Spotting on my pipes

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
There are waves in the runoff water going across the roads out here at the moment, would rather ride than wash her. When the driveway isn't as muddy she will get shined up again.

Igo

Well that is one of the truly great atributes of the NT. A damp shop rag and she's clean.

OP
OP

NCpkwyrider1

Karl, I appreciate the pictures. This is exactly the same thing I have on my pipes but one of my pipes has the spotting and the other one doesn't. I suspect both will have the spotting eventually. So far, this is the only flaw I have found on the NT.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I use Simichrome polish (The stuff that comes in a tube and is made in Germany) Seems to clean them right up. Our Honda dealer carries it. Another product that works quite well is "Blue Away" I used that on my Triumph with great results years ago.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
It does not strike me as a defect, They are still perfectly serviceable. Will post an after photo after bath time.

OP
OP

NCpkwyrider1

Sailariel, so you had the type of spotting pictured above and the Simichrome polish made the spotting go away? I have tried a few cleaners with no success at all. Thanks.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
How is the shine holding up Tromper? They do look pretty all shined up.

hawa

I have had my header pipes covered by a ceramic coating by Zircotech in the UK. Mainly for the heat insulation as it reduces surface temperatures by 30% and does not heat my tank and fairing so much. My former NT650V had twin walled header pipes and therefore did show neither heat- nor discoloration problems. Sadly, these don't fit on the NT700.
Pretty side effect of the ceramic coating is the permanent solution against discoloration.

Attachments

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That coating looks very good... I cheat and hide my pipes under a Skidmarx lower cowl so I don't have to worry about how they look...:D

buggie13

Hi funny you said this I was just at the Honda shop a few weeks ago because these spots started to appear on my outside header pipe! and my warranty will run out at the end of june so I asked the service manager to make note of it if my pipes fail, due to the spots I think it's something in the metal? now armed with the knowage of other pipes doing it I will consult the Hond rep. my spots look like small rust marks????
also my Engine seems to rattle when fully warmed up?? does anybody else's ?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mine have lots of spots. One of the advantages of the OEM undercowl is that the spots are mostly hidden. :)

OP
OP

NCpkwyrider1

Hi everyone,

I've been off the grid for a while but I'm back now. Hope all my fellow NT riders are doing well.

I just rode my NT from Asheville, NC up to Lake Superior, around the lake and then back home. Total mileage for trip was 3,260 miles. It was an awesome ride!!!

Looking forward to chatting with all of you again,

Rob

Top Bottom