Final Drive drain plug torque ?

ett

Well I've had my NT for a little over two weeks now.
And I'm very happy with this bike.
My impression of it is still what I stated in my introduction thread.
It doesn't excel at any one category; but it also does not do anything badly.
It really is a jack-of-all-trades type of bike.
As I told the guys at one of the local independent shops I frequent. It's has the convenience of a scooter without the looks or handling of a scooter. ;)

I've only put a little over 1,000 miles on it. Still riding the Griso as my main transportation; for now.
And although the dealership told me the bike was just serviced.
I still decided to change the motor and final drive oils.

I filled the motor with Honda HP4S 10w30 and the final drive with Royal Purple 75w90.
All went as expected for first time oil change on a new-to-me vehicle.

The oil filter cap wrench I thought fit; did not fit. And had to run out to store to buy correct size wrench 1/2 way through. :doh1:
So now I have yet another filter wrench added to the collection I've obtained over the past 30+ years. :p
I miscalculated how far out the oil would shoot when removing the motor drain plug and missed the drain pan for the first second or two.

The only true issue I encountered is that the Honda Service manual I bought does not specify the torque value for the final drive drain plug.
It appears to list all torque values EXCEPT that plug. And it only states "tighten it".
So I tightened it to what felt reasonable.
But I really would prefer to tighten to a specified value.

Does anyone know where I might find the torque value for the final drive drain plug ?

Thanks;
--ET

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't have a specific torque for the drain plug either.
Another thing to watch for on the NT is to use the correct oil filter. The correct one is short. If a longer filter is installed it can get cut by the centerstand top that swings by it. There are threads on this site discussing it.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
ET, the official torque value for the final drive drain bolt is "gudentite." :rofl1:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The drain plug has a metal sealing washer so torque is not critical; although overtightening could distort the sealing washer. "Hand tight" is good and but if you're worried about it, in the front of the service manual, General Information section, it has a listing of torque values per thread size.

+1 on the warning about using an aftermarket (non-Honda) filter that is too long.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
The drain plug has a metal sealing washer so torque is not critical; although overtightening could distort the sealing washer. "Hand tight" is good and but if you're worried about it, in the front of the service manual, General Information section, it has a listing of torque values per thread size.
I agree, Hand tight is good. I would prefer a little seepage from it not being tight enough over binding & galled threads the next time the oil is changed. Nothing worse than removing an unnecessarily over torqued spark plugs or drain plugs that has a sealing washer.

The torque value in the General Infomation section does not have torque for a 8mm cap screw like the final drive drain plug. It does list 16 ft/lbs for a 8mm hex bolt. Again, I agree, hand tight is fine. 16 ft/lbs seems unreasonably high for the 8mm cap screw used as the final drive drain plug. I would not do 16 ft/lbs, but something like 8-10 ft-lbs would seem more reasonable as the maximum if hand tight wasn't enough. JMHO.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Check Owners Manual page 121 under Final Drive Oil.
Reinstall the oil drain bolt with its sealing washer (or a new washer, if necessary) and tighten it to the specified torque:
9 lbf?ft (12 N?m , 1.2 kgf?m)

Less is better ... don't ask.

OP
OP
ett

ett

Reinstall the oil drain bolt with its sealing washer (or a new washer, if necessary) and tighten it to the specified torque:

Awesome ! Thanks !

I'm so used to owners manuals stating "take to dealer" for any type of servicing or troubleshooting; that I didn't even considering looking at it. :redface:
Plus who would have thought an owners manual would have details that the shop service manual does not.

--ET

Bike
NT700VA-7
As an extension to this question the manual says to replace the drain plug washer but does anybody know with what to replace it? Is it an m8 aluminium crush washer?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I don't think it's an alum crush washer. I seem to recall that it's pretty thin and perhaps made of copper? I've owned 4 Honda motorcycle with final drive and have never changed that washer because it has never leaked!

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Copper and aluminum washers can be annealed. Heat them up red hot with a propane torch and let them cool or quench them in water. This will make them soft again and seal better. Check out annealing on the web.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R

That is also the torque specification for any screw or bolt with an M6 X 1.0mm thread.

Top Bottom