I'm Only Looking...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm not that serious yet. I don't think. The '13 over in Loveland sounds pretty good. But so do some of those low-dollar '14s.

However, my NT's still running good and works well for me. I'm in no great rush.

We're still adjusting to retirement and I probably will wait till I've figured my '14 tax situation out.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Morning Phil,

Seriously I imagine there will be new 14's A models available for awhile, although you may have to travel / fly and ride to aquire one of them.1 Will the bottom fall out of the 15 pricing at the end of this year?? I have no idea , of course that wouldn't gain you a silver one , but a black one would be there. From reading a bit on fjr forum I discovered tha the battery access on some of the earlier 13's was a bit difficult and then latter Yamaha made a new access panel, seems like it was a little over a hunderd dollars. John C has posted a good article about all that on the FJR forum for the most part the only negative on a 13 is tha you are looking at paying so close to what a 14 is available for and not getting any warranty, not saying that you will need it! The cruise speed setting I don't think would be a major issue, it you are running at 80 probably would want the throttle under your hand control anyway, even out across NV , UT WY etc .
:smile: butt I realy think you should have one of the faster ruby red ones!!

I picked my NT up from shop last night completely fully serviced and after becoming slightly used to FJR itsure felt funny! Today I am heading out soon to my Tech's place to do some mild de-farkleing.

Eldon

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I plan to hang on to my ST-700 (NT) for touring and long distance (200mi) club rides. For a daily rider around town and to the VA (100mi round trip), I think that there is a Ninja 300 in the picture. I would love an FJ but it would be a redundant bike.

Bike
Alex,
I very well may hang on to mine as wellI have everything off that is not to involved, THe Heli Risor, heated grips , Throttle meister, voltage indicator mirror extenders , Honda wind deflector, and Hepko Becker tank guard and the Russell are all in place and will stay on it. We pulled the Stebil horn, Denali lights, Fuze block, and the extended Kurryakin hi way peg system and all associated wire harneses. Same tech that put it all togather did the take off so I is nice , neat and clean. Honda dealer changed Coolant, brake fluids oil in differential and engine and oil filter , and air filter , as well as new Spark plugs. she is ready for a extended run to any place in N America and back. PR 3's have not more than 6,000 maybe 6500 at the most. a couple maybe 3 00 over the 50,000 mark. I think the NT will be just like the PC800's and will be around running great forever.

I just wanted a bit more engine and the FJR had all the bells and whistles on it, well almost, smile:and my bride of 54 + years said I could have it rather than see me spend near too $4,000 for a 98 ST11000 with ABS & Trac control and upgraded elec windshield etc on it with 55,000 on clock.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I think I have the best of all worlds. I have my new FJR, I was able to keep my Wee and DR650's, but best of all after selling my NT700 to Guitarman I still have visitation rights when I want. I can ride it anytime and Guitarman gets to ride one of my bikes for a bit of a change. Works for me.

Guitarman

And I might get to ride a new FJR every once in a while. Or maybe a KLR. I too am lucky.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I must be weird. I guess I am a one bike person.

I have ridden enough demo models that I know what I like and don't like. I've been offered to switch bikes with people and I politely decline.

A big part of my decision not to get another bike is that I like mine. It fits me. Could it be better? Yes. And it will be made better, mainly cause I like to tinker with it.

I do have to add that the Guzzi model I have is probably one of the most flexible of all bikes, second maybe to the beemer airheads. Excellent 'bones'. There are parts available (many of them factory parts) to change it from a bare naked cafe bike to an adventure bike to a race bike to a cruiser to a sport touring to a full touring. All with very few changes. Engine options from 60hp to 110hp (more if you want an engine expert to do it). I can get wire wheels or keep the mags. Ohlins inverted forks and fully adjustable rear suspension, etc, etc. Luggage from every manufacturer. Fairings from bikini to full touring. I can even convert it to a 2speed automatic transmission if I so wanted. All of this without needing any machine work, just swap the parts.

Am I tempted by the new stuff? Yes. But then I think about plunking down $10-$20k and I rethink it. For $1k I can put in a bigger engine. Or upgrade the suspension. Or get a bigger alternator :) . Or..... :) :)

Yep, I am weird. :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, it does. Like at Yellowstone this summer. We were stopped at one of the 'sideshows' and this guy almost runs up to me. "Is the Guzzi yours?" (2 motorcycles in the parking lot, and my brother wears a beemer jacket while I wear std riding gear). He was an Aussie on a tour bus and said he almost knocked his wife over trying to look at the bike. He has two of them at home and was ecstatic to see one in the US. Small world sometimes.

