I'm Only Looking...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Yesterday I drove up to the Yamaha dealer in Fort Collins to look at an FJR. They didn't have any and the guy I talked to didn't know much about them. But, as I said yesterday, he told me that I was the 2nd person to walk in in 20 minutes looking for one.

Today, I rode over to Tri-City Cycles, just off I-25 a mile north of US-34 on the east side of Loveland. I had noticed last night that they were Colorado's newest Yamaha dealer.

They didn't have any '14 or '15 FJRs, but they did have a very clean stock '13. It's got 11,964 miles on it and they want $11,900 for it. Dave, the guy who talked with me about it, told me that they'd consider offers.

Tires were new Michelins (PR3s, I think). It took Dave and I about 15 minutes to figure out what the odometer reading was. The display was set up to show Trip 1 (or Trip A ... whichever it is). When Dave found the odometer reading, neither one of us was very sure what he'd done.

I think I like the color of the '13 better than the red. (No offense to all you guys who've gotten Ruby-red FJRs lately).

I don't know if I'd sell the NT if I bought an FJR or not. I'm guessing that one with nearly 100,000 miles on it wouldn't be worth much.

And I've got all those 100K stickers for NTs....

I did notice that I touch the ground with the same amount of foot on my NT with the Russell, on the Super Tenere that I sat on in Ft Collins, and on the FJR I sat on today at Tri-City.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Phil, I know That 2013 FJR at Tri Cycles. It belonged to a friend of mine who lives in Loveland, who traded it in for a 2014. model a few weeks ago. It is in excellent shape. He was the second owner and bought it from a private party in Ark. with 1400 miles on the clock. My friend is more anal about his bikes then me. If you choose that one you will be making a good choice based on the mechanics of the bike. Don't know any thing about the pricing. The seat has two positions High and low for you. If I am not mistaken the tires were PR4's but then I could be wrong. I can find out if you like.

Last edited:
Bike
Bonneville T120
You're safe as of now. If you took a test ride that would be a different story. It's the test ride that "dooms" individuals who are "just looking" at the Trophy.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Ahhh, go ahead, get that more power stuff. surprised to see a 2013 hanging around that long, since the '14 and '15 seem to be big sellers. somewhere around 7 or 8 on this forum have the FJR, go ahead and get one new or used. see.... its talking to you already!! just remember how wonderful those 2 connies acted with that " more power stuff"

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
As I said before I sense weakness in this one. He will soon be among the ranks of Yamaha owners...

Phil,

Rather than get insulted on what trade in value you'll probably be offered on the NT I'd just plan on keeping it....

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I made the mistake of stopping by the Yamaha dealer in Evansville, IN this Summer and looked at the new FJR1300 , then I went down the street to the Triumph dealer and looked at a Trophy with under 300 miles on it. I have been having these lustful thoughts ever since. I even stopped by the Honda dealer the same day and looked at the CTX1300 and the Valkyrie just to stir the pot a little more.
I need Jay Leno's garage space and his income!
I did check my pickup's odometer, and I have only put 4,300 miles on it over the last 19 months....riding my motorcycles to work as much as possible.
It seems like I put about that many miles on my lawn mowers this Summer, though. We had a lot of rain and the grass never stopped growing at any time.
Our farmers are finishing harvesting the largest corn and soybean crop per acre they have ever raised. Some are reluctant to even tell what some of the yields were, for fear of being called a liar. It takes lots of water and slightly cooler than normal temps to raise a wopper crop here in South Eastern Illinois. As they finish harvest up, I hear the farmers talk of having problems finding a place to put the crop. Their storage is full and all the elevators are full and piling it on the ground, and the rail and river system if backed up. Of course, that means lower prices per bushel, so those that didn't have the fertilizer in the ground to take advantage of the good weather are hurting. Lots to be thankful for around here, though.

