Hacking the Super10

elizilla

I think I'm gonna do it. I'm in discussions with DMC Sidecars. Here's the sidecar I am considering:

Expedition Sidecar

They will install electric push button shifting as part of the job. They will modify the front end for easier steering, and I'll get the electric trim control to raise and lower the suspension on the sidecar wheel with a push of a button, all for easier steering.

Since it costs hardly any more to paint the bike a new color, than it would to color match the sidecar to the stock bike, I might change the color. I'm thinking yellow. With Yamaha film strip decals.

I'm going to sell the NC700X to pay for it. I am just too awkward to feel comfortable and I rarely ride it. It has less than 1000 miles. It's too late to sell it this fall but I'll put it up in the spring.

It would be cool to fly out there and ride the new outfit home. They said they'll keep it for me until I am ready to fetch it, but I'd have to either detour way south, or wait for weather to break so I can get over the Rockies. I don't know if I want to wait that long.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Katherine, this looks like a great deal for you! I'm excited that you've found something that will solve your riding issues. They'll be on my short-list to talk to when I get to the point where two wheels won't work for me.

OP
OP

elizilla

After owning two very different rigs, I have some opinions about what I do and do not like, and this threads between them nicely.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That looks really good. When I was chasing a sidecar rig DMC always received great reviews in everything I read...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Nice choice. Cant go wrong with dmc either.
I have wondered why they havent come up with a reverse, like a starter motor that works on the hack wheel, or a setup like the gold wings.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Charlie,

I think Jay has done stuff like that already. All you have to do is ask. The man is genius. Took a tour of his shop one afternoon after the monthly Moto Guzzi breakfast, I was truly amazed at some of the things he was doing. If you can think of it, or describe what you want, he can probably make it happen.

OP
OP

elizilla

Glad to hear the good reports on Jay. I liked talking to him and he sounded keen.

OP
OP

elizilla

Karl, I have been there, but I'm finding more to interest me in the Hacks subforum on advrider. Sidecar.com has less traffic, less volatility/energy/madness.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Dee,

I have always heard good stuff about them. I di a LOT of research on a hack a few years back but kinda put it in the back of my brain for a while. I may still look at getting one for the T5, but, will depend on what my condition is, and, if we still have bigger dogs around (the hack would be for the dogs, or, if I can't handle two wheels anymore).

Katherine, you are in good hands and look forward to your hack job :)

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe you were going to hack the electronics of the S10 and I might pick up some tips that I could use on my FJR.

After owning two very different rigs, I have some opinions about what I do and do not like, and this threads between them nicely.
I would like to hear more about your impressions of the Ural and the K75.

OP
OP

elizilla

I would like to hear more about your impressions of the Ural and the K75.
Things I liked about the K75/Hannigan:
The handling was spectacular and the bike pulled the sidecar very well. I didn't have wrestle it at all, and I could take it on the highway quite comfortably. I could carry things in the trunk and they stayed dry. There was more space for the passenger and the venting was nice.

Things I didn't like about the K75/Hannigan:
The bike's age was palpable. It was beat up and needed a lot of things, and I just didn't like it enough to put the work into it. It didn't fit me very well and the parts I needed were either unobtanium or priced as if they were. I didn't like being the passenger in the sidecar, because the sidecar seat was so low that I might as well have been sitting on the ground with my legs out front of me. There was nothing to brace my feet on to not have my knees hyperextended. I also felt more isolated from the driver (and from everything else) in there. It would be safer to carry kids in there since there was so little opening for them to stick any body parts out, but you might as well install a portable dvd player, so they won't get bored in their isolated pod. And the sidecar wall was too high, hard to climb in and out, especially without the convenient step bumper/door setup that the Ural has.

Things I like about the Ural:
The person in the sidecar is more connected to the world outside. Rider and passenger can look at each other and yell to each other more easily. And the seat is placed high enough that my knees are bent when I ride in it. It is popular everywhere I go; I have met a ton of people I'd never have met without it, including my husband. :) The bike is reasonably comfortable and I was able to easily buy an aftermarket tank shifter when I needed it. It's fun to ride it in the snow, and with all that weight and steel I don't worry about banging it up on terrible surfaces. You can fix it with basic tools and you don't have to be a mechanical genius.

Things I don't like about the Ural:
It's slow. Top speed 62mph, flat out. The carbs need to be rejetted differently for winter vs summer. The bike vibrates parts off all the time and from all reports I should not expect to put high miles on it without lots of garage time. The handling is terrible enough that I wouldn't want to go more than that top speed of 62mph anyway, because it would just be too scary. I have adjusted it like crazy and I still have to muscle the bars pretty much every minute. It pulls right under acceleration and left when you roll off, and every gearshift brings a little jerk to one side or the other. I had to take the windshield off the car because the angle made it hard for the physically challenged (me, and others) to climb in and out. The tub opening is just short enough that it's hard for me to fold my very long legs to get myself out of it.

Things that are just things: I have been letting my friends ride the Ural. Pretty much anyone who wants to, I take them someplace with no traffic, trade seats, and let 'em have a shot. The handling quirks are right up front; you aren't going to get it up to school zone speed without realizing it's a crazed monster, and with all that weight you're not going to fly the car by accident. One of my friends put it in the ditch, and I just traded seats with him and drove it out, no harm no foul. I was much more hesitant to let people ride the K75/Hannigan outfit, because it was so well sorted you could easily get up to dangerous speed before you got a proper sidecar scare. And there is always a sidecar scare. If you're gonna drive a sidecar you have to learn about them. I have been calling the Ural the big crayon of sidecar bikes. No precision, but it forgives the hamfisted, if only because it slows them down while they learn to cope.

I expect the Super10/DMC outfit will be like the K75/Hannigan in that regard, and I'll need to be much more careful about letting people try it. They're promising me that level of handling. I already know the Super10 fits me and is in perfect condition; I won't be looking at a lot of work to redeem a roach beater of a motorcycle. The shape of the car I am getting is similar to the Ural's, with the convenient step I like, but it is larger in every dimension. So it should be easier to climb in and out, than either the Ural or the K75/Hannigan, and hopefully feel as sociable as the Ural, rather than isolating the passenger. It will weigh less than the Ural, though, because the tub is fiberglass instead of steel. The windshield can be folded all the way forward for the passenger climbing in and out, and all the way back and down when there is no passenger. Having the windshield will make it nicer for the passenger, especially at speed. The trunk is not going to fill with water in every little rain.

Right now I am planning to keep the Ural. It is its own thing and it's fun. I'll ride it in the snow every winter. :) But I am hoping the new outfit will bring me back some real traveling range, so I can get out motorcycle touring again.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks for the evaluations, Katherine. That's kind of what I had figured out about the Ural. I keep thinking that they'll actually get reliable one of these years, but it doesn't sound as if they are yet. The fuel-injected '14 models would eliminate seasonal rejetting.

OP
OP

elizilla

I think they are more reliable than they used to be, but it is still air cooled, it still vibrates, and it is still hard to keep the rust at bay. I'd like to trade up to the 2014 someday, not just for the fuel injection but also for the spin-on oil filter. I think those are worthy updates. In spite of the things I don't like, I still have been enjoying the heck out of the Ural and I am glad to own it. I think I will always have one; they're just plain fun and they're not very expensive.

Top Bottom