Yamaha FJ 09 Test Ride Video

tawilke46

This is a rather long but comprehensive, over 40 minutes, test ride by a new FJ-09 owner. I think I would really like this bike. The problem is my local Yamaha dealer can't keep them in stock. They sell as soon as they get them in.
From this guys comments I can see why. A lot of bike for the money.
BTW, this guy is 5'8" and says he can flatfoot the FJ.

So, go on a virtual ride on a new Yamaha FJ-09....,,

http://youtu.be/kzoJxLgxiRI

Last edited:
Yeah it's a real nice bike at a good price. And about 1" more leg room from seat to peg than the NT700 based on cycle-ergo.com

Pillion comfort is another matter however. Not sure about range, fuel economy, 0-60, etc but certainly less wind/weather protection than NT.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Since I also ride a Wee, the wind protection on both bikes would be similar. I would hope the FJ would get at least in the 40's in mpg and have close to 200 mile range out of the 4.8 gallon tank. Still would prefer a 5.5 gallon tank on a bike like this. Specs I have seen have an estimated 44 mpg that would give a range approximately 170 to 180 miles using 4 gallons of the 4.8 gallon tank. I ride very conservatively, so my mileage woud be higher than typical moto mag editors.
Would definitely opt for a larger windscreen such as a MRA Vario, GIVI or Cee Bailey. Add bags and a topcase and I would be ready to go.
I am favorably impressed with what I see in the Yamaha fit and finish on the FJ. Very, very good on a bike that lists for $10,490 MSRP.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
For what it's worth when MCN tested the NT they reported an average of 46.4mpg. I think most of us do better than that.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My overall average according to Fuelly is 46.6mpg. I was "peeved" at MCN's review of the NT and wrote them a semi-nasty letter. They had some factual errors and some misperceptions (at least in MNSHO). But they apparently got fuel economy exactly right.

Before anyone gets too excited about the FJ they should check out the recall on all 2015 FJ's. If I read it correctly the needed repair could be a complicated one.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, someone said earlier in the thread that FJR bags will fit. They do hold a full-face helmet.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

The reviewer in the video stated that the FJ had a somewhat abrupt on/off throttle transition, but mainly in the A mode, which delivers maximum hp mapping performance. Happens primarily in low gears at slow speed. In standard mode he said it was much less noticible and not a problem. The B mode is mainly for low traction conditions, and the abrupt throttle transitions may be even less noticible. The reviewer did not use the B mode in the video.
Many bike have sensitive throttle response. An adjustment that can be mostly remedied by time and muscle memory.

The reviewer stated in another video he posted that the FZ 09 suffered some snatchy throttle issues but after riding it more that he thinks the ECU reprogrammed and adapted to his style because it was much better. Maybe the FJ would do the same.

As for mainstream publications that don't accurately report their findings on a bike for fear of losing advertising dollars... It's the reason why I prefer British journals, YouTube vloggers and lament the demise of Top Gear!

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

You didn't descibe the wind protection is on the Wee, so can you describe it so I'll know what you mean when you say its similar to the Yamaha?

Thanks
I'm really speculating here. Both bikes are similar in that they are designed as "adventure touring" type bikes. Somewhat minimal front end fairing protection. I have not seen an FJ in person, so like I said just speculating from what I see in the pictures and the posted video. Will have a much better idea on this when and if I get to see one at our local dealer, maybe even get a test ride.
I have a larger Cee Bailey w/s on the Wee by the way.......

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

With the addition of the Cee Bailey windscreen, the wind protection is pretty good. If I had hanguards the it would be even better. I have done 300+ mile days on the Wee with no problem with fatigue from wind blast or buffeting. Got to admit the NT is much better on protection in Interstate riding. Still I would not hesitate to take the Wee cross country, cause it is such a fun bike to ride. I have GIVI soft side cases and a GIVI V47 topcase, so it's ready to rock and roll........

http://www.ceebaileys.com/suzuki/vstromws4.html

I have the 23" windshield on my Wee.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I had the Windstrom Manta with a Magstad bracket on my Wee and it did a great job of adding extra coverage from the waist up. The Wee and NT were comparable in wind protection except the NT provided much better coverage from the waist down... I got caught in the rain a couple of times on the Wee and my jeans would get soaked from the knees down. On the NT just the outside of my jeans would get a bit wet in a comparable rainstorm. I found the FJ-09 to be close to the previous generation WeeStrom in fit for me.

Top Bottom