Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Checking the valves

My Gallery

Re: Checking the valves

Quote Originally Posted by NoVa Chris View Post
    I can confirm this works. I turned engine about 3/4 rotation past compression, guessing that would be the middle of the exhaust stroke, and the front cover came off without any struggle at all. After completing the adjustment, I reset the engine so the front exhaust valves were compressed, and again it was easy to replace the cover. I'd guess I had half an inch of clearance. Virtually eliminates the possibility of getting the gasket out of place.

When the exhaust valves are closed so the rocker/adjusters are "up", the adjusters interfere with the forward lip of the cover, making removal a "Chinese puzzle" as DirtFlier describes it.
    Thanks for the tip! I put it in my notes....

› Site Search for: Checking the valves
    2010 NT700v, "Spanish Dancer" , 2014 FJR "Red Torpedo"

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    A Kawasaki rep came to a National Concours ralley once and said that they reccommend you set them in spec but toward the loose side of the spec.
    Which COG National were you at, Chris? I've been at several of them, starting in 2000 when I went to Cedar Breaks and Mountain Home, but didn't make it to Natural Bridge. After that one I went to Klamath Falls, OR; Montrose, CO; Centralia, WA; Fortuna, NC; Hill City, SD; Frisco, CO; and Tomah, WI. if you were at those, we may have met before we met at Spearfish (in '12?).
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 118,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tarman View Post
    Which COG National were you at, Chris? I've been at several of them, starting in 2000 when I went to Cedar Breaks and Mountain Home, but didn't make it to Natural Bridge. After that one I went to Klamath Falls, OR; Montrose, CO; Centralia, WA; Fortuna, NC; Hill City, SD; Frisco, CO; and Tomah, WI. if you were at those, we may have met before we met at Spearfish (in '12?).
    Never went to one, but I heard the stories of wild women and hard liquor!

Dumb question.....

per the 06 Manual - both cold

intake - 0.006 in (0.15mm) +/- .001 - So the clearance can be .005 to .007 ?

Exhaust - 0.008 in (0.20mm) +/- .001 ...and here the clearance can be .007 to.009?

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by davis_ecd@yahoo.com View Post
    per the 06 Manual - both cold

intake - 0.006 in (0.15mm) +/- .001 - So the clearance can be .005 to .007 ?

Exhaust - 0.008 in (0.20mm) +/- .001 ...and here the clearance can be .007 to.009?
    Correct.
    Always good to make sure you're doing it right.
    It is too much trouble to do it over.

Did the first check the other day.....at about 2200 miles....the rear cyl. intake was was tighter than the exhaust....the front cyl was perfect......

Observations..... the rear valve cover can be removed without removing the throttle body...not so for the front...adjusting the front cyl tappets is gonna be a real pain...

My Gallery

It's a common mistake for mechanical newbies to NOT have the cylinder being adjusted on TDC compression. I'm old school so I usually turn the crankshaft through several revolutions counting to myself...."intake-compression-power-exhaust"...then start looking for the marks as I approach TF or TR. Many thanks to Mr Watkins my Auto Shop teacher from high school when we still had wood burning cars!

Doing away with shop classes in jr high (middle school) and high school was and still is a crime!

ps. in regards to the throttle bodies, I remove them but leave all the wires & cables connected, then place the unit on the side side of frame. And If you've never done it previously, the band clamp for the front throttle body is a real joy because of space and being blocked from view.
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 11-02-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    It's a common mistake for mechanical newbies to NOT have the cylinder being adjusted on TDC compression. I'm old school so I usually turn the crankshaft through several revolutions counting to myself...."intake-compression-power-exhaust"...then start looking for the marks as I approach TF or TR. Many thanks to Mr Watkins my Auto Shop teacher from high school when we still had wood burning cars!

Doing away with shop classes in jr high (middle school) and high school was and still is a crime!

ps. in regards to the throttle bodies, I remove them but leave all the wires & cables connected, then place the unit on the side side of frame. And If you've never done it previously, the band clamp for the front throttle body is a real joy because of space and being blocked from view.
    Yep....I'm sure I was at TDC...tappets were loose....

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Always look for the intake valves to go down and once they begin their upward journey, look for the timing mark.... gets TDC every time.

Mike
    "tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...." Mark Twain

+ New Posts
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516