Admore Lighting HiViz Install

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I've recently added then changed my Admore Lighting Topbox LEDs to make the rear more visible due to a number of cretins in white vans wanting to get up close and personal. Hopefully they'll see me a little better.

The Topbox has been on my bike since new and has done in excess of 54,000 miles. The marks you can see on it have been polished out so it nearly looks like new.

Original installation on the white Honda original backing strip. Sidelight LEDs lit:

Donor used, Hi Viz Vest:

HiViz strips cut to size and shape:

LEDs glued to the strips:

Installed in the Topbox. I put some HiViz strips behind the centre section as well:

Flash picture of above wow they're reflective:

Installed on the bike, sidelight LED's lit, day view:

Installed on the bike, sidelight LEDs lit, night view:

The brake lights aren't activated in any of the images.

Notes:

the bulbs in the tail-light are the standard incandescent bulbs, it's just the Topbox that has LEDs.

The additional LED brake lights on the Topbox are about double the brightness of the LED sidelights on the Topbox. They are noticeably brighter than I expected. You can also just see them in your mirrors so know if they're working or not.

The Hi Viz material only makes a slight difference to the brightness during the day. The difference is noticeable to the eye. It's unbelievably bright when truck and van headlights hit it! Car headlights are too low to reflect off them.

I have a SMIDSY flasher on the normal incandescent brake lights. I have wired up the LED brake lights so they don't flash (the SMIDSY kit I have is for incandescent bulbs not LEDs).

The Admore kit is expensive for what it is (though it does come with everything you need, including drill bit, in the box) but, if it works well over a prolonged period then I will be satisfied.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I will have to remember that one. I just bought an LED light strip from Superbright and put that in my JC Whitney trunk. I did leave the reflective stip that was in the trunk to start with since it did work ok. Just not as well as the 'good stuff' you got from the vest. (and yes, I am a cheap sob).

And, no, the battery charger is not needed to power all those LED's :)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Installed AdMore lighting on my Givi V46 Top Box on my FJR

Running Lights, Turn Signal Lights,and Brake Lights, These are LEDs

Install was relatively easy following ADmore's instructions. Just needed to take ones time when placing the LEDs under the reflectors.

Tapped off the tail light wiring harness that runs along the left side of the bike. Using the SERVICE Manual wiring diagram to determine which wire colors are what, I used the supplied Positaps. Very nice and neat install and can undo in about ten min if ever required. Did not have to cut any wires in the bike harness. Then I uses Gorilla Tape to secure the wires inside the top box.

As a side note: My ADmore lighting kit was missing the positaps. I E-mailed Admore about this. They answered the Email with in a few hours and had the missing parts in the mail with in a day or two. Very good company to work with. I will be purchasing a lighting kit for my Wee STrom Givi E-460 Box later this spring.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
I think I prefer the Givi V46 Topbox to the Honda (Givi) one.

I also used the Positaps and 3M Scotch Gaffer Tape and it was really quick and easy. Indicators are not hooked up as red indicators are illegal in Europe. (In the UK flashing red on a vehicle denotes the Bomb Squad)

Note I made the connection through the bottom of the case not the side due to what I carry in the case potentially rubbing on the interior connector and wires.

Last edited:

tawilke46

I installed the Admore lighting to the Honda topcase on my NT. Don't know what your experience was but I had a difficult time getting the right fit on the reinstallation of the lenses. Wish I had used 3M reflective SOLAS tape to glue the LED strips on.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchliteNA/Scotchlite/Products/~/3150A-SOLAS-Grade-Pressure-Sensitive-Adhesive-Film?N=4621+3293827308&rt=rud
What a difference on reflectivity! Just may take the LED strips out and do that, and also do the center reflector lens at the same time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
I used a little double sided tape to stick the reflective strips to the Topbox. The reflective strips a thinner and more malleable than the original white strips.

With car headlights there is little difference in the reflectivity of the lens. It's only when the headlights are mounted higher, as in a truck or large van, do they start to reflect. As to luminosity, the reflective strips do make the lights slightly brighter but not by a great deal.

Unless you've got time on your hands, cabin fever or just want to play, you're as well off leaving them alone and doing a different "farkle".

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
JQL, I have a question maybe you can answer. I am looking at a tank cover and tank bag for my new FJR. I had a Bagster set up on my ST1300. In my research I see a company from France call Top Sellerie that also makes the same type of covers and tank bags. They are about 100 bucks cheaper then Bagster. How is there reputation and quality of product. Both companies are in France.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, I don't know about Top Sellerie's bags, but Jim Moore up in Whitney, Nebraska, has one of their saddles and it was a very nice piece of work and he's very satisfied with it.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Chuck,

I've PM'd you a longer reply but the consensus on the French FJR Forum is don't buy the Top Sellerie tank cover as the fit isn't very good. They all seem to prefer the Bagster one for both it's looks and fit.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck,

I've PM'd you a longer reply but the consensus on the French FJR Forum is don't buy the Top Sellerie tank cover as the fit isn't very good. They all seem to prefer the Bagster one for both it's looks and fit.

Thank you John. I will spend the extra money and get a Bagster. The one I had on my ST1300 is 13 years old and still looks good. One broken clip that can be repaired. I guess it is true. One gets what they pay for.

Top Bottom