NT WV Gathering, May 7-10, 2015.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A group of us, 7 NTs for now and growing, will meet in/near Davis, WV in early-May. If you're looking it up, there are two towns called Davis in WV so you'll want the one near Blackwater Falls State Park. This location is very near the borders of MD and VA so that gives you an idea of its proximity. There are a few state-run and privately-run campgrounds in/around Davis plus two hotels in town. Several of us are staying at the Alpine Lodge & Sawmill Restaurant and there is also the Bright Morning Inn, plus a couple of B & Bs in Davis. There are also other hotels, 5-20 miles, from Davis. :smile:

RSVP here

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Re: NT gathering in eastern WV, May 7-10, 2015.

Of course I gave wrong information. Tucker county.

Last edited:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V

Looking forward to seeing you guys again. Timing for this was perfect for me.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT

rsvp added,to the 1st post.

Bike

I can not make May I don't think. I plan on a June ride down to WV. I think open no formal organization make rides fantastic. Last year at Snowshoe, there was a Porsche group from all over the USA, must of been 35 or so. They pick a location and show up for riding and fun: no structure just 911 air cooled (mostly) gathering. My son and I spend a few morning talking about roads and the cars. Of course they tagged us at the BMW guys (my NT, Sons Y Super).

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
I just RSVP'd, alas, a NT meetup I can make on the East coast! I can make the 7th-9th but will have to head back Saturday afternoon in time for Mother's day on Sunday for my originating female parental unit and spousal-parental unit for motherly activities.

Presumably the Alpine Inn mentioned the same as the Alpine Lodge & Sawmill Restaurant as Google Maps only shows one lodge named "Alpine". There are also 3 other lodging locations showing up: Bright Morning Inn, Doc's Guest house and Meyer House Bed & Breakfast for any others interested.

Addendum: May have to visit the Blackwater Falls Brewing co., next door one evening after riding, apparently in walking distance a block or so away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, the Alpine Lodge & Sawmill Restaurant is the correct and full name. Sorry if I pitched you a minor curve. The other at which one of our group ("WVRider") has experience and recommends is the Bright Morning Inn. I'd guess that most people will head home on Sunday morning so you'll only be missing one dinner gathering.

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Thanks, I booked at the Alpine Lodge & Sawmill. Might still stay an extra night, but we'll see if I can negotiate a mid-day arrival at home on Sunday. NT meetups on the east coast don't seem to be that frequent from what I can tell. The WV mountains are great for riding too.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm still thinking about coming, but don't know yet and won't until it's a lot closer to time to go. Should I book a room or does someone want to share with me? If I did make a reservation, could I cancel without discombobulating anyone else?

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I just RSVP'd, alas, a NT meetup I can make on the East coast! I can make the 7th-9th but will have to head back Saturday afternoon in time for Mother's day on Sunday for my originating female parental unit and spousal-parental unit for motherly activities.

Presumably the Alpine Inn mentioned the same as the Alpine Lodge & Sawmill Restaurant as Google Maps only shows one lodge named "Alpine". There are also 3 other lodging locations showing up: Bright Morning Inn, Doc's Guest house and Meyer House Bed & Breakfast for any others interested.

Addendum: May have to visit the Blackwater Falls Brewing co., next door one evening after riding, apparently in walking distance a block or so away.
Blackwater Brewing is right next door to the Alpine Lodge however Mountain State Brewing Co. is the best and is located in Thomas. Nice thing is there brew is sold on tap about three blocks from Lodge at Hellbender Burrito. Of course we can always get a growler of beer and bring is back to camp... Also, if you are into specialty beer the grocery store in town has an awesome selection.

Last edited:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Campers, campers... If there are others interested in camping on this gathering there are at least 4 of us who will be staying at a private campground about 1/4 mile away from the Lodge. The location has a little field I use often when our mountain bike group goes up there so we can all get in the same area. Let me know so I can contact the owner. They are not online anywhere, I just know the owner and can reserve enough sites to cover it. This campground is close to town so isn't like out in the wilderness. Would suggest bringing ear plugs because of some big trucks on the highway and also the coyotes can get pretty noisy at night. If you want to get closer to other campers you may be able to get a site in the Blackwater Falls State Park campground which is about a mile from the private campground.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I know that part of the country quite well and have a few awesome loop rides we can choose from to ride on Friday and Saturday. Some great points of interest along the routes also. If anyone coming to the gathering wants to hit some scenic, fun routes on the way to or from Davis, WV shoot me a message and I can give you some suggestions to enjoy our scenic state.

Bike
I never found a bad riding road in WV, even following my son (Yamaha Super Tenere) the bad road to Spruce Knob was a treat in your riding skills, I would not recommend that route. I hope that WV keeps getting more motorcycle friendly, there are so many great rides. Just remember if you have a radar detector Virginia is not friendly if you get caught using one, lots of good roads take you there.
If your a history buff, you could really get a lot of enjoyment taking in the Civil War sites. And take time to check out the radio telescope at Green Banks.
If you don't like WV you don't like riding: make the 'Tail' just a average road.
GPS 39.128290, -79.471673 for Davis

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Guys, I've decided not to come to WV this year. I'm going to be doing the Team Lyle Strange Insanity Days instead. It's the weekend before in Alamo, NV, and is a great opportunity for me to finally get a BBG (1500 miles in 24 hours). I'll try to make WV one of these days.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I never found a bad riding road in WV, even following my son (Yamaha Super Tenere) the bad road to Spruce Knob was a treat in your riding skills, I would not recommend that route.
Not sure when you went up Spruce Knob however we will be going up it. It's all blacktop to the top now. It's only about a lane and a half but smooth all the way. They did that a couple years ago. One of our loops will do an up and back off Rt.33 which is the blacktop road. But have lots of good spots to see in the loops I have planned.

Bike
Oh we took the good nicely paved road down, but come in the west I think which are kind of stone gravel. The paved road is great, but if you on the older rock gravel, a NT is not the bike with road tires. I live on a gravel road, so I do a lot of gravel riding, and just a soon avoid it as much a possible.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Cass Railroad is near Snowshoe, which is south of Davis

Top Bottom