Whiny drive train

I usually wear ear plugs riding but happened to take it in for a safety without them and was surprised how whiny it was at middle speed ( 20-40 mph )

Is this normal??
thanks

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I usually wear ear plugs riding but happened to take it in for a safety without them and was surprised how whiny it was at middle speed ( 20-40 mph )

Is this normal??
thanks
MacDoc, the whiny drive train is a feature of the NT, not a problem and it's a good reason to always wear earplugs. :)

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The diff is very vocal on overrun. You tune it out after a while.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
The diff is very vocal on overrun. You tune it out after a while.
VOCAL? More like yelling across a crowded room! I panicked soon after I bought the bike, at 18,000km, as I thought it was falling apart. 36,000km later it is still the same and I don't hear it any more (Bluetooth MP3 helps A LOT!). In my mind, it now runs quieter than it did when I bought it. LOL.

Macka

OP
OP
MacDoc
Thought crossed my mind as well.Burgman was sily mooth by comparison.....Wee is noisy too but not quite to the screamer level.
No clever fluid solution to quiet it down???
It's fine with earplugs or earphones.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Dusk Beige NT700V
MacDoc, the whiny drive train is a feature of the NT, not a problem and it's a good reason to always wear earplugs. :)
hhahahaha :D I agree, this feature lets you know your speed even if speedo is broken. And the changing frequency is a gear indicator.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I guess it's like the mysterious handlebar vibration. Some feel it and some don't.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I remember my NT having a transmission or shaft noise when engine braking, but not under steady speed or accelerating. It never seemed to be terribly loud and definitely not an issue. I got to where I never noticed it, even when running around town without earplugs.

You should hear the DR650 transmission whine. LOL Third gear literally whines. It is so loud it makes the noises the NT makes seem subtle and seem luxurious. My new Tiger also makes suspension/chain slap noises on certain bumps. I think the NT has been the quietest bike I have owned. Although it is just the low speed bump noise on the tiger that makes it noiser. Otherwise it would be about the same as the NT.

Top Bottom