Pre-Load -- Refresh My Feeble Mind

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What does pre-load adjustment do? Does it change anything about static height? Or does it just adjust the amount of force needed before things start to move?

Or what?

When I picked up the bike yesterday, it felt about an inch taller than before. I can flatfoot one foot but then with the other one I could barely touch the ground with my toes. Before the replacement, I could flatfoot one and plant the other one with my heel lifted.

After I got home, I backed the preload down to zero and then cranked it back up 17 clicks, which I remember as the original set-up. I might have increased it 3-4 clicks when I was on the Epic Ride, but if I did, I don't know if I ever backed it back down.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
What does pre-load adjustment do? Does it change anything about static height? Or does it just adjust the amount of force needed before things start to move?

Or what?

When I picked up the bike yesterday, it felt about an inch taller than before. I can flatfoot one foot but then with the other one I could barely touch the ground with my toes. Before the replacement, I could flatfoot one and plant the other one with my heel lifted.

After I got home, I backed the preload down to zero and then cranked it back up 17 clicks, which I remember as the original set-up. I might have increased it 3-4 clicks when I was on the Epic Ride, but if I did, I don't know if I ever backed it back down.
Cranking up Preload will raise the bike and stiffen the spring up, as you are compressing the spring from the bottom with preload. You probably were there when the shock was new but over time the spring lost some of its tension and compressed easer from the weight of the bike. Or you just got shorter.:rofl1:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Or you just got shorter...]

Gravity and time will not be denied!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Ha ha, plus 2 chuck, I would speculate that he probably had worn out soles on his boot making it feel taller, I had to resole my riding boots after just two 1/2 years on the built up soles and heels!

By the way I just added a laminar Lip to the FJR on the Yamaha touring windshield, It made a marked improvement , very similar to the C-Baily with the varriables it would give and the extra width helps as well,

This might be of interest to NT owners looking for improvements to stock NT windshields!

Eldon

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Ha ha, plus 2 chuck, I would speculate that he probably had worn out soles on his boot making it feel taller, I had to resole my riding boots after just two 1/2 years on the built up soles and heels!

By the way I just added a laminar Lip to the FJR on the Yamaha touring windshield, It made a marked improvement , very similar to the C-Baily with the varriables it would give and the extra width helps as well,

This might be of interest to NT owners looking for improvements to stock NT windshields!

Eldon

It did not happen with out Pictures......:eek:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Oh, I think you probably have just lost a bunch of weight and no longer need as much preload to get the right amount of sag. :D

Or what?

Bike
2011 NT
I run mine 10 clicks up from the soft end. and have lowered the forks about 7/16th's which allows me to flat foot both feet at the same time.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My owners manual says 11 clicks from the bottom is the baseline setting... From there you adjust up or down per your needs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Oh, I think you probably have just lost a bunch of weight and no longer need as much preload to get the right amount of sag
LOL! I wish. I'm afraid that I'm turning into a large round mound of renown.

Gotta' get back on a bicycle, but I'm not sure that I can handle the hills here in Newcastle, WY.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
My owners manual says 11 clicks from the bottom is the baseline setting... From there you adjust up or down per your needs
Could be that they expect Americans to be heavier than Europeans... :burger: :donut: :pie1:

Shock Absorber Preload.jpg

US popcorn :bigpop: European Popcorn :smile_popcorn:

:tongue:

:spank1:

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Could be that they expect Americans to be heavier than Europeans...
Naw, While we were looking for a new SUV we looked at a Honda Pilot. In the towing section of the owners manual it clearly states that each passengers weight is figured at 150 pounds, or about 68 kilos. If Honda says the average American only weighs 150 pounds it must be true? :nuts: :rolleyes1:

Or maybe you use a different pre-load since your bikes weigh more? Don't forget Honda stripped the Deau for the US market...

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My owners manual instructs the rider to adjust the shock all the way down, then put 11 clicks into it. From there you decide whether you want a lower or higher setting. I leave mine at or near 11 at all times. I weigh 210 lbs and all my gear probably weighs nearly 100#.I have never felt the need to put more than 12 clicks but usually find that 11 is good enough.

That's 11 of 40 available clicks. I cant imagine how harsh the ride would be with more than 13 clicks

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Sorry my last post was a deliberate wind up, hence the :spank1: smilie

I'm about 195 lbs and considered very overweight here :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Clay, I am -- for the next 3 1/2 months. I thought about you yesterday as I was driving up. I was on "our" road from south of Torrington to Lingle, and then again from Lusk to Newcastle.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...all my gear probably weighs nearly 100#...]

When I ordered a new shock for my NT, I took my bathroom scale to the garage and weighed my riding gear and all the stuff I'd take with me on a multi-day trip. I can't recall the exact figure but it wasn't over 40 pounds. 100 pounds is a lot!

Europeans and the English are not as heavy as we are. They consume far less fast food, sodas, etc., and because of the high fuel prices they walk a lot. The meal portions over there are also smaller. The difference is really shocking when you land in the US after 2-weeks in Europe and look around!

Last edited:
Top Bottom