Harley-Davidson CEO: Our Bikes Are Not Just for 'Old White Guys'

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

This quote made me laugh. Every weekend when I go out riding Old White Guys is all I see riding Harley's.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
This quote made me laugh. Every weekend when I go out riding Old White Guys is all I see riding Harley's.
You really need to get out and travel more...:wink: There are plenty of minority riders in the metro Atlanta area. And my thirty five year old son probably doesn't consider himself an "Old White Guy" just yet...although I do give him a hard time about his receding hairline....:rofl1:

Like it or not H-D is continuing to outsell all the other brands in the women and minority categories. And now that H-D is leasing motorcycles it will get even more interesting. I still smile every time I get my financial reports....:smile:

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
For what it is worth I was back in my home town of Milwaukee helping out my mother with some things and me and my Milwaukee riding buddies went to the Harley Davidson Museum. We noted that we heard at LEAST 4 foreign languages. People there from all over the world it seemed. I think there were a few Old White Guys too...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,

That's the demographic I see here in Missouri too Warren... old white guys dressed like pirates ~

Mike

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Hey Wayne, your not hitting "close to home" with that remark -- You are hitting HOME!

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I guess not enough of the members have them Iphones, and use twitter, snap chat, or any of the other x generation programs.
That old man I see every morning, just won't leave me alone

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
According to many articles I have read, the younger generation is just not turning out for the traditional forms of recreation like they once did. Fishing, golf, motorcycling, little league baseball, hunting, etc. etc. It seems they are now captivated by the social networking scene and txting each other on their I-Phones.

MIke

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
I must be getting old because all I can think of that is "What a waste of a precious gift of life". Each to their own I guess.

According to many articles I have read, the younger generation is just not turning out for the traditional forms of recreation like they once did. Fishing, golf, motorcycling, little league baseball, hunting, etc. etc. It seems they are now captivated by the social networking scene and txting each other on their I-Phones.

MIke

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[According to many articles I have read, the younger generation is just not turning out for the traditional forms of recreation like they once did.]

Very true as all auto and motorcycle manufacturers are losing lots of sleep worrying over this very reality. Trying to attract the X & Y crowd is why auto makers pack the cars with too much electronic technology. And a lot of that technology (not related to driving the car) often doesn't work or perhaps the customer doesn't understand how it works, so it has become the #1 complaint to all dealers by a huge margin

Many years ago, I recalled reading in a Automotive News (a trade paper) that Mercedes-Benz had "improved" their new models by eliminating over 200 electronic functions from the onboard dash display. I heard that dealer techs were usually unable to understand or repair all those functions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Warren

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

MIke
While its true that many young people are into social networking many of them are combining that with recreational activities. I subscribe to a couple dozen youtube channels for Motovloggers. These are almost all young men and women in their 20's. The channels I subscribe to are from the US, Canada, UK, Australia and Taiwan. All of them also use facebook, twitter, snapchat and other social media communications methods. Some of them have well over 100,000 subscribers and they are making a living off the advertising on their youtube channels. You can tell they love motorcycles but its the social connection they get that drives them. They have meet ups where they all get together and some of them have achieved rock star status. Most ride sport bikes with the Yamaha R6 being popular and dual-sport bikes like the Yamaha WR250F.

Top Bottom