Another compact tent

I think that I have a fixation on tents - this is the 5th one that I've purchased. I have two Ozark Trail (Walmart) Jr Boy Scout tents ($20 each) that are 5' X 6" X 3" and pack down to a 16" X 6" size and only weigh 2+ lbs. I can sleep in it on the diagonal, it is free standing and it was my go to tent for my hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I purchased two as I was not sure of the durability of the fiberglass poles. It has no rain fly although it was supposed to be waterproof but I wasn't expecting rain at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. So to summarize, light, good interior height, free standing and compact. But now I find this No Limits brand Blackwell Peak 2 man tent that is also free standing, has greater interior height (39"), has a very good rain fly with ventilation, Its 83" long and has aluminum poles but also weighs 5lbs. The weight and packed size are important to me as all my equipment goes into my two bicycle panniers. I've been doing 25 mile trips every week and my short term goal is to do a century (100 miles in a day) to celebrate surviving one year since my accident. My longer term goal is to ride Orlando - Key West and back this fall after the rainy season. I'm making progress and life is good. Wendell

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/no-limits-153-blackwell-peak-backpacking-tent/pid-817753?color=Yellow&N=882470662

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I like your tent link Wendell, but my lack of flexibility makes be like a bigger tent now. I'm happy with my Mountain Hardware tent that John Browning put me onto a couple years ago.

Bicycling is good exercise for us old people. I've got a few hundred miles on my mountain bike this spring so far and most of those are really off-road. I don't like to ride with the cars that have texting drivers. I have a goal to ride on a fund raising tour (about 175 miles in 3 days) to "The Highgrounds" (a veterans memorial). Alternatively, I'm considering a "fat tire tour of campgrounds" right here in northern WI) for which I'd use my 2-pound tent. I'm not sure I want to try a century ride with fat knobby tires that weigh over 700 grams each. But I do ride almost every day. And riding in the dirt improves what little balance I have left.

It is great to hear of your progress recovering from your big wreck. Your good physical condition and all your so called "angles" served you well. Keep up the good progress.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wendell, I'll chime in with an "atta-boy" for the great progress you're making. I haven't ridden my bike since January. It was too cold and wet in February in Greeley and since then I've been up here in Newcastle, WY, and they have hills that are WAY beyond my current capability.

I finish here at the end of June and then I'll start pedaling again before Spearfish and get really serious about it after Spearfish. Wish you were going to be up here with us!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Wendell,

You are doing a great job ! the recovery will continue in a positive way I ;m certain. I am sure you will be back on a bike by tis time next year if you choos to1 If you decide to not ride again no one will blame you and I think I speak for everyone that you will always be a part of this group.
Bocycle camping is great if you have the initiative for it, but my ambition has got upand gone to the point that the thought of doing it sounds like hard work:smile:

Having done the Kwy qwar ride by motorcycle I will say the idea of doing it by bicycle seems quite dangerous. I wish you a safe journey on your ride.

Eldon

OP
OP
wphillips007
Eldon, You pretty much hit the nail on the head about my getting another motorcycle - I'm ready. My strength is coming back and my fear of re-injuring my back has gone way down. However, two things hold me back for now - 1) I've got to give more time to my family and friends to accept me getting another cycle. They nursed me back to health and they don't want to go through that experience again so there is still a lot of pressure on me not to get another cycle. The other reason 2) is that I only have so much free time and my bicycle riding is sucking all the free time I have right now. I haven't even been out in my kayak lately. Tomorrow I'm headed out 40 miles to a campground by a large lake to try out all my equipment and then return on Friday. It's my first excursion since my trip up to Pigeon Forge. I'm slowly getting my endurance built up for my bicycle trip down to Key West this fall. From Key Largo to Key West is 106 miles and 79 miles is supposed to have some sort of bike trail - but it can still be dangerous. I plan to take the ferry from Key West to Ft Myers on the way back. If I survive (and enjoy) that trip then next year I plan to bicycle across to California (and maybe back). By then my family and friends should have settled down and I can go on the bigger and better things after that (as in something with two wheels and a motor). I still have the Key West to Prudhoe Bay on my do do list. At least there is nothing wrong with dreaming. Wendell

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Those sound like great plans, Wendell!

I'm going to be (kinda') in your neck of the woods from tomorrow night till Tuesday morning. Joanne and I are flying in to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow for my daughter and her fianc?e's wedding on Saturday. We had thought we'd meet a high school classmate of hers who lives NE of Orlando, but it turned out that she'll be in NYC. We're kind of thinking about driving up to Cape Canaveral on Sunday or Monday.

OP
OP
wphillips007
Phil - Welcome to sunny Florida (As in hot and humid). If you can make it over to Winter Park, you and Joanne will have a FREE ride on the Winter Park Scenic Boat Ride (1 hour ride) - that offer is also on for all my friends on this forum. I lived in Ft Lauderdale for about 16 years so you will be in my old stomping grounds. Wendell

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Wendell, I doubt if we'll travel that far, but we'll keep the offer in mind!

Top Bottom