NT Gathering, May 12-15, 2016, Davis WV

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
This will be the 3rd or 4th year for this gathering and it's grown each year. Davis is near the eastern end of KY and the western end of VA.

--> RSVP Here <--

The onsite hotel is the Alpine Lodge, 850 Sawmill Lane, in Davis (304) 239-0505 , with extremely reasonable rates and clean, basic rooms. The Sawmill restaurant is in the same building as the hotel and most of us ate there every morning, plus we did our day ride plans there. In addition Davis has 4 B & Bs, plus a larger hotel, the Canaan Valley Resort Hotel some distance from Davis.

The closest campground is the Restrite (304) 259-5569 but they won't take reservations until May 1, 2016. It's about a 15-minute walk from the Restrite to the Alpine Lodge/Sawmill Restaurant and between the two is a gas station/convenience store that sells adult beverages. The Blackwater Falls State Park campground (304) 259-5349 further up that same road and a much longer walk.

The town of Davis has some nice eateries and it is only about 1/4 mile from the Alpine Lodge, plus there is a good restaurant partway between the Alpine Lodge and the gas station/convenience store. :eek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Thanks Mellow!

I've already received 3 or 4 confirmations on my personal E-mail. :)

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For those of you who've never ridden in this part of WV, you'd have to work hard to find a road that is flat and without curves!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Doubtful for me. My early May rides have too often been foiled by snowstorms. Although we have some nice days earlier in the year, long trips are best planned for late May or after.

On the other hand, after a winter spent off the bike, any opportunity to ride is welcomed. So if the weather is nice enough, it will be hard/impossible to resist.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
On my calendar Tosh ! ! Restrite Campground will not take reservations before the last week in April or first week in May. This is early season and when we were there this year the campground was nearly empty. The phone number, if needed is 304-259-5569. I know the owners well and they even said there would be no problem as most of us set up in that open grassy area which will allow several tents on each site. They are super nice folks and even loaned us 5 folding camp chairs since it's difficult to carry them for some. Already looking forward to this event and will have another good set of rides available.

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Marked on my calendar. I will try to combine this with a visit to Knott Co. Ky. where my family roots are.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Electraclyde - there are two towns called "Davis" in WV. The Davis we'll use is far to the east and almost inline with the western tip of MD. If you find that point of MD, then go straight down about 10-miles you'll find Davis. Hope to see you there!

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Back in 2007, the Concours Owners Group held their national rally at Canaan Valley State Park, just south of Davis. There was truly some great riding in the area!

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Electraclyde - there are two towns called "Davis" in WV. The Davis we'll use is far to the east and almost inline with the western tip of MD. If you find that point of MD, then go straight down about 10-miles you'll find Davis. Hope to see you there!
Easiest way to find the correct one on any map is to search Blackwater Falls State Park which is right beside it. You must go through the town of Davis to get to the park and you must go by Restrite Campground to get to the park.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
had fun at this rally. went Friday night thru sunday, next year will go a day earlier Thursday night as to get in on Friday's ride!!

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[Doubtful for me. My early May rides have too often been foiled by snowstorms]

Jungle Jim - Put your bike on a truck or trailer and bring it south. The Alpine Lodge has a huge parking lot!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Jungle Jim - Put your bike on a truck or trailer and bring it south. The Alpine Lodge has a huge parking lot!
Don't think that idea is new here. I have an enclosed trailer full of my construction tools and supplies which is no longer used for that purpose. I have a wheel chock I've intended to install. But the trailer is still full of tools and supplies and has built in shelves. I need to "re-purpose" the trailer, as soon as I find room to store all the stuff that is in there now. Then I'll be ready to trailer south to find suitable winter riding weather.

The spring NT gathering may be just the motivation I need to get that done (between the honey-do jobs). If I take off on motorcycle trips my spouse expects (and deserves) good cooperation from me when I'm actually home. My procrastination skills have enabled me to put off converting the trailer because I keep thinking that spring will come early. I did make it to the spring ride in Maryville TN two years ago and I was down that way for several years before that as well. The roads down there are great. For me the good riding begins in SW OH and goes on till it gets too hot and humid. But I freely admit I'm more committed to the gathering in Spearfish

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
Dirtflier....I can't commit to this trip yet, but since my wife and I rarely ride together anymore....maybe we could team up for the ride down??

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I am be planning on going down for the gathering, so anyone from Michigan, Indiana or west wants to meet for part of the ride down keep me in mind. I usually try to keep rides under 300 miles (which was exceed a lot on recent ride to Maggie Valley). I might make first night just north of Columbus, then 300 to Gathering. And if you take the Lake Express Ferry across Lake Michigan it a lower fare in May usually, sometimes it been free for motorcycles.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
In case others on here would like extend your ride just prior to this event and tour of some more of southern West Virginia and a bit of Virginia you would be more than welcome to join me. I plan to leave the Parkersburg WV area on Tuesday morning May 10th and take a sweet 2 lane crooked road route I have used before, to Watoga State Park near Marlinton, WV where I plan to camp for a couple nights. On Wednesday I have a spectacular loop route that will take us down into a bit of VA and back to Watoga on some fantastic roads and see some great sites along the way. Will depart from Beaver Creek Campground at Watoga on Thursday morning and then take the long, scenic route to Davis through some fantastic country and roads, arriving in Davis early afternoon. Just wanted to get this out there early in case others want to get it on their calendars. If so let me know as we get a bit closer to the date if you want to meet along the route there or just meet at Watoga. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Davis for sure.

Duane, great suggestion for some "pre-rally" camping and riding. When date gets a bit closer I'll check to see if I can tag along. Look forward to seeing friends in May!

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Just a reminder to make plans to attend this event! If you wait too long, you'll always find excuses for not attending. :)

ps. we had a few non-NTs at last year's event and they are always welcome.

Top Bottom