[How To] Checking the valves

Bike
Honda NT700V
When you remove the tank bolts, also remove the collars so they don't fall out and get lost. pic 1

There are 9 screws in the top of the airbox. One of them is down that hole in the middle. pic 2

Lift out the filter. Disconnect the Intake Air Temperature Sensor plug. Remove 2 screws from each air funnel and lift them out.

Attachments

Bike
Honda NT700V
Disconnect breather hose from right rear of airbox. pic 4

Disconnect connector, then small hose from Map Sensor. pic 4

Disconnect breather hose from left side of airbox and remove assembly from hook. pic 5

Lift off airbox, exposing throttle bodies. pic 6

Attachments

OP
OP

elizilla

A magnetic screwdriver can be super handy for this job. :)

Bike
Honda NT700V
Pull rear plastic heat shield forward and up to remove. You may have to squeeze the sides a bit. Unhook the front plastic heat shield and slide it toward the front of the bike. It has 2 slots that hook over a pair of tabs on top of the radiator. Flip them off the tabs and pull it out to the rear. pic 7 & 8

Slide a long screwdriver in from the left to loosen the rear throttle body clamp screw. Or use an 8mm socket if you can get it in there. pic 9

To get to the front clamp screw, remove the right tipover cover and 2 bolts that fasten the right fairing piece. Then you can remove the 2 bolts that fasten the radiator expansion tank and move it out of the way. Stick a long screwdriver in from the right, between the two hoses and you can get to the clamp screw. pic 10 after throttle body removed pic 11 before throttle body removed

Attachments

Bike
Honda NT700V
Once the clamp screws are loose, the throttle bodies can rocked out of the mounts. Then, starting on the right side, disconnect the grey front fuel injector connector and the Blue throttle position sensor connector.

Next, disconnect the black IACV connector from the front of the front throttle body, slip the harness out of the clip (yellow arrow) and disconnect the grey rear fuel injector connector. pic 12

Now the throttle bodies can be rotated over to the left side of the bike, out of the way. pic 13

Remove the secondary air hose from each valve cover and the covers are ready to be removed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
George, what great pictures and guidance! Thanks so much. Now if I can make it to Chuck's tech session next Saturday, I'll be ready to do this myself...maybe.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Well Rick and I and a couple others are going to find out how hard it is going to be to check the valves, tomorrow morning after Sue (wife) makes breakfast for us. Rick is here at my place asleep on the couch. What did you guys to the poor man out there in Michigan?

OP
OP

elizilla

It's hard work for a cat, chasing all the nuts and bolts I kept dropping on the garage floor.

johnha

I have reached 600 miles with my new NT...................is everyone inspecting valves at 6 as recommended and what have been the results?
Thanks,
Eddie
No. I was at 2700 when I checked mine, but it was due to the length of my initial trip on the bike. I made a decision and I decided to live with the consequences, and worried about it the whole time. They were still in spec at my check as most have reported here, but were on the tight side of spec. I would not do that again. I did change the oil and filter in a hotel parking lot at 615 miles. Check 'em.

OP
OP

elizilla

Indeed, very nice! It's good to have photographers to document this stuff too!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I bought an extra clamp for the front cylinder throttle body and plan to make an extension for its screw so it can be seen from above and I don't have to force a tool against the coolant hoses. It's one of my winter projects. The friction of my 1/4" drive rachet against those hoses makes for a vague feeling in regards to understanding what's happening at the screw. Loosening and tightening that screw is the most difficult part of his task! I've checked the valves twice in 17k miles (800 mi & 12k mi) so I'd get a feel for how much the clearances change and in what direction.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I bought an extra clamp for the front cylinder throttle body and plan to make an extension for its screw so it can be seen from above and I don't have to force a tool against the coolant hoses. It's one of my winter projects. The friction of my 1/4" drive rachet against those hoses makes for a vague feeling in regards to understanding what's happening at the screw. Loosening and tightening that screw is the most difficult part of his task! I've checked the valves twice in 17k miles (800 mi & 12k mi) so I'd get a feel for how much the clearances change and in what direction.
Has any body that has check valves more than once get any movement in the clearance measurements?

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Very helpful info about the throttle body. That anxiety and the difficulty of getting at the front cylinder clamp kept me from doing the front cylinder checks. I'm feeling much more confident.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Very helpful info about the throttle body. That anxiety and the difficulty of getting at the front cylinder clamp kept me from doing the front cylinder checks. I'm feeling much more confident.
One concern was being able to tell if the TB was seated correctly during reassy. A little bit of wd40 on the boot and you can feel it slip on with a slight thump for each cylinder.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've found one or two valves slightly out of the +/- spec during the last check. They got looser which is a safe direction to go out of spec.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I've found one or two valves slightly out of the +/- spec during the last check. They got looser which is a safe direction to go out of spec.
That is interesting, as logic would say "as he valve seat wears in, the gap would get tighter". Maybe there is a bit more wear on the tappet assembly and valve stem.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
One concern was being able to tell if the TB was seated correctly during reassy

A well-placed concern! When I had a belated 24K service done at Sun Honda, the rear not completely seated...and Sun had done the previous service (a different tech, though).

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
A well-placed concern! When I had a belated 24K service done at Sun Honda, the rear not completely seated...and Sun had done the previous service (a different tech, though).
It's always reassuring to hear about the "supposed experts" messing up. Makes me feel better about my "amateur" mess ups and reconvinces me why I go to the trouble of doing my own wrench work.

Top Bottom