Central CO campgrounds

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Brother and I are going to be in CO again at the end of the month.

We want to set up camp and then take day rides from there. One day would be Pikes Peak, another RMNP. Others up in the air at this point. We are going to ride in by going up CO141 and then across on I70 then south to wherever we decide to stay.

It looked like Leadville would be a good area. The key is security and showers so was looking for a KOA or RV park type place (or a good state/fed park). But, I can only find one spot there that looked reasonable, the SugarLoaf RV park. Scenery is not that important, just want a place to pitch the tents and get cleaned up. Any other suggestions?

And, yes, we are prepared for cold weather.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Charlie, the Mt Princeton RV Park and Campground, 30380 CR 383, Buena Vista CO 81211, (888)995-6206, looks pretty good. I had thought there was a KOA there, but there's not.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
If you are going to be in or near Gunnison, the KOA is great. For the price of a tent space with electric, they give an A frame that sleeps two with running water, electricity, lights and a firepit

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
I have used the Estes Park Campground at East Portal in the past with good results. It's close to RMNP and the Estes Park shops, the bathhouses/showers were clean and it was quiet for sleeping once the sun went down. I hear the county took over the campground and it's better than ever, but haven't been out there in a dozen years. I think it's time for another trip west.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks all.

I've been searching through almost all of them. The problem is we're traveling over Labor Day so many of them are already booked, including the Buena Vista KOA. I'm a KOA member so checked all of them first.

So far the Carbonville KOA is still available. Not sure about the place in Leadville. Mt Princeton does not have any tent camping, only (expensive) cabins.

Top Bottom