Hacking the Super10

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Thanks, also.

Earlier this year, I met a man and his dog in his Ural in a pet store parking lot. He said he takes the Ural out to run errands when he has plenty of time. People always want to stop and talk.

Last edited:
OP
OP

elizilla

Yes, the joke on the Ural forum is to call this UDF, which stands for Ural Delay Factor. I have definitely experienced it. I am an extrovert so I relish the excuse to meet people everywhere I go. I moved to a new town, in June of 2013, and I think the Ural has helped me make a lot more friends in my new neighborhood than I could have made otherwise. I park it outside while I work in the yard, and it breaks the ice with one neighbor after another.

OP
OP

elizilla

I got an update on my Super10 hack this week. They called me to talk about color. I am having them paint it Kenny Roberts yellow with some simple "film strip" stripes. A nod to classic Yamahas.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That'll be a good-looking outfit, Katherine. How much longer do you have to wait?

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Katherine,

I think that is a excellent choice for a hack, if & when if I get seriously into , or forced into away from just two wheels that would be my choice as well. biggest question at this time would I do it to the HD Ultra, or the FJR?I tend to think THe Ultra , upgraded to a 96 cu engine and a reverse added to the transmission. won't be a hot rod , but in a hack and with the throttle under my grandaughters hand it don't need to be anything but strong, with torque!

OP
OP

elizilla

They said it would take about three months. DMC reported that the bike had been delivered to them on Nov 12, so unless they're way ahead of schedule I wouldn't expect it back before February. I was surprised to get the call from their painter already, but I guess they don't have to get much done before they start painting - the sidecar tub is standard and the bodywork comes off pretty easily.

SeattleJim

I sold my Ural last fall and used the cash to put a DMC sidecar on my Scrambler. No regrets. Their painter matched the matte green of the Scrambler perfectly.

Although not considered a real dual sport bike it did very well on a DS ride last summer.

Can't wait to see the pics of your Kenny Roberts Edition S10!!

SeattleJim

The Ural was fun and I'm glad we had it but the Scrambler is so much nicer. I rarely ride highways but it good to be able to comfortably travel at the speed limit. Like Katherine, I had the optional triple tree installed so it steers easier. 2WD was a cool feature but haven't missed it. I do miss reverse but the Scrambler rig is easy to push backwards in most cases.

The Scrambler comes stock with the gaiters. I've always loved the function and looks of them. Old school.

We had been considering selling the Ural last year but I really liked the utility of a sidecar and was reluctant to sell. Last fall we were at DMC dropping of our Explorer to have a trailer hitch installed and got a free tour of the back. There were many classic Triumphs being fitted for sidecars. They all looked beautiful. By the time we had left we knew what we were going to do. Beware of "free" tours! But, if you are in the Northwest, don't pass up a tour of DMC.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
No kidding? Where'd you get that idea?
I went to Bike Bandit and bought the Triumph gaitors that fit the Scrambler after I had my 2nd fork seal get eaten by dried up bugs.

That's where I got that idea! :rofl1:

OP
OP

elizilla

DMC has been sending me a few pictures of my hack in progress. I have saved them in a Photobucket album here. It's done except for the graphics and the windshield. I hope they'll send me more pics today or Monday showing it complete, and when they do I'll put them in the album as well.

It'll take a couple of weeks to ship back to me, but the end is in sight. I am so excited!

Last edited by a moderator:

tawilke46

Nice.....That is a great looking rig Katherine! I know you are going to really enjoy riding it!
Did DMC add the car tire?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Katherine,
Just looked at your pictures on Photobucket--Wow! You definitely did it. That should be quite an eye catcher. You probably will not get to ride it much because people will be stopping to talk to you.

I am going to go ahead and have a sidecar fitted to my Yamaha XS650. There is a guy in Howland ME who specializes in hacks. He sees no problem fitting the Yamaha.

OP
OP

elizilla

DMC did add the car tire, yes. Also the leading leg fork. And a Pingel push button shifter. None of the pictures are at the proper angle to see the shifter, but I assume it's there.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm really impressed. They've done everything to make it work for you and it's absolutely beautiful. I love the color...but...will it clash with your hi-viz 'Stitch? :)

I used to think about repainting my '99 Connie that color.

Top Bottom