I'm Only Looking...

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I briefly considered the 800GT, but:

1. Total cost of bike and parts
2. Poor dealer network
3. No shaft
4. I am too old for the RodneyRacer riding position.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
One more idea to consider Phil. As long as your manhood wouldn't be threatened, take a close look at a Burgman 650. I haven't found much to complain about mine, it is VERY easy to mount / dismount, a LOW comfy saddle, smoooooth, quiet, and great weather protection. Even my fuel economy is better than I expected - 59 mpg overall since new for 2100 miles.
If you lived closer, I would meet up with you and hand you the keys for a test ride. But, Greeley is 500 miles, so that is out. Unless, you happen to come to Albuquerque for a reason, then the offer still stands.
Like most motorcycle dealers, I had to search to find one who would offer a test ride, but I did, and I was sold within the first 25 miles. Just another option for you to consider since you "are just looking!"
However, you may find after all is said and done that you STILL prefer your NT. It sets a very high standard to beat, we all know.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
After reading y'alls helpful advice, I'm convinced pore ol' Dudley doesn't stand a chance.

:noway:

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
As long as we are picking out Phil's new bike, I vote he gets one of each that has been suggested here. Hope the garage is big enough.

Brad

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Oh, and one other thing. MSRP for a 2013 or 2014 Burgman 650 is $10,999. But, I picked mine up at a very friendly, easy to get along with dealer in Oklahoma City for $8,499. Add $60 for doc fee, and ride away. Shawn Bostwick at Oklahoma Honda-Suzuki is the guy to call.

That would probably save enough from an FJR purchase to take a cruise with your wife. Hmmm, two birds with one stone, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I am sooooo grateful for all the help I'm getting here. You guys are great!

I forgot to mention that Tri-City also had an R1150RT with 34K on the clock for $6400.

I rode to Fort Morgan for a doctor's appointment today and my NT was sure comfortable. I also dropped it while leaving a friend's house. First time in over a year. Nothing dinged at all.

After I got off this forum last night I spent some time on the two FJR forums. I hadn't realized until then that the 2013 cruise control was maxxed-out at 80mph. Or maybe 75. That wouldn't make a difference very often, but would have been inconvenient across southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, and west Texas on the Epic Ride.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If I am not mistaken the tires were PR4's but then I could be wrong. I can find out if you like.
Chuck, I'm thinking they were PR4s, too. It doesn't really make a lot of difference. As long as they're not the OEM tires.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
Chuck, I'm thinking they were PR4s, too. It doesn't really make a lot of difference. As long as they're not the OEM tires.
Just a quick hijack. What are the OEM tires on a 2011 NT?
Thanks, Clint

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Based on my experience with a two year old BEEMER R1200RT while I was waiting for the NT to show up and it had similar miles on it the FINAL DRIVE WAS about to FALL OUT of it!! When you start thinking Bring More Wampum remember Jim Owen in the middle of Nevada about 6 years ago!!!

Eldon

Bike
Right, the tires feel ok at this time, but I imagine when the time comes they will become PR-'s, Hopefully they will do better than the junk that was OEM on NT!

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
From the Iron Butt Rally 2007
The Tarnished Blue and White Roundel
A disproportionate number of the DNFs fall on the shoulders of BMW. BMW failed several riders, demonstrating that they are no longer capable of building motorcycles that can run 11,000 miles in 11 days without a significant fraction experiencing a catastrophic drivetrain failure of some sort. BMW of North America has requested contact information for the riders who experienced failures. The riders BMW should be more concerned about are the thousands of unsuspecting souls who will breakdown in the future because the company has lost its previous ability to either design durable drivetrain components or (more likely) adequately monitor production and assembly quality. It's way, way past time for BMW to fix its drivetrain reliability problems. A good start might be to acknowledge that there is a problem.
From elsewhere...
Jim is a special rider for sure. Perfers to ride alone. He'll be back next year, however he will be on a FJR next time.
Maybe not a BMW then...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
In the '13 Iron Butt Rally, FJRs finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 11th. R1200GS's were 4th and 7th.

Even if I get one, I won't run the Iron Butt Rally.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Well, thanks, John, but my daily average on the Epic Ride was only about 300 mi/day. The IBR guys ride 11-12,000 miles in 11 days. I doubt my ability to ride 11 1K days back-to-back.

On the Three Flags Classic, I did 500+mile days for 6 out of 8 days and I could keep that pace up for a long time, but wouldn't want to.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Ah, but you are a charming arrogant old gas bag. That makes all the difference.

Me? I have all the charm of a brick through a plate glass window.

Bike
BUTT what is Phill doing here when he should be on flight to Georgia??

Bike
BUTT Phil, you should be good for another 175,000 mile with that many smiles with a new bike, be big dance or a little short rally or anything inbetween and do so with ease.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm not that serious yet. I don't think. The '13 over in Loveland sounds pretty good. But so do some of those low-dollar '14s.

However, my NT's still running good and works well for me. I'm in no great rush.

Top Bottom