Hack on an NT

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanx, guys. I'm just thinking ahead to the day when I don't trust myself to be able to ride on two wheels. Hopefully, that's a ways off.

Can Am Spyders seem cool - but expensive. Trikes don't do anything for me. But a hack is kewl - and SWMBO would love it.

Chris, you live in what appears to be the center of sidecardom in the US. I may someday check out one of those companies and investigate putting a hack on my paid for and well farkled NT.

Bike
2011 NT
Reading the owners manual the other day and it said no hacks on the NT. Where there is a will there is a way.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Almost all bikes owners manuals say no sidecars...or any non OEM accessories or modification for that matter.

Doug,

Call Texas Sidecars, they are a really good shop with some knowledgeable folks. Plus they are in your neck of the woods....

Bike
2015 R3, 2009 DN-01
WHY? And ruin the beautiful lines of the bike! I guess it's just human nature to want to change.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
WHY? . . . I guess it's just human nature to want to change.
Nope - in fact I don't want to change at all. I would love to stay young and nubile and strong (as I am now :p), but age creeps up on us.

As I said above
Thanx, guys. I'm just thinking ahead to the day when I don't trust myself to be able to ride on two wheels. Hopefully, that's a ways off.

Can Am Spyders seem cool - but expensive. Trikes don't do anything for me. But a hack is kewl - and SWMBO would love it. . . . someday check out one of those companies and investigate putting a hack on my paid for and well farkled NT.
By the way - I too think the NT is a very nice looking bike. Plus, mine is paid for and farkled just the way I want it. (Well, almost perfect - there's always something we just have to add.)

elizilla

I would have seriously considered hacking an NT if I still had one. It seems like it would be a good choice. A comfortable bike, porky enough to be unflappable, carries weight well. A number of people have said the NT is a modern K75, and the K75 tug worked well in that role. That particular K75 was lowered, beat-up, and in need of unobtanium parts, but the NT is new enough and non-beemerish enough that it has none of those problems.

An NT is probably a more sensible choice to hack, than the Super10 is.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Doug. I would speculate that Hacking the NT is definatly possible , I don't think a large heavy car would be my choice, If I were going to go that direction I would go as light as possible simply because of the available power of the NT and chabging the gear ratio is not a option as it would be with a chain or belt drive, I cant say for the K75 , bit the earlier BMW's had a srt of side car gears available, I an speaking of the 51 to 54 and the 55 - ?? with the earls front suspension. Post earls I do not know about.

I too think about a car attachment when the time comes, It in my case will most likely be done to my 01 HD Ultra Classic, after it gets a engine up-grade to a 96 Ci engine and a 6 speed transmission with Reverse.

I read a article someplace about 2 years ago regarding a English company that had developed a sidcar unit for the NT, vut I don't remember who it was, perhaps a search of all the NT archives from 2012 will bring it to light.

Regards,

Eldon

Bike
Honda NT700V
Well, as posted above, Watsonian offers a sidecar for the NT, but their site shows pictures only of a left side mount. Dunno whether they make a mount for the right.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, no gearing changes, cause there aren't any available. Is the stock setup ok? Probably. You aren't going to have a hotrod, but, you might buy a spare clutch if you live where intersections are on hills ;)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Almost all bikes owners manuals say no sidecars...or any non OEM accessories or modification for that matter.

Doug,

Call Texas Sidecars, they are a really good shop with some knowledgeable folks. Plus they are in your neck of the woods....
Yes great folks. I rode out to their shop some years ago to discuss hacking a 1986 Honda Shadow 1100 C . Never did do it but there knowledge, experience and friendliness were impressive.

Last edited:
For those interested the Watsonian setup with bolt on subframe is $7300 plus freight. There are cheaper sidecars but one would have to get a subframe made or make it yourself.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Can the Watsonian be attached to either side of the bike?

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil, I don't see why not, although it might require some creative thinking from outside the box, I don't know just a thought from the top of my head.

As to earlier questions about power etc The 1955-60 BMW R-50 500 CC BMW did a fine job with a car attached and it was only 28 Horse power and four speed transmission. Granted it was not a hot rod:D

Eldon

Last edited:
OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
For those interested the Watsonian setup with bolt on subframe is $7300 plus freight. There are cheaper sidecars but one would have to get a subframe made or make it yourself.
Thanx for that. Its a bit expensive, but it is a gorgeous looking hack.

As the years pass, the idea of a sidecar on my NT looks better and better. I showed a picture of the NT and hack to my wife and she said she'd love to ride in it.

Top Bottom