Clutch pulsation?

KCC

Hi folks,

I found a new (16 miles) leftover 2010 NT700V that had sat unsold at a dealership until I bought it in 2013. Great motorcycle; I now understand why they are so appreciated by those of us who own them. Neat motorcycle. In have an ST1300 that I really like for long distance travel, but really appreciate that the NT700V is about 265 pounds lighter.

Since new, I've noticed an unusual "pulsation" of power transfer to the rear wheel, just off idle RPM, that's cyclic, about 2 per second, that occurs when the engine is cold and the clutch is just into the very beginning of the friction zone (as in just very slightly engaged; for instance, when moving the motorcycle at very low speed, maneuvering it out of the garage, or moving out from a stop). Almost feels like rhythmically and repeatedly moving the clutch lever into and out of the friction zone. Or, kind of feels like warped clutch plates feel. Only happens with a cold engine. When the engine is at normal operating temperature, clutch engagement is smooth and linear.

Had the local Honda dealer inspect the clutch for warped or contaminated plates; no discrepancies were noted. The research he did revealed this in not an uncommon problem with the NT700V, but he is at a loss to explain why it occurs. He thought that since the motorcycle sat unused for quite a while at the selling dealership that possibly that portion of the fiber clutch plates that were immersed in oil may have absorbed more oil that those above the oil level, causing a difference in the friction/grip of the "dry" versus "wet" portion of the plates, that goes away when the oil has warmed and the clutch plates are equally oil soaked. Hmm.... maybe, maybe not.

The other thought I had is that with cold, relatively thick oil, when the engine is cold, that possibly what I am feeling is the inherent power pulses of the engine related to its crank timing, the power pulses being not an equal 180 degrees apart. Honda USA says that is probably what is happening; feeling the unequal power pulses, but only with a cold engine.

I'm using Honda GN4 10W30. The motorcycle has never had other than Genuine Honda oil (no automotive, "friction modifier" type oils). I have an '89 Transalp with basically the same engine that doesn't exhibit these symptoms.

So, thought I'd toss this out to the group to see if anyone else has experienced this "character trait" of my NT.

Thanks.

Ken
Montana

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ken, Sounds like a "feature," not a problem. I've never had anything like that. How many miles on the bike?

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I would be fairly certain the problem is being caused by the cold oil being thicker and therefore the clutch plates are "grabbing".

You did not say how many miles the bike has travelled BUT I would also be fairly certain that once you have about 10,000 miles on the clock the problem will no longer be noticeable.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hi Ken,
I have a 2010 with 20,000 on it that does exactly the same thing when cold. Crank it and ride around house to park on walkway. Halfway around she goes Vroom, Vroom a few times. Never happens when warm. Ignore it. Not an issue. Nothing to worry about. IMHO.

OP
OP

KCC

Thanks for the replies, folks. The motorcycle has about 5600 miles.

Rode it about 200 miles today, same pulsation when cold, and, after sitting for a couple hours but not completely cooled off.

"Feature", good term, kinda like a "character", ref BMW, Ural, etc.

What a great motorcycle..... I've been running around on two wheels for, hmm..., good grief, 50+ years; at last count there's 15 motorcycles under the roof (proper number of motorcycles to have is just one more, as I'm sure you already know) and this NT700V is one of the best I've had the pleasure of riding.

Any more thoughts/opinions/ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Top Bottom