep a rag and water spray bottle in it for wiping my visor. If I don't securely close it then somewhere shortly down the road it will be flapping up and if I'm going fast enough it will come completely out. I've had to stick it between me and the tank pad on a couple of occasions and reinstall at the next stop. I need to rig it with a landyard.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The one part that keeps trying to fly off my NT is the cover over the top right side cowl pocket (the non locking one).
I've lost one of those. The replacement is finally starting to look grey. :)

elizilla

Those rubber grommets get tired and their grip on the side covers weakens. My older Hondas had the same grommets to hold their side covers and I have had them fly off, caught them with my knee and saved them. I'd think you would have caught this one with your knee too, it's huge.

If I were you I would replace the grommets when I replaced the cover, just as a precaution. They're not expensive.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
I will replace all parts, when I find them, (I guess a trip to a dealer). I never removed that part so I never checked to see how the attachment of it. Went all over every inch at each stop since, after the horse got out of the barn I guess.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The part number for the right side cover is 83611-MEW-920. It will cost you about $5.00

Top Bottom