Mesh Jacket Observation

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I view a mesh jacket as something to hold the armor in place for one fall. And I wear it daily during the warmer months.

PS The outer shell for my Flex III jacket I view as a wind and rain cover, not as extra protection (although it will provide a little bit extra cause it also has some additional padding in it).

If I was really that concerned with injuries in a fall/crash I'd buy one of the inflatable jackets.

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I also feel that it will help to reduce the road rash, but not eliminate it, depending on the speed of the "off".

Most gear should be viewed as a one time "use" item regardless of the construction unless a very low speed "off".

If you're really worried go for a one piece leather with armour and inflatable collar like the Racers have. A bit warm though :smile:

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Hot weather mesh is the only way I can ride. I tried jackets with zippers, not cool enough for a long ride, I still wear a long sleeve shirt under my mesh. I had a small melanoma removed a few years ago so, always hat and long sleeve jacket. On trips wicking shirt usually. I hope to never find out just how well they protect I higher speeds. I did hit some gravel hidden on the fog line one time on a corner wearing mesh , (down at about 20 mph, jacket worked, helmet worked), and I road off after righting my stead: a muscle shirt and no helmet H-D still I would of got a nice ride in the back of a vehicle.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
while the sliding part of a crash is not to be taken lightly, the initial impacts that result from a crash are, in my opinion, a higher priority. I upgraded all my armor to level 2 sastec and forcefield net molecular-level multi-use armor. Not cheap but not throw away either and pretty amazing stuff.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Revizilla has the Klim Badlands Pro jacket on sale for $674.99 and the pants on sales for $487.49.

I am once again considering the Aerostich R-3 light but its hard to pull the trigger on $1,000 when you already have a closet full of riding gear.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I am once again considering the Aerostich R-3 light but its hard to pull the trigger on $1,000 when you already have a closet full of riding gear.
Wasn't that hard for me. I just had my Darian suit in for factory fix for the third time and they told me they have fixed it for the last time. They seam taped a bunch of leaky spots (for free and while I waited), but they advised my the life of my jacket is about done (at least the water proof part). Even though it leaks a little in a few spots it is still way better than anything else I've had.

So I have a new R3-one piece coming now.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Heck that's getting close to how much my bike is worth ;)

I won't spend more than $300 for jacket or pants and will wait for sales to get it for less. My leather jacket was $95 on sale one day.

Yep I am cheap :) And money challenged :)

charlie

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Wasn't that hard for me. I just had my Darian suit in for factory fix for the third time and they told me they have fixed it for the last time. They seam taped a bunch of leaky spots (for free and while I waited), but they advised my the life of my jacket is about done (at least the water proof part). Even though it leaks a little in a few spots it is still way better than anything else I've had.

So I have a new R3-one piece coming now.
Did you get the yellow banana suit or the more subdued gray ?

JQL

Bike
About 15 years ago I used to do it IT at a clothing company. Most of the items for Europe are made in China and/or the Indian Sub-Continent. I image that Mexico and China (possibly South America) are the manufacturing countries of choice for the US.

A business suit delivered to the shop door in the UK cost about ?25-?30. That included design, manufacturing, shipping, taxes, our profit and the manufacturer's profit etc. The same suit would retail for about ?150-?175 in the shop. Yes, you read that right.

When you see a clothing sale which offers 75% off, the shop is still making money! So don't blame the manufacturer, they're making a very small amount on each item.

As to Motorcycle gear. I don't have definitive figures but, I would imagine that a standard mesh jacket will cost about ?15-?20 to make and ship to the shop door.

A Gore-Tex jacket will cost more because of the Licence fee that Goretex requires and the fact that the material is probably woven in the US or Europe (rather than Bangladesh or South or Central America) making it much more expensive.

A 'Stitch will always cost much, much more (but maybe 50% less than retail) because it is manufactured in the US, so the labour cost is very high. Also they offer an excellent service and someone - you - has to pay for that.

I refuse point blank to buy any item of clothing unless it is in a sale with at least 50% off because I know the shop is still making a good profit at that price. Having said that, next time I'm in the US I'll probably buy a 'Stitch as I don't feel they're making an excessive profit on their clothing.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The Aerostich R-3 Light that I am looking at has this at the bottom of the description. Made in USA and Imported.

