Bad idea

OP
OP
coaster
Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
Did the right side Saturday replaced it with this.

DSCN1410.JPG

I will do the left side as soon as I get a round tuit.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yeah, I did the same thing, only the locks I use have a combination. Haven't had a problem since I did it over a year ago.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Still have the stock setup in mine with the big lids. Without the factory grease to catch the crunchies that locked it up before. They are working great. Use them every day on my commute. Grit in the grease makes them not work. I would prefer they worked without having to lock them. Not willing to do the work to implement that change. Have not had a problem with them for a few years now.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sometime this summer (once I quit working and riding to places like Spearfish and Big Sky, MT), I'm going to put latches like that on my panniers.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Well, Phil, you have had your Epic (Retirement) Ride so I guess it is safe for you to go back to work.

OP
OP
coaster
Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
Still have the stock setup in mine with the big lids. Without the factory grease to catch the crunchies that locked it up before. They are working great. Use them every day on my commute. Grit in the grease makes them not work. I would prefer they worked without having to lock them. Not willing to do the work to implement that change. Have not had a problem with them for a few years now.
I had no problem with them working, my problem was the plastic posts on the interior section of the saddlebag cracked and broke, they are the same flimsy arrangement as the posts on the saddlebag lids. They will eventually break.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Coaster, that's why I'm going to replace the latches. The back outside latch support on my right-side big lid has broken.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Treat it like a 63 Chevy and almost anything will break...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...my problem was the plastic posts on the interior section of the saddlebag cracked and broke, they are the same flimsy arrangement as the posts on the saddlebag lids...]

I respectfully disagree. The plastic towers (posts) that secure the latch mechanism are way too wimpy; conversely and at least for me, I've had no problems with the lid latches because the screws go into thick material. :)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
So far, like Karl, I have had no problems. Maybe it is the crisp New England air.

Top Bottom