Winter time killer Tiger 800

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
....deep satisfaction. That says it in a nutshell, Phil! Exactly how I feel about Traveller.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If Dr Fraser rates the KLR over the hi-dollar BMWs for 'round the world trips, that says a lot!

Many years ago, I had two friends ride their tired Gold Wing GL1200 from Indiana to Alaska, and back. It survived the trip without any problems but just in case, they brought the title with them so it could be sold on the spot!

Bike
Bonneville T120
Ummm...Ride???

They get paid to like it. Seriously. One of the motorcycle magazines had one of their editors review a bike and he gave an honest opinion, that wasn't too flattering. He was fired.
I've seen many reviews that while flattering are less than enthusiastic. That's all you need to see. I've written many letters of recommendations for students that are pretty good on the face of it, but if you're paying attention there are plenty of warning signs embedded in it.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
There is a similar discussion on the Guzzi forum with a guy who wants a bike to trvel tgroughout south america. Basically, if a dirt road is more than 50% of the riding, then get a lighter bike. 650 max, better if 500 or less.

Two videos showing Enfields going through India and into the himalayas were really pretty good, including one solo rider who loved his 350 Enfield (he had it loaded with at least 100lb of stuff).

On dirt roads every now and then just about any road bike will work.

Bike
Honda NT700V
Ya need a fleet. No bike is good for everything. While you can do most things on most bikes, you won't be happy doing some of them. For example, a KLR is a highly regarded ADV bike, but its forte is not high speed interstate cruising. A BMW GS is good on the interstate, but a pig in the dirt. An NT is a good commuter and tourer, but it's not great in the twisties, only adequate. So you need to figure out what you want for your pavement riding, what you want for your ADV riding and what you want for your dirt riding. Life requires a 3 bike minimum.:tongue:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I can get by with one :)

Will do a dirt road. Good in twisties and good at high speed highway.

Don't ride in real dirt.

Bike
Honda NT700V
I can get by with one :)

Will do a dirt road. Good in twisties and good at high speed highway.

Don't ride in real dirt.
Well, sure. As I said, you can do most things with most bikes, but you won't be happy doing some of them. Even the porcine NT will do a dirt road. Heck, even a scooter will do dirt road. Back in the day, John Penton would ride his BMW from Ohio to Florida, put knobbies on it, ride (and usually win) an enduro, then ride it back home. What'sizname from Ontario rode his old Eldorado over to Labrador and did the TransLab on it. Some nut did the TransLab on his scooter. Yer a geezer, so you appreciate that stuff. But this is the modern age, with more focussed equipment. Jim needs a Tiger. I'm trying to help him out here. You shouldn't discourage him just cuz you can get by with a no-generatin' Italian garden implement! We need to stick with our brothers, here!

(j/k Charlie):D

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
well, sure. As i said, you can do most things with most bikes, but you won't be happy doing some of them. Even the porcine nt will do a dirt road. Heck, even a scooter will do dirt road. Back in the day, john penton would ride his bmw from ohio to florida, put knobbies on it, ride (and usually win) an enduro, then ride it back home. What'sizname from ontario rode his old eldorado over to labrador and did the translab on it. Some nut did the translab on his scooter. Yer a geezer, so you appreciate that stuff. But this is the modern age, with more focussed equipment. Jim needs a tiger. I'm trying to help him out here. You shouldn't discourage him just cuz you can get by with a no-generatin' italian garden implement! We need to stick with our brothers, here!

(j/k charlie):d
roflmao!!!!

You forgot Bob doing the IBA rally on his scooter too!

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well, sure. As I said, you can do most things with most bikes, but you won't be happy doing some of them. Even the porcine NT will do a dirt road. Heck, even a scooter will do dirt road. Back in the day, John Penton would ride his BMW from Ohio to Florida, put knobbies on it, ride (and usually win) an enduro, then ride it back home. What'sizname from Ontario rode his old Eldorado over to Labrador and did the TransLab on it. Some nut did the TransLab on his scooter. Yer a geezer, so you appreciate that stuff. But this is the modern age, with more focussed equipment. Jim needs a Tiger. I'm trying to help him out here. You shouldn't discourage him just cuz you can get by with a no-generatin' Italian garden implement! We need to stick with our brothers, here!
Great post. Humor and substance both built in strategically. Love it!

Sure you can ride your dirt bike on the pavement and your Gold Wing on a gravel road and your KLR on the interstate. Neither the KLR or the rider are happy at 75-80 mph. But most things are purpose built these days. We used to just cut the grass. Now we have a riding lawn mower, trimmer, edger, de-thatcher, bagger, and fertilizer spreader. I can remember when all my tools fit in one box that I could carry. Now they don't even fit in my enclosed trailer which I tow. Seems like everyone has to have the latest, greatest, lightest, fastest, and most forgiving everything these days whether it is a motorcycle or electric tooth brush. You can eat your peas with your knife if you want to which equates to going to California on a 50cc scooter. We just don't do that any more.
And, yes, I'm a grandpa geezer.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If you are riding your adventure touring bike on the expressway you are missing the point and the KLR650 can ride all day at 75 if that's what you want.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
But that is where you find the majority of dual sport bikes. Every Beemer GS should come with a Starbuck's sticker :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Agreed but the original comments regarding the KLR were regarding if you really wanted an off road worthy adventure bike the KLR would be a better choice. If your idea for adventuring touring is to ride primarily on paved roads then sure there are more road worthy choices.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Find the bike you like, with the options/configuration you like and in the price range that's acceptable and ride it... dirt or paved, who cares, just have fun. Some will need a different bike for a different set of riding requirements so there you go... If someone wants to take a goldwing off road or a GS on paved roads only, good for them, they are probably still riding more than I am so I'm nothing but jealous.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
they are probably still riding more than I am so I'm nothing but jealous.
You should try living up here. I'm more than jealouser than you.
But very few people in ConUS are having good weather this week.
My friends in Fairbanks AK are having better weather than I am. But that's weather.
With weather you get what you get; complaining is optional.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, we've gotten far too focused on having the exact tool for the exact job. Eons ago, guys rode Honda 305 Scramblers across the country and had loads of fun. No one told them they needed a 900 pound barge to ride from Santa Monica to Hoboken.

Happy New Year!

Top Bottom