I noticed some of their other clothing says that as well.

I am not sure what part is imported. Maybe its the material and they sew it together in the US.

Some of our more knowledgably members probably know.

JQL

Bike
Warren,

Thanks for that. I was under the impression that the material used is Gore-Tex which, I believe, is (or was) only manufactured in the US. Maybe things have changed...

Just checked their site again for the R3 (not the light)
the R-3 is constructed of Aerostich’s exclusive American-made mil-spec 500d Cordura? GORE-TEX? fabric.
I wonder if the imported parts are the armour and zips etc.?

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If you look closely at the bottom of the description for the R-3 and R-3 Light it has an American flag and the word Imported.

The Roadcrafter Classic does not have the word Imported next to the flag.

They all have a large flag and Made in the USA next to their pictures however so I suspect that something in the R-3 is imported. Maybe its the magnets which the Roadcrafter Classic does not have.

I am not overly concerned either way.

Chris, sorry to have hijacked your mesh jacket topic.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The imported parts, AFAIK, indicates that a significant portion of the suit is not from the US. It goes back to the companies who would import a product, make a final adjustment to it or assemble several major pieces and call it Made in USA. I don't remember the rules, but, 25% comes to mind, just not sure.

Wiki:
It will not be considered a deceptive practice for a marketer to make an unqualified U.S. origin claim if, at the time it makes the claim, the marketer possesses and relies upon competent and reliable evidence that: (1) U.S. manufacturing costs constitute 75% of the manufacturing costs for the product; and (2) the product was last substantially transformed in the United States.

This was a guideline NOT passed, so the labels can still be deceptive. Heck, even that statement can be stretched a bit.

Last edited:
About 2 weeks ago I bought a Klim Induction mesh jacket.

Here's a link to there website http://www.klim.com/Induction-Jacket-5060-000.html

I don't know how it compares to that chart in post number 1 but according to their website the jacket uses "840D HI-TENACITY 6.6 NYLON FOR OUTSTANDING ABRASION RESISTANCE AND DURABILITY" and the mesh is "Constructed with proprietary KLIM? KARBONITE MESH? Technology which yields a final highly-flexible material that is up to 750% stronger than polyesters used by other brands."

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I just talked to a friend of mine who works at Aero. The Roadcrafters are made in Duluth out of Gortex made in America. The pads are made in Minnesota.
The Lights are made overseas. There was a very short period when they got their fabric overseas and it was a 600, but that was a very short period of time.

The Transits I think are made from leather from Italy which is shipped to England where the Gortex is laminated and then I think it is sewn in Viet Nam. But they are discontinuing the Transits.

I've had my Darian worked on 3 times now and they did all the work in Duluth - once while I waited. I guess they figured that if I wandered around in their showroom for an hour and a half while waiting I'd probably buy something. Total charge for 3 repairs was about $30 which included waterproofing.

JQL

Bike
Yes, I'm jaded. The hyped up marketing names mean nothing to me till I can see some factual data.
Aren't we all! +1 to the marketing hype etc.
In the meantime, I hope my guardian angel is working overtime as I wear my 600d polyester mesh jacket with no fancy names associated with it on a full day ride to Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Rainier.
I'm sure he is. Enjoy the ride.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am director of marketing for a large manufacture and I love reading all that great copy. The choice of words, even made up ones, is much more scientific than you might think. We sell in the BB space so its hard to be as creative since mostly professionals read our material but in the BC space pretty much anything goes.

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
One issue about motorcycle gear that has bother me, most or made in county where the employees get a day what we spend on a good lunch. If a company is getting stuff made in these low paying counties and still charge like item was made in Europe or USA. I don't care if am item is made in the USA, if its made in a country that pay a decent wage, but look at your gear: most made in a country that is made in.
I also think we should tax the heck out of USA polluters, and ignore China, India, and Mexico: Lets make sure we punish America companies so they can move to work out of here and stop polluting here. :wink:

Top Bottom