[How To] Built my own topcase carrier

OP
OP

elizilla

Drawer sides tend to be kind of rattly, and to have more of a focus on sliding the drawer easily in and out. I suppose if you found some really precise ones it could work, but the best ones tend to have wheels or bearings in them that add bulk and are optimized in ways you wouldn't want for this application. But the stuff on that site looks like it would give a precise slide and it would be stable side to side, and up and down.

Madmax

I ordered and installed a GIVI E221 base plate. Its made for the NT700V. The cost was $99.00 and it was easy to install...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You do have a point there. The GOOD drawer slides don't rattle, but, there is a cost associated with that :)

OP
OP

elizilla

I ordered and installed a GIVI E221 base plate. Its made for the NT700V. The cost was $99.00 and it was easy to install...
Yes, so did I. But then I decided I wanted to handle it differently, so I did this. :)

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Let me say that I really like Katherine's solution. It's on my bike right now!

SanFranciscoNTV

Does anyone know a good way to lower a Honda line top case? The mount sits so high it's annoying to look at. I was thinking of simply using a band saw to cut the screws and sleeves about 3/4"

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I hope this is ok to post, there's a couple of GIVI racks for sale on ADVrider that look like they could be adapted to one of our bikes and they seem reasonably priced. He said he'd take $90 for the pair including shipping if someone wants both, otherwise he's thinking $60 ea delivered.

Here's the link to the guy's Ad: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790658

LL75

OP
OP

elizilla

This morning, Mr Elizilla is fiddling with his Honda F6B. He is newly retired and contemplating his own Epic Ride. He hasn't picked a date or a destination yet, but he's prepping his bike. He wants to put a top case on the F6B. He has been looking at all that is available to order. But it turns out I already have everything he needs right here in the garage, to do this just as well as any of the ready-made solutions. I was able to hand him pieces of aluminum flat stock, a tacklebox-drawer full of spacers, another full of stainless M8 bolts in various lengths, some Givi mounting buttons, and the case to put on it. It's all been gathering dust in the garage waiting for the next project like this. When we married, he brought more tools to augment mine - he has a drill press, more power saws, and a bigger grinder. Plus he's much better at painting than I am. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with! I think he wants to make a larger rack that he can strap things to even when not carrying a case.

He's keener on the color matching than I am, and his bike is bright red. Since we aren't having to spend any money on the rack, perhaps we will use that money for one of the Givi painted panels, in red, to jazz up this plain black case.

Top Bottom