Bike's too hot to ride.........but....

MarkAlann

Here in Indy it's been pretty hot and I've found the nt to be nearly too hot to ride. Seems the heat from the rear header either heats up under the tank or heats up my right leg. But I may have a solution and a way to test it first. I would like some one else to test with me and let us know the results.
What I did was remove the black plastic cover over the right side "bumper guard" and removed the small black plastic sheild just above the engine on the right side also. I did this just to see if the heat escapes and it seems to me that it helps, but looks bad.
If after a couple favorable test rides I'll make a scoop to force the heat out.
Does anyone else find the NT hot to ride?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I wear a riding suit which probably helps and no I have never had an issue with heat from the NT and I commute on it with temperatures close to 100.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Removing the tip-over wing cover is OK but I would advise against removing any of the internal shields. This is because they are there to protect other parts of the bike and their removal may cause parts to fail.

I know of a few people who do remove the tip-over wing covers in summer to help cool the bike. Remember, that in doing so, you will heat your legs a little more as the heat will exhaust virtually straight onto your shins.

Cleverer people than I spend their working lives working out heat management (there's a huge department in Honda design doing just that) and the internal shielding is there for a purpose. External, like the tip-over wing cover, is for esthetics as well as air management (it has a vent in it underneath).

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have to say that I have ridden in 40C+ (104F+) heat here in Oz and agree that I can feel that my right leg is warmer than the left but it has not been a problem. At those temperatures, in the hot sun, keeping the upper body cool is much more of a problem. I have suffered heat stress a couple of times but not caused by the bike, just the ambient conditions. Even at those temperatures the NT has run well with the gauge needle just below half.

Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Our weather here in MO is similar to Indy in the summer and I have never had a problem.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The comment about the right leg getting hotter is interesting. I have not noticed that in the simmer but in the winter I have noticed that I definitely have more cold air going up my right pant leg than the left. At those times I wished it was engine heat. I have looked at the right side vs the left to see what the cause of the aerodynamic effect is but could not figure it out for sure. In the winter I now tuck my pant legs into my boots which solved the problem.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
you need to remove the seat and make sure the gasket against the back of the fuel tank is properly seated against the tank and on the bottom where it straddles a plastic part or you WILL get a hot breeze across your right thigh

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I only had a heat problem in certain crosswinds. The downwind side would get hot air.

FWIW I rode in temps up tom115F and did not get any heat from the bike except for the crosswind issue.

I would check to make sure the seat is installed properly and all the internal shields are in place. I would not rmove any of them. They work.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Seems the heat from the rear header either heats up under the tank or heats up my right leg

Yes, it's the headpipe from the rear cylinder because it comes out then goes forward before curving downward at the front of the engine. The portion that runs forward is just inside your right thigh. I used headder wrap on most of that pipe, ending just behind the fairing so it's invisible from the outside.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Interesting that I never noticed it (I am usually the first to complain about stuff like that :) ). Never even dawned on me that the pipe was under there (and I tend to keep my knees firmly against the tank).

Inseam? Does it only effect folks with longer legs?

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
Have any of you ever rode a C-10 Concours?! Our NT's are icebergs in comparison. It's summer. It's gonna be hot.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My NT was not hot, even in summer. If I wanted to warm my legs I had to stick them outside the protected area of the fairing so the 'exhaust' from the radiator would flow over them.

Yes, other bikes are 'hot'. HD's at stoplights (some of them). Buells. Early ST1300's. First gen Guzzi Norge. etc, etc. It is pretty clear when most people notice a problem.

I am just curious why these two (and others?) are uncomfortable while it does not bother others.

Or is it like the handlebar vibration issue. Some of us are more sensitive to it than others.

Last edited:
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Be sure to see REDNIGEL's note about the gasket seal behind tank being in place, and that both sides of seat/plastic that runs on each side of seat are properly seated. I had the same heat issue and found the seat not quite mounted correctly on one side . It is tricky sometimes to get the seat back on properly as discussed in some earlier threads.
You can look and compare how the the under side lip of the seat looks on both sides and see if it doesn't match, you'll find the seat actually higher on one side and allows hot air to go where it shouldn't....to the thighs.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
you need to remove the seat and make sure the gasket against the back of the fuel tank is properly seated against the tank and on the bottom where it straddles a plastic part or you WILL get a hot breeze across your right thigh

I experienced this with my NT. Everytime you take the seat off you have to make sure the rubber gasket is in the correct place before replacing the seat. On hot days I remember riding with my legs about 2-3 inches out to get air flow. My current Tiger 800 is even warmer to ride, but isn't bad at all if moving.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Yes, other bikes are 'hot'. HD's at stoplights (some of them). Buells. Early ST1300's. First gen Guzzi Norge. etc, etc. It is pretty clear when most people notice a problem.

I am just curious why these two (and others?) are uncomfortable while it does not bother others.

Or is it like the handlebar vibration issue. Some of us are more sensitive to it than others.
Gen I and II FJR's reportedly had thermal management problems that were mostly cured with the Gen III's (2013 on). And some riders report vibration problems across all years. I don't know if some riders are more sensitive or if some bikes have throttle body sync problems. FJR engines have a pair of crank driven balance weights.

I put on a beaded seat cover to help with this issue. It does help a bit with airflow at highway speeds. Not much help when stuck in traffic though!.

Bike
ST1300,R1200RT
I put on a beaded seat cover to help with this issue. It does help a bit with airflow at highway speeds. Not much help when stuck in traffic though!.
*Provide space between gas tank and your legs.
* Dirtflier recommendation of header wrap is good, but I used header sleeve which is easier to install, but you have to get used to the smell.
*Add insulation material behind gasket seal and under the seat.
*Powder coat header pipes which adds insulation to the pipes and they look great without polishing.
*Add air deflector for improved air mgmt.
*Wear non-cotton underwear.
I think the reason some feel heat more than others, is because where they sit on the seat and what kind of seat they have. Russell day long, and other costume seats have thicker/heavier density foam which provides additional insulation/ butt location.
John

Top Bottom