Of course there are more Guzzi's in the US than there are NT's :)

When I had the NT most people I ran into thought it was an ST. I would tell them I left it out in the rain and it shrunk :D

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am with you. I test rode one and the dealer put the rear shock on something like "medium" and the thing rode very rough...the throttle mapping at slow speeds was like an on-off switch and that was irritating. The bike was mostly smooth but had two vibration zones, which I could have lived with, had everything else been better. But when you look at the price, he protection, the bag size, the riding position, the rough ride... this bike is out of the picture. It probably speaks to someone younger who likes the power to weight ratio, and is way more into sport than sport touring....it cant hold a candle to the FJR if you are into sport TOURING. Phil, ride the FJR and see what you think. Too much bike for me but if the bike looses 300-400 ccs and 75-100 lbs, and $2500, it would be tough to turn it down, in Red, of course. (My Connie isn't worried....yet)
I briefly considered the 800GT, but:

1. Total cost of bike and parts
2. Poor dealer network
3. No shaft
4. I am too old for the RodneyRacer riding position.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Phil, http://www.grandprixmotorsports.com/ Grandprix in Littleton has two, I say 2 2014 FJR1300A models on their floor. One is a Demo and the other brand new. Forget putting a tire and an oil change on your bike and go pick up one of those FJRs. Also Vickery in Denver has a 2014 FJR1300ES model on the floor last week.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Boy you FJR guys are sure persistent. Believe it or not some of us really like our NT's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bob, not having a bike payment is a big deal. I can do major repairs of the NT (when and if it needs them) for 3 or 4 payments on an FJR.

Bike
Honda NT700V
I'm beginning to think how dumb I must be to still own a NT...

Chris
Nah, yer a genius. It's paid for, it cost less to buy, gets better fuel mileage, gets better tire mileage, is lighter (though it's still a pig), has an actual throttle cable and bespeaks a certain maturity. ;)

Bike
Well if the NT continues in the footsteps of the PC 800's which I thinkit will having one in very good shape with 50,000 on itmay be like money in the bank.Granted I paid too much for mine, Dam near as much as I paid for the FJR and I won't give it away, I will keep it a as a back up with some of its bells and whistles moved to the FJR ,but still fully capable of going any place it should need to. The FJR has a number of features as a stock bike that one had to pay dearly to add to the NT! I can't speak for fuel milage comparison at this time. AS for tires the same , BUT I know I can set FJR up for 30, 000 miles as far as the rear tire is concerned that can't be done on the NT, It also has enough engine that IF I need to get out of trouble I can and it won't matter that I am just solo , or with a passenger and pulling a trailer should I choose to. I ran with a ST 1300 from Spearfish back to Salt Lake and we didn't waste a lot of time At fuel stops the ST was only taking 2 -3 tenths more gas that I was, and it had all that wonderful power available to utilize where I had to wait for passing until I could see forever on the NT . I looked at the ST 1300 very hard, inspite of the fact that it is a hundred pounds heavier than the FJR but the FJR is modern and not beating the bushes in the dark ages as mother Honda is.Time will tell how it all works out, but I am looking forward to a lot of long miles once the FJR gets all of its farkling done.

Eldon

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is a piece that I wrote to someone who was asking about why I defected from the ST1300 and the NT700 and the pros and cons of my FJR over my ST. If my 2003 ST1300 was not 12 years old and had 130000 miles and I was a lot younger than 65 I might have keep my ST 1300 longer. But I tend to keep my main ride bikes for about 10 yeas and I wanted something to take me to my mid 70's The FJR is most likely going to be my last Sport touring bike.

............ here is somthing i wrote on the ST-riders Forum/list.

As much as I loved my two ST's that I have owned over the last 22 years. (92 ST1100, 03 ST1300) Honda is going to be hard pressed to get any new Sport Touring ST even close to the Generation III FJR, at a reasonable price point. As I said before The FJR does everything thing the ST does but better with the exception of three items, Stock wind shield, Tip over bars, and Fuel range. Two of which is correctable with the after market and the third is not an issue at my age. Wink After having owned my FJR for almost two months and over 1800 miles now, I wonder why I did not make the switch earlier. The bike has/does every thing that we have been asking Honda to give us in the ST. Less weight, more power, and up grades in the electronics. Obviously Yamaha has been listing to Honda ST owners. Sadly, still no sixth gear. grin I would not hold your breath too long waiting for Honda, you might just turn blue and pass out.

