$99 LFX Lithium-Ion Powersports Battery

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
The only Lithium is I use in my laptops. I have standard tenders I use on all my lawnmowers, tractors, rv, and motorcycles. I not going to purchase a battery that needs a different charge, and I don't care about a few pounds on battery. Also some years you can accurately ride in January in Michigan, so a battery that does not like the cold is not a good idea. Sure I been told you turn on your headlights or honk the horn it will help you start. I keep what I know, I still not a fan a drive by wire either. Of course I don't think I ever by another motorcycle, I sure if I purchase a newer car, it may have wire control (which I can not imagine cost of repair).

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If the bike is as reliable as the plane, then it's good. They also have redundant controls, don't think the bikes do.

Much easier to fix a cable than find the fault in an electronic system. Then could you find the replacement part? I would hope the mfg's are using std parts....but we all know how that goes. What happens when your model is no longer made? At least I can still make cables and carbs can be just about anything.

If you are like some and get a new bike every few years then this isn't an issue, just buy it and go ride.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
If the bike is as reliable as the plane, . . .
In the late '60's when I was still riding British bikes, first a '65 BSA Thunderbolt (hey, I didn't name the thing), then a '70 Triumph Bonneville, I discovered that a pop top lid was .032" thick. Perfect for gapping plugs and pretty good for ignition points. As long as nothing fragged itself or burned up and I had air in the tires and a working clutch cable, I could always limp home.

Several bikes and 20 years later, I resurrected a PDO'd GPz750. Always made me a little nervous knowing that if the ignition module died, I was dead in the water without a paddle.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Some sloppiness, here. These are Lithium-Iron, not what are normally referred to as Lithium-Ion. The latter are found in cell phones, laptops, etc., and sometimes at the origination point of fires.

Sorry, but the internet is so full of imprecise wording I just had to comment.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Rich, back in '76, I was on an offshore drilling rig in the Gulf when I got picked up by a Hughes 500 (? 600??) to fly back to Lafayette, LA. We were flying back when a "Battery Overheat" light came on. The pilot turned everything electrical off and we flew back to the platform we'd left. By then the light was out and we landed. He didn't shut down, but got out and topped of our fuel, then we launched again. As we flew I asked him what would have happened if the batter had continued to overheat. He said, "Oh, it would have melted a hole in the bottom of your seat and in the bottom of the bird."

My dad, who flew a Mitsubishi MU-2 at the time, told me that those batteries were the most frequent cause of fire in turbine aircraft. Would that one have been a Lithium-Ion battery?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Rich, back in '76, I was on an offshore drilling rig in the Gulf when I got picked up by a Hughes 500 (? 600??) to fly back to Lafayette, LA. We were flying back when a "Battery Overheat" light came on. The pilot turned everything electrical off and we flew back to the platform we'd left. By then the light was out and we landed. He didn't shut down, but got out and topped of our fuel, then we launched again. As we flew I asked him what would have happened if the batter had continued to overheat. He said, "Oh, it would have melted a hole in the bottom of your seat and in the bottom of the bird."

My dad, who flew a Mitsubishi MU-2 at the time, told me that those batteries were the most frequent cause of fire in turbine aircraft. Would that one have been a Lithium-Ion battery?
Possibly. They have been around in aircraft for quite awhile, as have Nickel-Cadmium. Li-Ion are the ones that are in the Boeing 787. The Lithium Iron is a relatively new technology. Lithium Ion have been known to cause fires in laptops and cell phones.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Possibly. They have been around in aircraft for quite awhile, as have Nickel-Cadmium.
Now that you say the words, I'm remembering that it was probably a Nickel-Cadmium battery. Thanks!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And Ni-Cd batteries can explode, not just catch fire. Almost as 'easily' as LiPo.

FWIW, LiIon and LiPo are really the same type of battery (LiCoO2, Lithium Cobalt), only the casing is different (and typically the performance parameters).

LiFe or lithium iron, really LiFePO4, has a different cathode material which make is 'safer', but, has less performance capability currently than the Li-Ion. And there are others too, in less use currently, that have other cathode materials.

Li-Ion batteries are perfectly safe, IF (and that's a big IF) the charge, discharge, balance and cooling are properly managed. And you mount them so they are not punctured. And, yes, I have had several LiPo batteries go up in smoke on me, due to charging issues and one was a short circuit.

Li-Fe have proven to be more immune to those kinds of issues, but, they can heat up and cause material nearby to catch fire if they are mistreated, kinda like NiMH batteries.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hmmm. Makes the AGM batteries look pretty good to me.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, then you just have to worry about the case failing and getting acid on things. That's about as likely as a LiFe issue.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Phil. if you are talking about an MU-2, It almost certainly Ni-Cd batteries.

Top Bottom