Need a Triumph Guru

Bike
Bonneville T120
All of you Tiger owners, how much trouble are your chains? I've got 15,000 miles on my Bonneville chain and there's little evidence of wear. I use the DuPont Telfon chain lubricant every other tanks of gas and it works very well. My "fear of chains" has completely abated.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have close to 6K miles on my Tiger 800. No sign of wear so far. My DR650 is still on original chain since I bought it in March of 2012. Only adjusted once and no signs of wear on chain or sprockets. It has been used in a wide variety of situations. I just clean the chains really good with kerosene every 500-800 miles depending on use, and use the Dupont Teflon lube after cleaning and when needed. Sometimes the chain stays really clean so it just gets a squirt of teflon stuff every 200-300 miles. Always do the cleaning and/or add teflon lube after a decent ride while the chain is good and warm.

When on a big trip away from home, I will just substitute very liberal use of the Dupont teflon in place of the kerosene. The centerstand on the Tiger makes it very easy to get the rear wheel up and squirt some lube on the chain.
Just keep an eye on it and it isn't a big deal.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I have close to 6K miles on my Tiger 800. No sign of wear so far. My DR650 is still on original chain since I bought it in March of 2012. Only adjusted once and no signs of wear on chain or sprockets. It has been used in a wide variety of situations. I just clean the chains really good with kerosene every 500-800 miles depending on use, and use the Dupont Teflon lube after cleaning and when needed. Sometimes the chain stays really clean so it just gets a squirt of teflon stuff every 200-300 miles. Always do the cleaning and/or add teflon lube after a decent ride while the chain is good and warm.

When on a big trip away from home, I will just substitute very liberal use of the Dupont teflon in place of the kerosene. The centerstand on the Tiger makes it very easy to get the rear wheel up and squirt some lube on the chain.
Just keep an eye on it and it isn't a big deal.
That's essentially my chain maintenance plan with the exception that I do the kerosene cleaning less frequently, but I'm only riding the Bonneville on road. Dupont Teflon lube every other tank of gas.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Will do! It would be fun to meet up for a ride. We are thrilled with Wooster. Great town. There is some sort of "committee" that promotes the downtown and organized events and they do a really good job. Other towns in Ohio and elsewhere should consult with them for advice on how to turn an aging downtown around. We'll see how we do as winter proceeds. One thing I know is that it will be more mild than Maine.

All of you Tiger owners, how much trouble are your chains? I've got 15,000 miles on my Bonneville chain and there's little evidence of wear. I use the DuPont Telfon chain lubricant every other tanks of gas and it works very well. My "fear of chains" has completely abated.
I am approaching 30,000 miles on my 2009 SE Bonneville and it still has the original chain...I do not ride aggressively and chain adjustment between tire changes are not needed...the only real negative I have is the black oil spots that appear on your riding jacket and the mess over the rear of the bike...I definately prefer the shaft on my NT it was the main selling point for me....and that is why I choose it for extended rides..

Bike
Bonneville T120
I am approaching 30,000 miles on my 2009 SE Bonneville and it still has the original chain...I do not ride aggressively and chain adjustment between tire changes are not needed...the only real negative I have is the black oil spots that appear on your riding jacket and the mess over the rear of the bike...I definately prefer the shaft on my NT it was the main selling point for me....and that is why I choose it for extended rides..
What do you use for chain lubricant?

Top Bottom