Shaft maint is a one time deal. Very easy on the FJR a lot more complicated on the ST1300, especially having to remove the swing arm. So I did it up front instead of later when I needed to.

I was looking for less weight, more stability, a newer up dated bike, and the red color, all with out giving up the performance of the ST. The FJR met those criteria. Major + for the FJR over the ST1300 is weight, stability, ease of maint. (although I have not done a valve check yet) and on the Gen III's the cruise control, heated grips,gear indicator, traction control. Throttle response is wonderful, no jerky on/off from the fuel injection. Nice STuff is the sport/touring mode selection. STOCK seat is better for my *** then the STOCK ST seat. Major negs for the FJR: wind shield sucks, but fixed with an after market shield. Down side on the FJR is seating position is more sport. More forward lean and pegs a bit higher. Fixed with risers and, lower pegs (farkel to come). The bike is different than the ST but not in a negative way. Service manual is laid out and written a bit different then Honda. Kind of like a Phillips X-Ray service manual vs. GE X-Ray service manual. A bit of a learning curve in all aspects but a fun curve. Don't like the OEM tires on the FJR. will replace with PR4GT when these wear out.I am being a bit conservative in the twisties until then. But then I am old anyway. Hope I answered your questions, If not let me know. Come on over some time and take a closer look at it.

Chuck H, with no more Honda's in the garage after 33 years of Honda motorcycles.

Bike
Chris,

I can't agree with you totally. The NT has / is doing a good job for you. I will say this, I attended two LD functions , both in Seattle area though while still on my GL1800. On departing with a FJR rider on both occasions and trying to stay with him dicing traffic I was initially impressed with how powerful and nimble the FJR was in comparison with the Wing and that was one of the early fjr's. I do feel that with the traffc you deal with I would be more comfortable with the FJR mostly because fi and when you need some serious power to get out of , or avoid trouble it is right there under your right hand.

Eldon

Bob

Here is a piece that I wrote to someone who was asking about why I defected from the ST1300 and the NT700 and the pros and cons of my FJR over my ST. If my 2003 ST1300 was not 12 years old and had 130000 miles and I was a lot younger than 65 I might have keep my ST 1300 longer. But I tend to keep my main ride bikes for about 10 yeas and I wanted something to take me to my mid 70's The FJR is most likely going to be my last Sport touring bike.

............ here is somthing i wrote on the ST-riders Forum/list.

As much as I loved my two ST's that I have owned over the last 22 years. (92 ST1100, 03 ST1300) Honda is going to be hard pressed to get any new Sport Touring ST even close to the Generation III FJR, at a reasonable price point. As I said before The FJR does everything thing the ST does but better with the exception of three items, Stock wind shield, Tip over bars, and Fuel range. Two of which is correctable with the after market and the third is not an issue at my age. Wink After having owned my FJR for almost two months and over 1800 miles now, I wonder why I did not make the switch earlier. The bike has/does every thing that we have been asking Honda to give us in the ST. Less weight, more power, and up grades in the electronics. Obviously Yamaha has been listing to Honda ST owners. Sadly, still no sixth gear. grin I would not hold your breath too long waiting for Honda, you might just turn blue and pass out.

Shaft maint is a one time deal. Very easy on the FJR a lot more complicated on the ST1300, especially having to remove the swing arm. So I did it up front instead of later when I needed to.

I was looking for less weight, more stability, a newer up dated bike, and the red color, all with out giving up the performance of the ST. The FJR met those criteria. Major + for the FJR over the ST1300 is weight, stability, ease of maint. (although I have not done a valve check yet) and on the Gen III's the cruise control, heated grips,gear indicator, traction control. Throttle response is wonderful, no jerky on/off from the fuel injection. Nice STuff is the sport/touring mode selection. STOCK seat is better for my *** then the STOCK ST seat. Major negs for the FJR: wind shield sucks, but fixed with an after market shield. Down side on the FJR is seating position is more sport. More forward lean and pegs a bit higher. Fixed with risers and, lower pegs (farkel to come). The bike is different than the ST but not in a negative way. Service manual is laid out and written a bit different then Honda. Kind of like a Phillips X-Ray service manual vs. GE X-Ray service manual. A bit of a learning curve in all aspects but a fun curve. Don't like the OEM tires on the FJR. will replace with PR4GT when these wear out.I am being a bit conservative in the twisties until then. But then I am old anyway. Hope I answered your questions, If not let me know. Come on over some time and take a closer look at it.

Chuck H, with no more Honda's in the garage after 33 years of Honda motorcycles.
Chuck. Which screen did you put on the FJR?

Top Bottom