CPAP and the NT

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Just did a sleep study a few nights ago and am waiting on the VA to get back with me about a machine. I had been planning a long trip for next summer involving camping. Would there still be a way to make this work and use a CPAP machine? What would I need to ask or know when I get the equipment?

Bike
2011 NT
My cousin carried his along on his Wing. No problem but stayed in motels so he always had electicity available.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
We've had people at the NT-Owners National who used a CPAP machine by camping in a spot that had electricity. Wilderness camping probably wouldn't work, but there are some CPAP machines that are a lot smaller than they used to be. You can make it work!

Bike
Honda NT700V
There's been quite a bit of talk about using batteries to power CPAP units on the ADV forum. As Bob said, you can use a dual battery setup to charge the CPAP battery while riding. Some guys unplug that battery and take it into the tent and others run a cord from it on the bike. It's not too difficult to rig up a battery setup that won't tie you to commercial power.

Dunno what to tell you about what to ask. You'd probably best be served by a unit that can be run on 12 V. Using an inverter to convert 12 V to 110 AC is very inefficient. I think that most of the guys using battery power leave the humidifier at home.

edit: Here's a place to start reading.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825663&highlight=cpap

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832207&highlight=cpap

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700
There are batteries made specifically for CPAP travel. Cost runs in the hundreds
I have traveled many thousands of miles with mine and used mainly in hotels but I have camped with it as well. I am simply limited to either camping spots with electric (State Parks) or RV spaces like the one I shared with Richard at Spearfish
I just got a new machine that comes in a small satchel and will fit either in the left pannier or the bottom half of my top box
The actual machine is no larger than a clock radio (if you don't use the humidifier)not much more area than a large hand...5" x 6" x 3 ". The cord with transformer, hose and mask create the need for more storage space
It really isn't that big a deal for packing; 672 cubic inches 12x14x4 is what I give up to take the CPAP
Again, it equals either the left pannier or half of your topbox
You could also store it in a waterproof duffel on the backseat

rtr12850

Not using the CPAP a night or two in a row will not kill you, your companion might because of your back to snoring. If you are alone no big deal. If you plan on being on the road camping for extended periods you will need to find alternative solutions as those suggested in this forum.

Good sleeping.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
If the noise from snoring was the only problem I would not have a CPAP. Apnia can kill you.

Top Bottom