looks like i have too much stuff

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hey Clay, how about a pic of your bike packed? All this talk and in my mind it looks like you have a VW Beetle on the back seat lol.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I camped one year at Spearfish with an REI Halfdome2+ and decided that with my crappy knees, it didn't have enough headroom. So I called REI and said that there was nothing wrong with the tent, but it didn't quite work for me. The REI girl said, "We guarantee your satisfaction, not our product. Bring it back and we'll give you full credit." So I bought a Halfdome4 and when I returned the Halfdome2+, the REI guy said, "We've made two customers happy today -- you and the guy who'll buy your old tent at our garage sale."
I might do that. I figured a 2+ would be large enough, but last year at Spearfish, it rained one night. I didn't have quite enough room to move my dry bags into the tent with me. And my knees are only a little younger than Phil's. I need to think about an HD4.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have the previous version of this one
http://www.rei.com/product/829292/kelty-acadia-4-tent

I love the rainfly part that makes the little alcove. I can put stuff out there that is wet/dirty instead of messing up the inside. If I feel the need to be 'neat' then I will put a small 'rug' down so I can wipe my feet before I go in the tent. It is 4" shorter than the REI half dome but a bit cheaper as well. I was lucky and got mine on sale for $80.

And, yes, the extra size is really worth it if it is raining out. Set up the chair inside and read or surf the net with my tablet. Or plenty of room to plan next leg of trip with a map spread out or work on gear. The other good part of a vestibule is you can cook outside while staying somewhat dry. Especially good if you want a cup of coffee or hot choc or soup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have one issue with the HD4: it's mostly see thri mesh, so you can only have privacy if you use the rain fly.

Bike
NT700va
Ride for the cure:

We have a Dick Clampet award for the one with the most stuff piled on bike. Usual winner is the Harley guy as one might have guessed. I will try and attach what is needed on my old PC800 ( yes, Army jump boots make excellent ridding boots)which is what is carried on the NT. One of the best sites for camping gear is River City Beemers. He breaks it down into small, not expensive, functional packing.
Example: collapsible Nalgene Cantene bottle for pee inside tent, max tent size 7x9', Jet Boil stove, Army mess kit, etc.
The group that seems to set the standard in my opinion is our BMW buds - like them or not. I think I will post an after action report on what has happened and if we find a cure for Male-pattern-baldness.

Update: could not figure how to attach picture of my loaded PC800 so will have to send it later

Russ Foster
NT700 2011
VX800 1993

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Beautiful Old English. Had one (Frodo) when I was a kid. Second one (Hannah) came with the wife.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
REI Half Dome 4 tent seems to be no longer available. And it looks like they are clearing out the 2+ also. I guess I'll keep mine.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I noticed that there weren't as many REI branded tents as there used to be. Makes me wonder if they're about to: 1) release a whole bunch of new tents for 2015; or 2) get out of the tent-making business.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Beautiful Old English. Had one (Frodo) when I was a kid. Second one (Hannah) came with the wife.
Thanks. Ours is Maggie, 5yr old in that photo. She is cropped a bit shorter these days. I got tired of 6hrs a week grooming :)

I noticed that there weren't as many REI branded tents as there used to be. Makes me wonder if they're about to: 1) release a whole bunch of new tents for 2015; or 2) get out of the tent-making business.
I noticed the same thhing last time I was in the store, in the clothing section. All the rei brand stuff was on sale.

Top Bottom