Bike
Honda NT700V
It belonged to a friend of mine who lives in Loveland, who traded it in for a 2014. model a few weeks ago.
Chuck, you might ask your friend how much he got for the trade in to give Phil a heads up in his price negotiation with the dealer. Wouldn't want him to pay too much.;)

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I'm not a meteorologist, but I can tell which way the wind is blowing here.
:rofl1:

Ok. 10,000 miles is barely broken in for an FJR. On the other hand, you would be the third owner. I would start at around $10K and settle for $11,000.

Oh, while I am thinking about it - it is only a myth - founded by Honda owners - that the red ones are faster.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
As to the weight. The dry weight is only 28 kgs more than the NT!

Wet weights are:

NT700: 257 kg
FJR: 291 kg

or about 75 lbs difference.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'll bet Phil is just sitting back laughing at us trying to pick out a bike for him. We are all passionate about our motorcycles and choices. I'm keeping my NT because it is the most comfortable bike I've ever had overall.

But for Phil, he needs a bike in the 500+ pound range with a seat height around 29" and the ergos close to an NT. Most of the choices out there require some modifications to get there. The Wee, Versys, and FJ09 are the lightest, but are all on the tall side (for Phil). They all have better power than the NT. No one has suggested a R1200RT. Phil himself admits that the RT is the most comfortable bike for him. So as long as we are picking out a bike for Phil, lets just go to the top shelf. We don't have to pay for it.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chris,

the weight is not noticeable, the FJR has a lower center of gravity, If it starts to go and take a nap you just let it do it's thing , no matter in my or most likely Phil's caseit is going to take help to get it back on it's feet . AND there are accessories available for FEEJER to protect bags ETC .

AS to paying 11k for a 13 I won't get too deeply involved in that except for this one coment directed at Phil. I don't know about the Co. Area , but Sublimity Power Yamaha has 4 or 5 2014 A models in stock priced at $12,000 with full warranty , as well as extended available!, and if ony of oooour people need to fly in to get one I know a old contrary guy who will pick you up at Portland Or international air port and transport you to that store , and most likely find a hook to hang you and your gear on for the night etc!!!

Eldon

Bike
Jim has a good point ! since not paying for it I went to Seattle with a good friend of my son's , a medically retired wounded warrior whose service goes back before Bosnia who recently came into a very comfortableinheritance. I was his Esscout to take a bundle of cash to the Ducatie shop. as he made a payment of a very pretty ducatie, bike cost is around $60.K, His new helmlet to match the bike a little over $ 3,000.00 I almost chocked over that price tag, but the Ducatie helmlet feels like about 1/2 the weight of a shuberth, but they didn't have it in a modular. VERY nice candy in that dealership, although getting into it from Mercer street Exit was a interesting PIA!!! THE bike is beautiful and I think around 29 - 30 in seat height. It would be a pefect fit for Phil, the fuel tank would most likely accept his tank bag mounting Or perhaps a larger one as there is not a lot of other storage space on the bike! SO Phil go see Ducattie deler and give them a lookas it is a interesting experience!!::redface:

Lets see how about a new forum name like FEEJENTR owners:doh1:

Bike
Charlie b,

LOL yeah, particularly the HP, but they only are a 5 speed but I have ot from some very good sources that they are capable of EASY 149 ll day longwith the 5 speed!

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
. . . No one has suggested a R1200RT. Phil himself admits that the RT is the most comfortable bike for him. So as long as we are picking out a bike for Phil, lets just go to the top shelf. We don't have to pay for it.
Okay - I'll suggest it. Find a deal on one of the buy-back 2014 wetheads.

Its only money! :tongue:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Eldon, yeah I kinda figured with double the hp the 6th speed is redundant :D :D :D

And Phil, I also vote for the R1200RT. It was going to be my choice had I changed mounts.

But....would you want to wait to see if Honda really does come out with a new sport touring bike? May be next year....or year after....or year after...............

LOL

Top Bottom