Pack light, pack tight

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Words of the wise.

When he mentioned stuff from years past...it was VERY hard for me to leave behind stuff I have used camping (and in the Army) since I was younger. My axe, folding camp saw, mantle style lantern, the tankers stove (white gas, single burner coleman), and some others. Nostalgia is nice, but, not when you are in the boonies.

A rule I use when cleaning out my closet applies just as he mentioned. If you have not used it in a year (or the last two trips), then leave it behind.

The tool tips is a good one too. I do all my maintenance (except for changing tires) with the tools I carry. It has allowed me to slim down considerably, yet, when faced with tearing a front end apart like I did last trip, I know I have all the tools I need with me. And some tools, like the ones I need to change a throttle cable or change the oil, I keep in a special container that is easy to get to.

My goal next trip is to have nothing strapped on the bike, except the tent poles. I miss that pass through area on the NT :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, part of my essentials for camping. Good thick air mattress, a tent I can be comfortable in when it is raining, and a chair to sit in. I may not pack as light or tight as many, but, I also want to be comfortable.

FWIW, after three trips with me my brother is upgrading from his two person tent to a 4 person. The last trip involved a couple mornings with rain, including packing up in the rain. He used my tent to do a lot of his packing since maneuvering in his was a bit complicated.

Others are 'comfortable' with less. I backpacked a few times and got over it quickly. Too much like being in the Army :) That kind of camping is not for me. Heck, most of the time I take the fifth wheel cause the wife is with me :)

PS Most of my tent camping has been here in the West. California, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, NM, AZ. Not too many snakes but small critters, biting gnats and mosquitos. Another phobia from my Army days is no more sleeping without a full enclosure ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom