Helibar windshield question

Model 12

My new helibar windshield will be in next week and I'm having the local dealer install it. I know it comes with longer brake and clutch cables but I have a question regarding the the switches from the horn, turn signal, etc. lines that are in sheaths on both sides of the bars and go down the yoke and through a wire bracket. They don't look to me like they'll be long enough for the four inches or so needed when the bars are installed. Perhaps they can be removed from the wire bracket which would gain some distance as they appear to return through the wire and back towards the tank. Thanks for your help.

I guess I am not familiar with helibar windshield?... Are you fitting Helibars for a lift or set back and then a new windshield? A 4" lift is quite significant and you may be right to have concerns about the electrics...I suppose the tech will need to fit in the field and extend the wiring as needed ...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I assume you are referring to the Helibar risers. I'm not familiar with a windshield product from them.

For the riser installation, the wires for the handlebar switches can be "extended" by moving the connectors from the bracket on the left cowling. I'm not sure about the heated grips. The OEM heated grip harness is not near long enough. I had to build a totally custom harness for the heated grips when I installed them on the NT after the Helibar riser was installed. The other OEM wire harnesses are easily dealt with though.

I documented my install here. You can see how the wires are "stretched" for the risers by moving these connectors from the clips on the side of the left cowling.

Pay VERY close attention to the brake lever clearance. You should be able to pull the brake lever unobstructed all the way back to the grip. I had an issue initially with my install with the brake lever contacting the throttle cable nut (further explained in my documented install above). If you can't pull the lever to the grip without it hitting anything, make sure you have them fix it before you leave.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Model 12

Thank for the info Rmcapozzi it's exactly what I needed. Please excuse the windshield error, that was stupid on my part and I seem to do more of that as I get older. I'll pass the info along to my Honda mechanic.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The Helibar kit actually comes with a set of very clear instructions with several references to color pictures. If I remember correctly, the bike in the pictures actually belongs to a member of this forum.

I just did the installation myself, and although I don't recommend it for the 'faint of heart', I was very pleased with how thorough the instructions were. This is definitely a case of RTFM and follow it step by step the whole way through!

More to the point; the throttle and clutch cables are designed specifically for this application and are long enough. The stock wires going to the handlebar mounted controls are not, in their current configuration, and as Rmcapozzi stated, it is necessary to remove 4 or 5 connectors from their housing (left side of gas tank) and move the entire wiring harness forward to allow enough slack to reach the new handlebar location.

I did not bother with Honda's accessory connection for my heated grips (which I installed at the same time). Instead, I ordered the wiring kit and ran the wires back to my Fuzeblock.

/Larry

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I had my heli risor installed by My honds shop tech. He is very good! he also the same one that earlier had done the install on the OEM heated grips. when I came to pick the bike up I ask him how it went before I ever looked at it. He smiled and said I reprouted your heated grip wiring and other electrical harness so everything fits nicly and I didn't have to splice anything. It is all good, but if you decide to move any more up , or back then we will have to splice to have enough slack. If they try to blow smoke at you telling you it has to be spliced they will apparently not know what they are doingThis same tech and Service Mgr did those two frakles as well as installed the ThrottlemeisterThe techs name is Marty , at Taylor Honda, 503 -981-1813, service Mgr is Dale./

Eldon

OP
OP

Model 12

Thanks so much for the info and phone number. I'll definitely keep it handy and use it if need be;.
I had my heli risor installed by My honds shop tech. He is very good! he also the same one that earlier had done the install on the OEM heated grips. when I came to pick the bike up I ask him how it went before I ever looked at it. He smiled and said I reprouted your heated grip wiring and other electrical harness so everything fits nicly and I didn't have to splice anything. It is all good, but if you decide to move any more up , or back then we will have to splice to have enough slack. If they try to blow smoke at you telling you it has to be spliced they will apparently not know what they are doingThis same tech and Service Mgr did those two frakles as well as installed the ThrottlemeisterThe techs name is Marty , at Taylor Honda, 503 -981-1813, service Mgr is Dale./

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
As I recall, the OEM Honda heated grip harness uses a series of bullet plugs so it would be quite easy to "extend" that harness with some spare wire and bullet plugs.

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
BTW, as long as we're on the subject of Helibars. I love mine.

As mentioned above, the kit includes both a longer clutch cable and brake hose. One of these days, I'll have to replace the clutch cable. I suppose I could buy another one from Helibars (expensive), or buy a custom-made one (even more expensive.

I've heard that the Trans Alp clutch cable is the same length as the Helibar cable and works fine, but I would love to have someone say it will work. Anybody have any experience with the Trans Alp cable?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Doug, I do know that the Trans-Alp cable is 2" longer. When the Honda dealer in Montrose ordered me a cable back in 2012, I had them order one of each and if the Trans-Alp cable had gotten there the day needed to leave, I would have installed it. But it didn't and the stock NT cable has worked just fine ever since with my MC Larry risers.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
. . . and the stock NT cable has worked just fine ever since with my MC Larry risers.
If I remember correctly, the MC Larry risers are 1 inch up and 1 inch back. However, the Helibars are 2 1/2 inches up, and 3 1/2 inches back. That much distance is why Helibars has to supply a new cable and brake hose.

But - good to know that the Trans Alp is 2 inches longer - that sounds about right. Thanx.

Top Bottom