Spotting on my pipes

NCpkwyrider1

When I went to take my bike for a ride yesterday, I noticed some spotting on one of my pipes. I have no idea where this came from......possibly from road salt ?!?! Has anyone seen this before, and, if so, what did you do to get rid of the spotting? It's very strange considering the bike is always stored in my garage. Any help is greatly appreciated.

taldric

I'm assuming you mean the pipes the come off the engine front? Every NT I've seen that has driven any serious miles has spotted exhaust pipes. They are the only stock component that I think looks crummy. I wish someone would make some nicer aftermarket pipes.

elizilla

Same here, mine started getting spotty almost immediately. I think they all do it.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Mine have done that too. I didn't get too worried as the dealer's demo bike had the same spots/bluing at 700 miles. It doesn't look like rust.

Igo

So far Rick and I are staving off the rust issue pretty well.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Go to the Deauville Forum and look for the Shiny Downpipe Club thread for ways to keep your pipes shiny and bright.

Clayboy

Mine did the same thing after the first 100 miles. Glad to know it wasn't just mine. It appears to be blueing like on chrome pipes. it clean off some with chrome polish and alot of rubbing. :frown:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
If the cosmetics are important enough to you and buffing is too bothersome, you always can get them ceramic coated or chromed.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Quite a few comments on the UK site about corrosion problems with the NT. I have discoverd a couple of problem areas here and there. I purchased a couple cans of ACF-50 that I apply to control the problem.

My solution is to use 2000 grit wet-dry black sandpaper and Semi-Chrome in combination. The problem is the pipes are not well made for finish and have a number of tiny pits in the surface. You can polish all day and not get these out. If I ever get the time I may try a Dremel polishing tip.

Lorien

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I expect this to happen to mine too over time. On my VStar Classic, the look of the chrome is so important that they wrap another layer of "chrome metal", so any heat induced damage or discoloration cannot be seen. I will not be bothered much when this happens on the NT. Just look at how many of VStroms out there have a "ratty old looking" pipe in the front. Now, that is not to say that one could try to prevent this from happening as much as one can, but it will be a losing battle. How much are new pipes, by the way?

freezingalaskan

Once again, I'm astonished at how we all seem to converge sometime. I was loading up the website to ask about spotting on my exhaust pipes and there it was. It isn't rust and then Phil comes along with a solution with the European site which I will be looking at in a minute. Thanks.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm astonished at how we all seem to converge sometime

Terry, the only thing I can see wrong with this Forum is that I'm going to have to give up my job and stop riding if I'm going to have the time to keep up with everything interesting!

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Terry, the only thing I can see wrong with this Forum is that I'm going to have to give up my job and stop riding if I'm going to have the time to keep up with everything interesting!
LOL, you got that right!

OP
OP

NCpkwyrider1

Thanks for all the responses! I was gonna wash the NT today but the weather is beautiful, so it's time to hit the BR Parkway.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Karl,

Yours look worse than mine. I don't think either of us would qualify for the "Shiny Downpipe Club" on the Deauville Owners Forum.

Top Bottom