Denali D2 mount points

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
. . . The higher mounting point allows you to aim them out and down, rather than out and up. You'll get the conspicuity lighting you desire...and if you end up caught out at night, you'll find you can aim them such that they don't blind oncoming traffic.
That's why I mounted mine up top. True - its not quite as pretty, but I like the ability to aim it better.

Some might not like how close they are mounted to the turn signals. Frankly, that doesn't bother me. If I'm riding in the HOV lane, all I care about is the bike catches someone's eyes...and it seems to work well at that. On side streets, I'm not going to count on a set of lights clearing my path. Whether I have a turn signal on, or not, won't stop anyone from turning into me. Hopefully, the lights make them notice me.
Like you, I was hesitant to have my lights so close to the turn signals, but in my real world experience, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Like you, I was hesitant to have my lights so close to the turn signals, but in my real world experience, it doesn't seem to make much difference.
My experience is that drivers ignore my turn signals whether I have my high mounted Denalis ON or OFF.

my lights are mounted like JungleJim's, on the mirror mounts. I added one other thing, they only work with bright lights, will not work with low beam only. the reason is if the running lights are on they are like the bright lights and if I am coming into traffic I can go to low beam and it will turn off the running lights and the high beam.
I wired it to the high beam by using a relay hooked to the high beam and come off the relay to the running lights, the reason is I can hit the low beam switch by its self quicker than hitting low beam and the on/off switch to the running lights.
Hi Sir, can you share which wire is the high bean trigger wire? Where it is located? It's color?

Thanks you very much,
Rick

As Daboo has stated I have my D2 lights mounted on the tip over wings. Chris (Daboo) and I got together last year and did a light comparison and he posted the results. I believe they are under the lighting section. I've actually had my bike tip over with the lights mounted and it did put a couple of very minor nicks in the housing but nothing serious. I think it was a pretty minor tip over, if you were to have a more serious one I would guess all it would do is bend the mounting bracket and put some beauty marks on the housing. Both of which could easily be fixed with some straightening of the bracket and a rattle can of paint. I also made to wedges to match the angle of the wings so that the lights mounting bracket is level but that may be more work then its worth for some.

The D2's come with two light projector lamps, a fog and spot. I use the fog lamp as I'm mainly going for the effect of lighting up the sides of the road and for being noticed by others. I keep my lights point to just below where my low beam hits and have never had anybody flash me or say anything. I think they are plenty low to keep from shining in oncoming cars any more then my headlight. Another thing that is often overlooked but has been discussed here is the proper aiming of the headlight. I made mine a little higher which has made all the difference in lighting up the road ahead of me. I can see my headlight beam hit the back of cars and it hits just below most standard cars back window. Now if I want to light up the road and really see things, I just turn on my high beams and because the D2's have a high/low setting I have them synced to my headlight.
For me I find this the ideal combination of being seen and being able to see.

My latest project that I just finished is installing a set of Rigid Industries' Dually lights on a custom bracket up high like others above the mirrors. I had these originally mounted on the wings until I went for a slide with them and insurance bought me the D2's and I was able to keep the Rigid Industries ones. Had them kicking around for a couple of years before I finally got them mounted. I was able to purchase some amber covers to go over the lenses as I wanted amber lights that high, plus I already have the D2's on the wings. I have these lights pointed down to the area between my bike and the headlight low beam location. I have to say I really like this set up and I've have yet to have anybody flash me. There is no excuse for saying you couldn't see me!

Here are a couple of quick pictures I took to show you how it looks. The little lights you see on front fender are little Bike Viz led light pods bullets. They are only for visibility as they are too small and weak to light up the road. I also have a pair of red ones mounted on the rear under the panniers to give me a red triangle in back of the bike to help people judge my distance better at night. They are super simple to install as they are just a +/- wire. Don't judge the brightness of each light by the picture because of the short distance of where the picture was taken and the slightest up or down change effects how bright the lights look in the picture.

Sorry you are going to have to turn your head sideways. Couldn't figure out how to rotate them here.
20150212_214005.jpg
20150212_214047.jpg
Hi Sir,

Can you show us a picture of the custom brackets? Maybe with the measurements so we can make a pair?

Thanks, Rick

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Neither of the individuals that you replied to above are still active on the forum. There might be others however that can assist you. The last post on this thread is now 5 years old

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Here are a few pics of Denalis mounted under the tip over wings.
If I remember mounting was just a longer allen head screw and maybe a spacer. My memory is not exactly perfect and I don't have the NT any longer. Hope it helps.

Arknt

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Top Bottom